Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Rate and discuss: Blood In The Water

New Bon Jovi Releases

View Poll Results: How do you rate Blood On The Water?
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 2 4.35%
7 4 8.70%
8 8 17.39%
9 20 43.48%
10 12 26.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2020, 09:26 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsambo View Post
then you know nothing about guitars
What a 12-year-old way of thinking.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:28 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Well then, mr expert, I'm sure you can tell us all about why it's so spectacular?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 10-05-2020, 11:25 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

I fully agree that Phil is the lead guitarist who is able to deliver the songs and solo on certain level every show. That's why he plays majority of them and even those that Shanks, who is in the live band, recorded.
And I repeat that he can serve the song if the song exists. For example Always. Not only he plays the main solo closer to the record, even the tone is closer, the outro is something I actually prefer over Richie's (talking about 2013 Richie, not 1995). When he is let loose like in KTF outro, it's cool because it's to show off, I enjoy it but it's not Bon Jovi. Actually Shanks' outro solo in KTF is a prime example that he is not able to improvise (what improvisation this is when you play it every show) and deliver a rocking solo live. He is rather a creator, well he's a producer above all. And in terms of creativity I think he is better at fitting in a certain style. Maybe it takes him various takes to record, we just don't know that's why I think it's strange to state it.
Actually Phil is mainly a session musician as well and plays on many records where he is given borders. So maybe it's him in Blood In The Water playing with certain instructions. It's just that when get creative, it sounds too different. I don't mind it in Beautiful Drug or Born Again Tomorrow but Blood In The Water is so Bon Jovi that anything different would sound inappropriate.
A few months or even a year ago I postet a song by a Czech band for which Phil provided guitars and mainly solos. When I heard it I was thinking about him actually but didn't consider it would have been possible having him on that record. It turned out so! He didn't meet the band at all, they just sent their track to a producer in the US who asked Phil to play. A similar thing happaned with one female member - he was accidentally in the studio another producer was working on her track and they both decided it needed more guitars. That's how today's recording world exists, the players don't even meet. Strange.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 10-05-2020, 11:49 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
I fully agree that Phil is the lead guitarist who is able to deliver the songs and solo on certain level every show. That's why he plays majority of them and even those that Shanks, who is in the live band, recorded.
And I repeat that he can serve the song if the song exists. For example Always. Not only he plays the main solo closer to the record, even the tone is closer, the outro is something I actually prefer over Richie's (talking about 2013 Richie, not 1995). When he is let loose like in KTF outro, it's cool because it's to show off, I enjoy it but it's not Bon Jovi. Actually Shanks' outro solo in KTF is a prime example that he is not able to improvise (what improvisation this is when you play it every show) and deliver a rocking solo live. He is rather a creator, well he's a producer above all. And in terms of creativity I think he is better at fitting in a certain style. Maybe it takes him various takes to record, we just don't know that's why I think it's strange to state it.

Actually Phil is mainly a session musician as well and plays on many records where he is given borders. So maybe it's him in Blood In The Water playing with certain instructions. It's just that when get creative, it sounds too different. I don't mind it in Beautiful Drug or Born Again Tomorrow but Blood In The Water is so Bon Jovi that anything different would sound inappropriate.
A few months or even a year ago I postet a song by a Czech band for which Phil provided guitars and mainly solos. When I heard it I was thinking about him actually but didn't consider it would have been possible having him on that record. It turned out so! He didn't meet the band at all, they just sent their track to a producer in the US who asked Phil to play. A similar thing happaned with one female member - he was accidentally in the studio another producer was working on her track and they both decided it needed more guitars. That's how today's recording world exists, the players don't even meet. Strange.
This is all legitimate, but when Phil was asked to solo on "We Dont Run", despite being more long, it was far worse than the short guitar solo John Shanks did on studio recording. I never thought that I preferred a shorter guitar solo to a longer one, but that's the way it is. I think Phil is not as .... awesome and inspirator as people think.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 10-05-2020 at 11:56 PM..
Old 10-05-2020, 11:53 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Phil X, is a shredder. His guitar playing is as emotionless as it can be.

John Petrucci is superior to Phil X, is also a shredder, but listen to his solos in Dream Theater’s The Spirit Carries On. Phil X just lacks emotion and groove.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:55 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
This is all legitimate, but when Phil was asked to solo on "We Dont Run", despite being more long, it was far worse than the short guitar solo John Shanks did on studio recording. I never thought that I preferred a shorter guitar solo to a longer one, but that's the way it is. I think Phil is not as .... awesome and inspirator as people think.
That's actually a good example. Everything about Shanks' WDR solo works for the song. You can't say it about Phil's. I don't understand the reason to change it. If he didn't record it, play it the way it was and let loose in those extended outros like THINFS, Knockout and GBTM at the end of the tour.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 10-05-2020, 11:57 PM
Price of posting

Although to be fair, the boy deserves a chance. If the next album with more killer riffs, I think Phil's potential would be harnessed.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:02 AM
Jovi Fan

Aren't we supposed to discuss Blood In The Water in this topic?
Old 10-06-2020, 12:04 AM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostorm View Post
Aren't we supposed to discuss Blood In The Water in this topic?
Let's talk about Blood, what did you think of the solo?
Old 10-06-2020, 02:56 AM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry View Post
Phil X, is a shredder. His guitar playing is as emotionless as it can be.

John Petrucci is superior to Phil X, is also a shredder, but listen to his solos in Dream Theater’s The Spirit Carries On. Phil X just lacks emotion and groove.

Not here:

https://youtu.be/dY-D8vNw82A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk