Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Going To Gigs Alone - lame?

Other Bands

Old 03-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Midnight on JoviTalk

Default Going To Gigs Alone - lame?

Is it lame to go to a gig all by yourself? I just bought one ticket to see a-ha (which is lamer, going by myself or buying a ticket for a-ha? ).

A mate and I were gonna see Jovi at Twickers but then he had to pull out, so I didn't buy tickets because I didn't fancy going by myself (ended up going with my parents anyway when tickets went for a tenner each day before).

Then me and the same mate were gonna see Bryan Adams, and the day after I bought the tickets he told me his mum won't let him go. I didn't find a SINGLE DAMN PERSON who wanted to go see Bryan Adams, I was searching until the very week I was going, I got those tickets in May and the gig was in November, man.

I nearly sold the second ticket then I realised I'd still be going on my own! But then at the very last minute I ended up having to take my Dad, which is alright because he's my mate too, but how lame, even lamer than going by yourself.

Then I was going to see Springsteen this July, now that I couldn't care less if anyone joined me on because it was Bruce ****in' Springsteen - but then I myself couldn't make that one due to lack of funds.

But I made a promise to myself that I shall do no waiting for no one and that I will go to whatever damn gigs I can go to, with or without a mate.

So I bought one a-ha ticket and then on Monday I'm gonna ask everyone at college if they wanna come with me <_> What am I supposed to do there myself - talk to myself about the show afterwards?!

I think I might drag a mate to come, and he can at least wait in the 02 Arena until the gig's over, then we'll hang out for the night, they'll save me. But I dunno.

Anyway, more to the point. So I've brought this topic up a couple times to various people and recieved various answers. Some rekon it's stupid to go on your own (unless you're someone who can talk to strangers, I just don't have that confidence), and some said who cares as long as the goer is having fun.

Anyway, opinion time. Whatchoo think? Should I buy a second ticket in hope I meet an a-ha fan sometime before November 4 <_> Or just go by myself and eat, drink, sing and talk to/by myself?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:43 PM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to Chica Guacamole

Personally, I would always prefer t go to a gig with a friend- you have somebody fun to talk to and hang about with when you're travelling to the venue and waiting outside and the like.

However, if it was an artist that I really wanted to see, I wouldn't let a lack of a companion stop me. Once the gig actually starts you don't really notice who you're with, it's just the show that matters. I have been to gigs by myself and not enjoyed it any less than shows that I went to with a friend. Who F***ing cares what other people think of you?

Put a ribbon round my neck and call me a libertine
I will sing you songs of dreams I used to dream

And if you turned around to see me, and I was gone
You should have looked outside your window, 'cause the sun was coming out.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:04 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

This could be your only time you see A-Ha, don't wait for anyone. Just go!

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 PM
These Days

ive gone to a gig alone before (mentioned it another thread recently!) i really enjoyed it to be honest, having no one to talk about it with was pretty shit but i still had a top night and if id definately do it again
Old 03-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Blaze of Posting

I always prefer to go with people, but I've been to gigs alone (Springsteen MSG 2007, Bon Jovi Hammerstein Ballroom Cancer Charity show 200 and loved both shows. I wouldn't let it stop me from seeing someone I really wanted to see.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

It's always fun to go with friends but - if I have a choice of going by myself or not going at all - going by myself wins hands down - especially if it's someone that I really want to hear.

Why stay home? Get out a bit. You might even meet someone at the concert. I have had countless conversations at concerts with people close by me - even when I have gone with someone. It's fun.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Disillusioned Diehard
The Distance

I've done Jovi shows by myself, and I'm going to Bruce next month on my own. I actually met the friend that I now go to most Jovi shows with AT one of the shows I did on my own. Furthermore, even when I go with friends, we usually don't have tickets together, so we're on our own during the show anyway.

I'll admit that for a long time, I wouldn't think of going to a concert by myself. It finally dawned on me that if I didn't care, most likely no one else would. And even if someone else thought it was lame, why would I care?!

Last edited by milomom; 03-28-2009 at 03:02 AM..
Old 03-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Tokyo Road

I've been to loads of gigs alone, and personally I think all that means is my friends are lame for not wanting to come! Sure, I'd probably rather be there with people, would at least make the waiting time more interesting, but there's also something great about not having to worry about getting seperated, and being able to appreciate the gig for yourself.

So yah, being at a gig with mates is great, but being there by yourself is far from lame

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 AM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
I've been to loads of gigs alone, and personally I think all that means is my friends are lame for not wanting to come! Sure, I'd probably rather be there with people, would at least make the waiting time more interesting, but there's also something great about not having to worry about getting seperated, and being able to appreciate the gig for yourself.

So yah, being at a gig with mates is great, but being there by yourself is far from lame

what he said.

Though, I must admit, I now may enjoy going by myself even more than going with some friend who only goes because I asked. Not because that person is just as into the band or whatever.

I have made friends at gigs I went to by myself, but I suppose that is always easier if you are female than male...
I miss the fire that was once in your eyes
Well come on and say something now
Old 03-28-2009, 03:47 AM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to mo_rizwan

Only once have I gone to a gig with a friend (Rolling Stones at The O2). All other times, I'm on my own, but I'm always comfortable in that situation.

When I saw Bon Jovi in Milton Keynes in 2006 for the very first time, I was a learner (being a fan for a year at the time). So I just managed to find a complete stranger (who was following the Band throughout the UK) to enlighten me on a few things.

This year, I'm seeing U2 and Jacko on my own. With Jacko, I just know that somewhere at The O2, I'll bump into a few familiar faces

Last edited by mo_rizwan; 03-28-2009 at 03:50 AM..