Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Winger!

Other Bands

Old 05-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Default Winger!

Anyone here like the band Winger?

I bought the first 2 albums albums for $5 each and I think they are good group... Songs like Madalaine, Seventeen, Rainbow in the Rose and Miles Away are great songs IMO!

Apparently they were heavily critisized in the early 90's for being part of the hairmetal group but (like Jovi) I think these guys were pretty darn talented and quite underrated... too bad they havn't done much as a group since 93..

I read somewhere they are planning on a new album soon btw.

so anyone else like this band or am I the only one?

Old 05-04-2005, 10:59 AM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman
Default Re: Winger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calyx
They have a few good songs, but most of the songs were just musical masturbation by Reb Beech. Talented muscians maybe, but not that talented songwriters.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Posting Always

Default Re: Winger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calyx
They have a few good songs, but most of the songs were just musical masturbation by Reb Beech. Talented muscians maybe, but not that talented songwriters.

Ice
LOL totally agree with that!...IMO, they're even cheesier than Jovi with all that prettyboy image. Nothing to offer musically.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:03 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

I first discovered Winger from the song Battle Stations from the Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey soundtrack yonks ago. I so far have Winger, In The Heart of The Young, Pull and the Best Of.

To some up, I would say their music was like Def Leppard in terms of vocals, but slightly heavier. Reb Beach is a killer guitarist and Kip Winger's voice is cool. They got some great songs but I find their albums don't really flow for me and lack a bit of consistancy. I'm not fussed on their ballads either. Headed For A Heartbreak is ok and I love the guitar on there, but I duno.

From what I've seen on good ol' Youtube, they seem pretty decent live aswell. I saw a clip of Kip playing Easy Come Easy Go solo acoustic, which was awesome. A tricky-lookin song to play and to sing well at the same time.

They're a really talented band musically, they just arrive a bit too late I guess.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.

Last edited by Dave 1986; 02-24-2008 at 02:43 AM..
Old 02-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Price of posting

They are kind of a cheesy band so of course that means i like them.
Albany, NY 12/12/05. JBJ to me from the stage: "You been a good girl this year?" (Reads my sign) "Jon, It's almost Xmas I've been a very good girl! Play Blood on Blood please!" (cue me on the big screen) JBJ: "How good have you been? Oh My God!" (laughs, more teasing) JBJ: "You want it huh, you want it huh? Blood on Blood just for you, the good girl in the front row? The all request hour, the girl in the front row has just asked for Blood on Blood, ok, Merry Christmas young lady!" Amazing <3
Old 02-16-2008, 07:41 PM
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post

Ice
So true

Work, work, work for the workin' man!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Jovi Freak

I actually think that Reb is a very tasteful player. Winger have only one good song, though - In The Day We'll Never See. _ALL_ the others I've ever heard are boring beyond belief.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:46 AM
Posting Always

If I were to recommend a Winger album to someone, it would be the Best Of, and then just download album-tracks like Loosen Up, In The Day We'll Never See, In My Veins and No Mans Land.

Follow me on Twitter

Bon Jovi Concerts:
Old 02-24-2008, 03:39 PM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2k86 View Post
If I were to recommend a Winger album to someone, it would be the Best Of, and then just download album-tracks like Loosen Up, In The Day We'll Never See, In My Veins and No Mans Land.

Yeah, Loosen Up is okay. Had to learn to play it once.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Posting Always

http://www.melodic.net/newsOne.asp?newsId=14250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaj Roth from Melodic.net
Frontiers Records proudly announces the release of WINGER's fifth studio album entitled "Karma" on October 16th in Europe and October 27th in the USA.

WINGER reunited after more than a decade in 2006 for the release of the successful come back album entitled "IV" a record that pushed forward the boundaries of WINGER classic sound to new heights. Dealing with the concept of the military life and what it was like to be a soldier, from a soldier's perspective, leaving politics at the door. "After Winger IV we toured the United States, Europe, Australia and Japan during which made a live record" says Kip Winger. "When the chance came up to do a new Winger record, I envisioned a upbeat totally rocking record that was a cross between the 1st Winger album and Pull. So Reb and I sat down and wrote all the music in a month or so. I worked for 6 months to finish it in the classic Winger style".

The result is an amazing new record where the four band members: Kip Winger (bass and vocals), Reb Beach (guitars now also in Whitesnake), Rod Morgenstein and John Roth shine with an incredible instrumental and vocal prowess at the service of superb Hard Rock songs but with an uncanny sense of melody. The title itself "Karma" represents Winger completing its full musical circle as Kip Winger explains "We were discussing the very interesting path the band has had and we have all been through so much together. So we went for "Karma" as this is a word that truly sums up the experience of being in the band".

WINGER debut album in 1988 on Atlantic achieved platinum status in the United States, and gold in Japan and Canada sporting such hits as "Madalaine", "Seventeen" and "Headed For A Heartbreak". In 1990, the band was nominated for an American Music Award for "Best New Heavy Metal Band". Shortly after, WINGER released its second album "In the Heart of the Young", which went platinum in the U.S. and gold in Japan. The album included WINGER's biggest hit "Miles Away", who topped at #12 of Billboard charts in the USA. Their third and last studio album, "Pull", was recorded in 1992/93 as a three-piece band, following the original keyboard / guitar player Paul Taylor's departure. Produced by Mike Shipley, on the following tour John Roth was called in to replace Paul Taylor.

"Usually Winger fans don't "expect" anything because they know we do what we feel like doing artistically" explains Kip. "It is not a commercially driven band. I can say that the songs are very upbeat". Reb Beach adds: "It's a very up-tempo riff driven rocking record. It has the elements of vintage Winger from '89 but has the blood, sweat and tears of years 20 years of writing, recording and touring!"

"Karma" will be released with the first pressing in limited digipak edition and includes the following songs:

Deal With The Devil; Stone Cold Killer; Big World Away; Come A Little Closer; Pull Me Under; Supernova; Always Within Me; Feeding Frenzy; After All This Time; Witness; First Ending (Bonus Track). Also included there will be an Electronic Press Kit, with footage filmed in the studio during the recording sessions, that is playable on all computers as an interactive bonus.

Follow me on Twitter

Bon Jovi Concerts:

Tags
kip winger, winger