Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

"Randy Rhoads" in the 'Hundred Heroes Column'Thank You notes of Slippery When Wet

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-12-2022, 10:08 PM
Breakout

Default "Randy Rhoads" in the 'Hundred Heroes Column'Thank You notes of Slippery When Wet

Hi peeps, long time.

I was listening to Slippery When Wet the other day, and had a look over the cover and art work. Then noticed Randy Rhoads is being thanked in there - right in between two people called Melissa Snyder and Tom Cunningham. Now it could be a different Randy Rhoads or it could be THE Randy Rhoads. Anyone has any idea?

Some other interesting entries:

Switchbitch, Whipbitch
El Mariachi - My Fren for the Mexican Milk
Local 69 Canada's nest Stripper Union
...reference to Lema Moon
Mary Toledo for Screaming
Davey "the Snake"
Heather
Dirty Anjy on the telephone

Old 09-13-2022, 01:01 AM
Jovi Freak

Randy died in 1982, so, uhm, him being thanked in the Slippery liner notes sure is weird. However, it's also a pretty striking name (especially if it's the very same spelling), so, who knows? Richie probably wasn't unfamiliar with his stuff after all.

Dave Sabo and Jon are childhood friends, so him being mentioned makes sense.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:38 AM
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Randy died in 1982, so, uhm, him being thanked in the Slippery liner notes sure is weird. However, it's also a pretty striking name (especially if it's the very same spelling), so, who knows? Richie probably wasn't unfamiliar with his stuff after all.

Dave Sabo and Jon are childhood friends, so him being mentioned makes sense.
I have checked the liner notes of Bon Jovi and 7800 and New Jersey too and there is no mention of any Randy Rhoads (yes, identical spelling btw). So this sure is weird. Maybe some revelation Richie had or something in the studio....wish I knew. I don't suppose Randy Rhoads was ever mentioned in any interviews by the band?
Old 09-13-2022, 12:53 PM
Jovi Freak

This article (http://www.mmusicmag.com/features/V3...ptOct-2012.pdf) mentions Richie using "a JCM2000 and a JCM800 with Randy Rhoads heads". Was there Randy Rhoads signature gear out by the time they were doing Slippery?
Old 09-13-2022, 06:53 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
This article (http://www.mmusicmag.com/features/V3...ptOct-2012.pdf) mentions Richie using "a JCM2000 and a JCM800 with Randy Rhoads heads". Was there Randy Rhoads signature gear out by the time they were doing Slippery?
I know the Jackson Rhoads guitars had been out since the early 80s, but am not sure on the gear. For me, this is the obvious answer but even then thanking Rhoads directly seems weird. Must be someone the band knew with the same name.

Richie undoubtedly knew who Rhoads was, and maybe was influenced by him. But was that influence great enough to include him on the liner notes over other influences Richie has been far more vocal about over the years?
Old 09-14-2022, 07:32 AM
Breakout

Quote:
This is great. Thank you so much for sharing. On the first 3 records, Richie sounded much more like a Randy Rhoads disciple than Hendrix, Clapton or Van Halen or whoever he mentions as his heroes over the years. Maybe with New Jersey, the bluesier sound started coming out. On Slippery, I actually always thought there was the most Randy Rhoads influence of all albums. But having him in the liner notes is still a stretch....ahh too bad.

Maybe one day someone can ask him or Jon?