Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Fields Of Fire - Studio Track -Recorded on KTF or TD sessions??

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-21-2022, 05:57 PM
Price of posting

Default Fields Of Fire - Studio Track -Recorded on KTF or TD sessions??

Fields Of Fire - Studio Track -Recorded on KTF or TD sessions??

In the past, I remember discussing this on Jovitalk. I've always believed that the studio version of Fields Of Fire was recorded in the 1994 sessions for These Days, but was scrapped when other songs came up in the composition, as was Prostitute. And finally it was included in some reissues of These Days with some kind of typo in the information about the recording.

When MTV Unplugged 1992 UNCUT and their rehearsals leaked, I felt that everything I suspected could be true. Just look at the structure of the song when they play it, not even the intro is the same. The bridge and the guitar solo are executed differently.

Even when Jon did an acoustic version on the 1993 Birmingham show, still sounded like Unplugged 92.

I've always argued in the past, that the sound and instrumentation didn't sound like a Keep The Faith song, its sound was closer to the These Days album. Listening to the Fields Of Fire intro with those guitar arrangements just takes me back to the intro of Something for The Pain and the Hey God outro. All this would not be so far-fetched, since they did different re-recordings of Diamond Ring for years.

Another theory, could be, that they remade (partially) the 1992 studio track sometime in 1994-1995 with all those changes to fit the sound of the These Days album... with the intention of including it as a bonus track or b-side.

Thoughts?

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 09-21-2022 at 06:13 PM..

Old 09-21-2022, 06:13 PM
Jovi Freak

Man, that vocal is tough. Even in '93, Jon had to put in some serious effort to hit those notes. Was that the one they'd said became a bonus track because there's no way they could have done it live on a regular basis?
Old 09-21-2022, 06:15 PM
Something for the Posts

In my opinion it was the original demo for KTF but when it came to releasing the special edition they wen't back into the studio and touched up parts of those old demos and added to them and made them feel more like finished tracks.

There is an interview from VH-1 in the UK with Jon and Dave and they say that they are in the studio working on bonus tracks for the special edition of These Days. If Dave was there, then I would imagine that re-recording and adding some parts would have been done.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:21 PM
Jovi Freak

Also... gotta admire how they wrote and re-wrote bits and pieces of a track that eventually didn't even make the album back then. You can really tell WHY the newer tracks usually feel like good ideas, but never masterpieces that reach their full potential.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:23 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Man, that vocal is tough. Even in '93, Jon had to put in some serious effort to hit those notes. Was that the one they'd said became a bonus track because there's no way they could have done it live on a regular basis?
No, that was Starting All Over Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
In my opinion it was the original demo for KTF but when it came to releasing the special edition they wen't back into the studio and touched up parts of those old demos and added to them and made them feel more like finished tracks.

There is an interview from VH-1 in the UK with Jon and Dave and they say that they are in the studio working on bonus tracks for the special edition of These Days. If Dave was there, then I would imagine that re-recording and adding some parts would have been done.

Interesting. So we could be talking about partial reworked. The sound and arrangements of this song always fited better in my playlist as a These Days song.

Maybe Yovana could give us more clues, as she owns a demo tape of KTF sessions 1992, which includes Fields Of Fire.

Yovana, I summon you! We need your knowledge to solve this mystery.

Is the Fields Of Fire demo tape (that you have) the same as the live version of Unplugged 1992? or is the same as the studio track that was released on the 1996 special edition of These Days?

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 09-22-2022 at 09:14 AM..
Old 09-22-2022, 06:01 AM
Jovi Freak

First of all, I love... Fields Of Fire; I have 3, the 3 of them are way heavier than the final track and than the other versions on youtube.
They are more rock, very different than the Unplugged...
They are very Keep The Faith and have a longer intro with an electric guitar only. It's almost like the Fields Of Fire on youtube are acoustic and what I have is the electric version...
So the demos are better. 2 of them are my favorites, because they have additional lyrics, plus one at the end is SUPER HIGH..., and the other have a scream!
Old 09-22-2022, 09:12 AM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
First of all, I love... Fields Of Fire; I have 3, the 3 of them are way heavier than the final track and than the other versions on youtube.
They are very Keep The Faith and have a longer intro with an electric guitar only. It's almost like the Fields Of Fire on youtube are acoustic and what I have is the electric version...
So the demos are better. 2 of them are my favorites, because they have additional lyrics, plus one at the end is SUPER HIGH..., and the other have a scream!
That is monstrously interesting and revealing.

Thanks Yovana. So Bon Jovi flirted a lot more than I thought with heavier songs for KTF.

So we can say with almost certainty that the final version of Fields of Fire was reworked, either full or partial, and that it probably happened in the 1994 sessions and mixed for These Days. Perhaps for the purpose of being included as a bonus track or b-side on next singles... and ending in that special edition of 1996

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 09-22-2022 at 09:22 AM..
Old 09-25-2022, 01:29 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

I really wish that there had been more of Jon and Ritchie switching off on singing lead vocals. It might have helped saved Jon's voice and I think Ritchie would have been happier.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:41 AM
Jovi Freak

While I agree, I gotta say that the version with the vocal switch feels a bit disjointed. Then again, the part itself is different, too. But generally, I agree. I too woulda enjoyed more Richie vocals!
Old 09-26-2022, 02:32 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
why not share with us, mere mortals?
Keep The Faith
Bounce
Lost Highway
This House Is Not For Sale
Crush
The Circle
Bon Jovi
7800º Fahrenheit
Have A Nice Day
Burning Bridges
What About Now