Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Happy 25th Anniversary

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Happy 25th Anniversary

Blaze of Glory!!! August 7, 1990. I played that album to death.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:38 PM
The Distance

You and I Both!!!!

I know I get nostalgic at times but this was one of the greatest moments in my life and far as the times went.

The world was different and the entire music scene was just so fitting. I was 16 years old and had friends that were just starting to drive. It was that perfect youthful age!!!

I'll never forget the first time I heard Blaze. There was no warning. I just turned on the radio one day and there it was. Every band sounded similar to Bon Jovi at that time so it took me a while to solidify that it was in fact them (or what I thought was them, after realizing that it was him).

I remember listening to the radio non-stop to capture the next recording of it. Either the actual single wasn't released yet or I couldn't get to the music store (the Wiz) but I listened to that recording, from the radio, 24/7. I even made copies for my friends with the DJ talking over the beginning and the end. There was radio static throughout the entire recording and the quality was tainted from using cheap cassette tapes but back then, we didn't know any other way!!!

When I finally got the tape of the entire soundtrack, I listened to it for 18 hours straight. We took a family vacation from Jersey to Florida and it was an 18 hour car ride. I had that thing going on my 'walkman' and over the car stereo, to and from, the entire trip. My mother still loves Bang A Drum and if I play it, it reminds her of that family vacation. My sister had her New Kids On The Block tape and I wouldn't let her play it.

It was the soundtrack to that summer and both videos were even bigger! When MTV actually played videos and you couldn't walk into a house without it being on!!! We would literally sit there for hours watching videos. Watch videos, talk, laugh, eat, and spend quality time together. Now everyone is glued to their phones and the illusions that go along with it. Anyway!!! That's how I remember Blaze.

When you are 16 years old, 2 months could feel like 2 years. Although Richie's album came out shortly after, Blaze had a major impact on my life and it's still my go to album. I still think that 1990 was Jon's musical prime.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Something for the Posts

That means it's also the 25th anniversary of this perfect storm between Jon and MTV's Julie "The White One" Brown. Legend has it that it resulted in some Hollywood execs trying to interest them in doing a movie:

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 08-26-2015 at 12:30 AM..
Old 08-08-2015, 12:46 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I remember hearing the single on the radio before the album came out and I heard the edited version first. My friend Julie and I practically lived at each other's houses during the summer. I turned 15 that summer so I got my driver's license. I made a tape with Blaze back to back. It took exactly 2 listens to get from my house to Julie's. We'd stay up all night and listen to the radio and we always called the nighttime DJ on the radio station and would talk to him for a long time. He loved it because it was 2:00 AM and he nobody to talk to but us anyway. He knew how crazy we were for Bon Jovi. I didn't have cable TV so I didn't get to see the video or hear the whole song for a while. Eventually I heard the whole song. Well, I called the radio station one night and I said, "Well, I finally heard all of Blaze of Glory!" and the DJ said, "Is this a momentous occasion for you?" I said, "You KNOW it is!" He said, "I do?" I said, "Is this *** ***?" and he said "No, this is *** ***" I was so embarrassed! I explained to him that I talked to the other guy every night and he knew exactly what hearing Blaze of Glory would have meant to me.

Also, I had no idea WHEN the album was going to be released. I just fretted that Jon had an album out and I didn't have it yet. (We lived nowhere near a store that sold records.) It came time to go back to school shopping, so Julie's mom took us to Jackson to the mall. As soon as we got close to the record store, I rushed in and asked if they had Blaze of Glory. They had a HUGE display of it right at the front of the store because it had come out THAT DAY!! I bought it and spent the rest of the day reading lyrics in the dressing room while Julie tried on clothes. I bought a few things, but I didn't care too much about new clothes. I was more of a Wal-Mart shopper anyway.

When we got in the car to leave, we put the cassette in. When it started with "Yoo-hoo, I'll make you famous," Julie's mother nearly wrecked the car because it startled her so badly! LOL

Anyway, I listed to that cassette over and over and over and over and over. I listed to it every morning before school and I listed to it on repeat every afternoon. I would go walking for hours and just listen to it over and over again. Those were the days. I don't think the music has ever been better or life has ever been better. I called Julie this afternoon and reminded her about our shopping trip that day. She immediately remembered her mother getting startled by the "Yoo hoo." She denied how much she was spending on jeans back then!
Old 08-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
(Text)
That is a great story. No trace of irony either. I know I've given you shit for bitching about Richie and everything from time to time, but I love stories about how much music means or meant to people. It's really tapping into a source of innocence and integrity that I will always have a huge respect for, especially for boldly stating it and wearing it proud.

Also, really cool that you're still in contact with that friend from way back then!