Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Can someone explain the Alec/Hugh thing?

General BJ Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Just posting

Default Can someone explain the Alec/Hugh thing?

I really don't understand (and never have) this. So as we all know, it's been said that Hugh played on every album, yet Alec toured with the band through KTF. Why? Was Alec not capable of performing in the studio, but on stage? Was Hugh capable of performing in the studio and not on stage? Was is it an image thing?

I guess bottom line is, why was Alec even necessary?

Old 11-08-2017, 03:58 PM
The Distance

This is question that I'd like to know the answer to too...

"Playing On Every Album" doesn't mean playing 100% of every song on every album, or does it?

- I do get that there are studio musicians who are better with writing and being specific when it comes to it's parts...

- Hugh has zero stage presence. Maybe in a band like Weezer but not for Bon Jovi... so I get why they used someone else...

- There is the rumored 2 for 1 deal between him and Tico... I don't know if it was a deal breaker or how extreme it was but...

- Back to stage presence, Alec has/had a sick Falsetto... He is missed on the These Days tour and definitely even more so missed going forward... I think Bobby was supposed to be Alec's replacement but didn't really have that chemistry.

- If you listen to the rehearsals from the MTV KTF NYC Promo, you really do get a true feel of the relationship between him and Jon... Alec is very difficult and diva like and you can hear frustration in Jon's voice. I think there is even a part where Jon snapped at him too...

- Did he quit or get fired? IMO Jon fired him.. Alec wanted to slow down a little after the KTF Tour and Jon took it as "he's quitting" but in reality, I think they were just on two different pages and Jon got rid of him...

Which is essentially the same things that drove Richie out 20 years later... Richie wants to slow down, he feels that Bon Jovi are cranking out manufactured albums and nothing more than an corporate machine... I don't blame him for leaving... I just fault him for walking out on the fans... And now for making these shit songs with his girlfriend even though he has no corporate ties (Sorry didn't mean to turn this into a Richie topic - back to Alec)

So yeah, the magic question is, was Alec ever in the studio? Hugh played on every album but did he play on every song? Did he play 100% of every song? After Fahrenheit, we are only talking about three albums... but a shitload of demos...

Last edited by Rdkopper; 11-09-2017 at 05:26 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 04:03 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Alec was there because of his stage presence, vocals and looks. He could play bass well but Hueys style was a better fit for the sound. It's simple as that. We really don't know how many uncredited musicians played on all the albums, there were probably much more. Look at bands like Kiss or Aerosmith, they also had many ghost-musicians. Jon decided not to replace Alec, so he did it like the Stones in 1994...

Right now of course Hugh is a full member, due to Richies leaving etc.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:23 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bluesman View Post
Alec was there because of his stage presence, vocals and looks. He could play bass well but Hueys style was a better fit for the sound. It's simple as that. We really don't know how many uncredited musicians played on all the albums, there were probably much more. Look at bands like Kiss or Aerosmith, they also had many ghost-musicians. Jon decided not to replace Alec, so he did it like the Stones in 1994...

Right now of course Hugh is a full member, due to Richies leaving etc.
- I really don't think Hugh is official. No more than Phil is... Jon needs bodies for photo shoots, videos, and album covers but when they do press, it's still Jon, Tico and Dave... I think there is a difference between "official band members" and being part of the official Bon Jovi corporation if you get my drift...

- Sure there are ghost musicians but not so much in Bon Jovi's case... I can't see Jon getting in another drummer for Tico. The same with Dave. and especially Richie... There might be musicians thrown in for other small instrumental parts but not the core ones...
Old 11-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Jovi Freak

Alec was fired. At that time, first reason to keep Alec: he was an original member and JBJ always held and hold in his heart the original members 'cause he said they believed in the dream when he didn't have money, second reason: come on! Alec with his high voice, the choruses!!! the choruses!!!, third reason: the rock 'n' roll look and more reasons including $_$...
Old 11-08-2017, 06:36 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
This is question that I'd like to know the answer to too...

"Playing On Every Album" doesn't mean playing 100% of every song on every album, or does it?

- I do get that there are studio musicians who are better with writing and being specific when it comes to it's parts...

- Hugh has zero stage presence. Maybe in a band like Weezer but not for Bon Jovi... so I get why they used someone else...

- There is the rumored 2 for 1 deal between him and Tico... I don't know if it was a deal breaker or how extreme it was but...

- Back to stage presence, Alec has/had a sick Falsetto... He is missed on the These Days tour and definitely even more so missed going forward... I think Bobby was supposed to be Alec's replacement but didn't really have that chemistry.

- If you listen to the rehearsals from the MTV KTF NYC Promo, you really do get a true feel of the relationship between him and Jon... Alec is very difficult and diva like and you can hear frustration in Jon's voice. I think there is even a part where Jon snapped at him too...

- Did he quit or get fired? IMO Jon fired him.. Alec wanted to slow down a little after the KTF Tour and Jon took it as "he's quitting" but in reality, I think they were just on two different pages and Jon got rid of him...

Which is essentially the same things that drove Richie out 20 years later... Richie wants to slow down, he feels that Bon Jovi are cranking out manufactured albums and nothing more than an corporate machine... I don't bame him for leaving... I just fault him for walking out on the fans... And now for making these shit songs with his girlfriend even though he has no corporate ties (Sorry didn't mean to turn this into a Richie topic - back to Alec)

So yeah, the magic question is, was Alec ever in the studio? Hugh played on every album but did he play on every song? Did he play 100% of every song? After Fahrenheit, we are only talking about three albums... but a shitload of demos...
I think you're mostly spot on. Looks and stage presence was very important in the 80s the way Bon Jovi was marketed.

The only thing perhaps missing is Alec doing several stupid interviews bashing Jon at the end of his stint. That had to be a major contributing factor for Jon firing him and that is why the Alec-Richie comparison does not fully make sense. You don't see Richie saying anything negative about Jon even when he's out of the band.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:40 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
I think you're mostly spot on. Looks and stage presence was very important in the 80s the way Bon Jovi was marketed.

The only thing perhaps missing is Alec doing several stupid interviews bashing Jon at the end of his stint. That had to be a major contributing factor for Jon firing him and that is why the Alec-Richie comparison does not fully make sense. You don't see Richie saying anything negative about Jon even when he's out of the band.
He kinda did though by bashing the catalog...
Old 11-08-2017, 06:50 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
- I really don't think Hugh is official. No more than Phil is... Jon needs bodies for photo shoots, videos, and album covers but when they do press, it's still Jon, Tico and Dave... I think there is a difference between "official band members" and being part of the official Bon Jovi corporation if you get my drift...
This this this. He may have gotten a pay increase once Richie left but the photos need to look full and look like a band and a trio doesn't do that. Hell he was only included on the Real Life single cover because Dave hurt his hand.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Which is essentially the same things that drove Richie out 20 years later... Richie wants to slow down, he feels that Bon Jovi are cranking out manufactured albums and nothing more than an corporate machine... I don't bame him for leaving... I just fault him for walking out on the fans... And now for making these shit songs with his girlfriend even though he has no corporate ties (Sorry didn't mean to turn this into a Richie topic - back to Alec)

That is a brilliant summary, I must say 😂👍
Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Jovi Fan

Quote:

Can you explain this one please?