Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

What If Crossroad were a double album?

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 10:44 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
I'm answering my own question and going with the final version of the first recording... Maybe not mixed and mastered but definitely too much going on to just be a demo.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
I'm not sure tbh, but those backing vocals sound very demo-y to my ears.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:29 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
I'm not sure tbh, but those backing vocals sound very demo-y to my ears.
That box set version was recorded in the UK in 1993 and I think it was the one Jon intended to give to the film - until he saw the movie.
Maybe it was a rough version in terms of showing the producers how the song was going to be and Jon would've reworked it, had he liked the movie.
So somewhere in-between a complete demo and a finished one.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2020, 01:53 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986
Default What If Crossroad were a double album?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Even though nobody cares about my tracklist, I'm happy to stir up a debate about golden old times.
Sorry, thanks to me and a few others, your thread has turned into something else.

I do like your track list for a Disc 2 and I think if Cross Road we’re to have been a double album instead of, or as well as, what was released, your track list would have pretty much been it.

When talking about this, I can’t help but think of Def Leppard’s 2004 Best Of album which the single disc version was the hits, then the 2CD version where the 2nd disc had not-so-hit singles and album tracks. But that was 25 years/10 albums into their career, which then brings me back to the argument of why Cross Road only ever needed to be one disc.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.

Last edited by Dave 1986; 06-16-2020 at 01:56 PM..
Old 06-16-2020, 02:04 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Maybe it was a rough version in terms of showing the producers how the song was going to be and Jon would've reworked it, had he liked the movie.
I don't think it was too rough of a version.
It seems pretty finished with a nice bass-line/licks (or whatever you wanna call those little slides in between) and even an acoustic guitar solo.
The demos or rough demos we are used to from the band usually don't have those kind of details.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:34 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
I don't think it was too rough of a version.

It seems pretty finished with a nice bass-line/licks (or whatever you wanna call those little slides in between) and even an acoustic guitar solo.

The demos or rough demos we are used to from the band usually don't have those kind of details.
I'd also say it's too far fleshed out for a pure demo. And backing vocals could've been lifted from a demo if they were regarded as that good. They did the same on the These Days record.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2020, 04:40 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
I didn't realise when I posted it but my tracklisting is verytsimilar to yours albeit in a different order!
Yep, we obviously used very similar logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
Jon said the title was because the band had reached a crossroads or cross road in their career. They knew These Days would sound much different to previous releases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
English is obviously not my first language so help me out here please. Is a cross road and a crossroad the same? When I search dictionaries I can't find a cross road, only a crossroad without the space. Does it have any special meaning or difference compared to the one-word version?

You write about something different. A crossroads is the intersection where a crossroad crosses the main road, isn't it?

So if the name of the album were Crossroads, it would mean they came up to a place where they're choosing what way to go.

If the name is Crossroad, it means that they turned away from the main road to the crossroad, so they've already chosen I kinda get the meaning behind but it would make more sense if These Days were called Crossroad than the compilation.

The best name for a compilation would be Crossroads meaning the crossroads in their career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 1986 View Post
Sorry, thanks to me and a few others, your thread has turned into something else.

I do like your track list for a Disc 2 and I think if Cross Road we’re to have been a double album instead of, or as well as, what was released, your track list would have pretty much been it.

When talking about this, I can’t help but think of Def Leppard’s 2004 Best Of album which the single disc version was the hits, then the 2CD version where the 2nd disc had not-so-hit singles and album tracks. But that was 25 years/10 albums into their career, which then brings me back to the argument of why Cross Road only ever needed to be one disc.
That's fine as I've mentioned before, I'm happy that a debate was started

Even though some crucial tracks were missing (BTBMB, Living In Sin, ITA and NSG on US version), they didn't have enough material for a double-disc of just singles or hits. But my list shows that it could have been possible to make one to present the band to the public.

I know what you're talking about mentioning Def Leppard. I've also made my tracklists using that logic which I think is the best one. I've got one double-disc for 1984-1995 and one for (1997)2000 - 2013. I'm wondering if I should start a new topic or put it there
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 06-16-2020, 05:29 PM
Price of posting

@Johny Cross Road and crossroads are the same thing really.
We would say it like this...looking at my career im at a cross road/crossroads.
Means you've come to a point where you have to make a decision...left or right as carry on ahead isn't an option.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo

Tags
cross road