Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

To the "Alec" lovers:

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda
Default To the "Alec" lovers:

What is your reasoning behind liking Alec more and wanting him back?

Apart from the stage presence that the rest of the band already had at that point in their careers, he did nothing all that good for the band. He was more like a lead weight dragging them down. I'm just really curious to why people have these "Alec Fan clubs" on facebook and whatnot.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Many people feel that Alec's looks were right for the band. He LOOKED cool, he had attitude. I agree to a point but to me, as always, it's the music that counts and Hugh is a much better bass player. Yes he just sorta stands there but I'd rather hear the music played well then have someone onstage just for show.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:56 AM
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Many people feel that Alec's looks were right for the band. He LOOKED cool, he had attitude. I agree to a point but to me, as always, it's the music that counts and Hugh is a much better bass player. Yes he just sorta stands there but I'd rather hear the music played well then have someone onstage just for show.
This. Some people care more about the onstage persona, I care more about the music. Would I like Hugh to be a little more energetic? Sure I would. But if it sacrifices the musical integrity of the band, then no way.

And who's to say Alec would be running around the stage nowadays?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:03 AM
The Distance

Alec was part of Bon Jovi for 12 years during their greatest years. You just didn't grow up seeing Alec in the band, so you don't get it. Nikki Sixx isn't that great of a bass player either. Should Motley replace him with Hugh also? Bass is bass. Lets get real here. Bon Jovi would sound exactly the same if Alec was still in the band. It wasn't about his playing anyway. It was about $$$$$$$....

He added vocally too. Listen to Drift Away.......

Start around 3:12..... The high note at 3:17 is Alec....Not Richie...... They were a true quartet. It was chemistry.....

Jon and Richie were the pretty boys. Tic and Alec were the cool dudes. And Dave..... Well he had the same hair as he does today.

Last edited by Rdkopper; 09-20-2011 at 05:09 AM..
Old 09-20-2011, 05:06 AM
It's my post

^^^
That reminds me. I HATED Alec's voice.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Blaze of Posting

The Alec fans want Alec back mainly for nostalgia IMO. That's the Bon Jovi of the "glory days" that many of them fell in love with. I also think that so much has been made out of the "Brotherhood" aspect of the band, that it rubs some the wrong way that one of the originals isn't there anymore. Hughie is a far superior bass player anyway (not to mention the fact that it's all but been confirmed that he played on all the albums)

Last edited by Crushgen24/88; 09-20-2011 at 05:28 AM..
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 View Post
The Alec fans want Alec back mainly for nostalgia IMO. That's the Bon Jovi of the "glory days" that many of them fell in love with. I also think that so much has been made out of the "Brotherhood" aspect of the band, that it rubs some the wrong way that one of the originals isn't there anymore. Hughie is a far superior bass player anyway (not to mention the fact that it's all but been confirmed that he played on all the albums)
That has always been said, but for my understanding it does not mean that Hugh played on every song. Maybe Alec wasn't really that reliable or not creative enough with his parts, but I still say he played in the studio at least part of the time...
Old 09-20-2011, 06:25 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Personally, Alec always gave me the creeps.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:31 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
That has always been said, but for my understanding it does not mean that Hugh played on every song. Maybe Alec wasn't really that reliable or not creative enough with his parts, but I still say he played in the studio at least part of the time...
Alec was not replaced because of his bass playing. Jon said that in the Behind The Music and he's full of shit. It was because of money. And that's why the entire band almost broke up after the Jersey tour. Again, because of money. It had nothing to do with Richie looking over Jon's shoulder. Jon had these guys under his contract and didn't pay them what they thought they were worth. So first it was blamed on the long tour and then Jon being a bigger star than Richie. BS

If either one of them made it big solo 90', Bon Jovi would have been done! (Blaze was successful but record sales were nothing compared to Bon Jovi's.)

Last edited by Rdkopper; 09-20-2011 at 06:34 AM..
Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Bass is bass. Lets get real here. Bon Jovi would sound exactly the same if Alec was still in the band.
Disagree. I never cared for his style of playing.