Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Terrorism at concerts

NBJ - Everything Else

Old 05-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Terrorism at concerts

I am sure everyone has heard about the bombing at the Ariana Grande concert last night in Manchester. As avid concert goers, does this affect you at all? Do you feel safe, do you hesitate to attend more shows, or do you say you can't stop living by giving into fear?

Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Posting everyday

I'm goint to attend the KISS concert in Frankfurt tonight and I've decided not to think about. Just as I did while attending a football match of Bayern Munich just one week after the attacks during the match in Paris.
If I let this get close to me at some point I wouldn't go anywhere anymore. And - as shallow as it may sound - if my fate is to get blown away by a bomb at some concert, soccer match or at some train station, then so be it. Not much I could do about that any way.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Dry County

Going to GnR in London in just over 3 weeks, and I'm not afraid to admit that the events of last night concern me. Thing is, it's not so much the idea of being killed, but the fact that my 2 kids aren't coming with us, so if similar happened they'd be orphaned.
However, there's just as much chance of a repeat as there is of me getting hit by a bus on my way home from work tonight.
Security at major concerts and events, certainly in London will be stepped up massively.
Made a change of plan in terms of how we're getting there/back. Going to drive rather than be cattle herded towards the station.

Milton Keynes Bowl 1996
The Forum 1997 (Jon)
Shepherd's Bush Empire 1998 (Richie)
Wembley Stadium 2000 (Sat)
Wembley Stadium 2000 (Sun)
Milton Keynes Bowl 2001
CD:UK 2002
Shepherd's Bush Empire 2002
Wembley Arena 2002 (Capital Request)
Wolverhampton 2003
Milton Keynes Bowl 2006
O2 Arena 2007
Twickenham 2008
O2 Arena 2010 (19th June)
O2 Arena 2010 (25th June - 40 mins of it anyway!)
Villa Park 2013
Hyde Park 2013
Old 05-23-2017, 08:48 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

I went to 10 Bruce Springsteen shows in Giants Stadium after 9/11. Every time a plane flew over the stadium my heart started pounding. If 2 planes only took out approx. 3,000 people imagine flying a plane into a stadium with 60,000 Bruce fans. I still think of it, but I refuse to stay at home either.

I ride trains daily, I drive over bridges daily and I go to a lot of theater and concerts. If it happens, there isn't much I can do about it anyway. I could stay home and be mostly protected, but that's not much of a life is it? So at this point I'm still taking my chances.

I will say that the security at Madison Square Garden and Giants (MetLife) Stadium has been upgraded so heavily I can't even get recording equipment in. They now have full body scanners and even a wallet sets it off. A determined terrorist can find a way in I'm sure.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

An absolutely horrific night last night. Very upsetting hearing about all the young victims today. The vermin to target a concert attended by so many youngsters, just cannot comprehend that person being a so called human.

Despite security measures, this was done when people were leaving, so any measures on the way in would have made no difference last night. It's the same at any mass gathering, concert, sports event. It's really sad, I go regularly to concerts and football matches and it's a shame to have to be on such alert now.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 05-24-2017, 12:47 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

I rarely go to gigs these days (not because I'm afraid of anything. I just don't do a lot of them anymore) but something like this doesn't put me off doing so. It's easy to feel uneasy after certain events such as last night but if everyone did this, that means these evil perverse individuals have won. Which they haven't and never will.

I'm going to London Film and Comic Con in July for the third year running. Am I scared? Not really, and I'm gonna be just as on my guard walking around London as much as I always have been there and anywhere else I go. As much as we'd all rather these horrible events didn't happen, what makes the UK and other countries great is we just soldier on and get on with life and not let said people get in the way of that.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:33 PM
Something for the Posts

It depends on the band -- and the music genre. I've always been more worried about bands who attract hellraising fans than terrorists.

P.S. I wouldn't be caught dead at hiphop concert because I would be caught dead at a hiphop concert!

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...
Old 05-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknation View Post
It depends on the band -- and the music genre. I've always been more worried about bands who attract hellraising fans than terrorists.

P.S. I wouldn't be caught dead at hiphop concert because I would be caught dead at a hiphop concert!
True, but I remember my Mother telling me not to see Led Zeppelin because of those hell raising fans. Boy am I glad I ignored the advice LOL

You write your truth and I'll write mine.

Last edited by Kathleen; 05-24-2017 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Something for the Posts

This just in: ...Sources at Live Nation tell us refunds will be available for UK concerts featuring Katy Perry, Iron Maiden, KISS, Waka Flocka Flame, Robbie Williams, Phil Collins, Depeche Mode, and James Arthur...if they're too scared to attend...

The decision to refund tickets in England is partly because of the attack at the Ariana Grande concert and partly because the Prime Minister has made it clear...another attack seems imminent....(T)hey are having discussions at offices worldwide, and they expect to come up with a policy soon.

(According to)...(o)ne Live Nation source..."We've gotten about a thousand media calls but very few consumer calls asking for refunds."

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 05-24-2017 at 09:46 PM..
Old 06-02-2017, 11:17 PM
Something for the Posts

German Festival ROCK AM RING Evacuated Over 'Terrorist Threat'

German police have called for an evacuation of the popular Rock Am Ring festival in Nürburg over a "terrorist threat." More than 80,000 fans are attending the three-day event, which was scheduled to run until Sunday.

The organizers said in a statement: "Due to a terrorist threat, the police have advised us to interrupt the festival.

"We ask all festival visitors to leave the festival site in a calm and controlled manner towards the exits and camping grounds. We have to support the police investigations.

"All visitors will be kept informed about any developments on all Rock Am Ring social media channels, radio and the speakers. We hope that the festival will continue tomorrow. Thank you for your cooperation."

Update: Rock Am Ring resumed the next day.

Last edited by rocknation; 06-09-2017 at 10:41 PM..