Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ovation guitar AUTOGRAPHED by Jon Bon Jovi @ Stone Pony 1/29

General BJ Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you know somebody, or know somebody who knows somebody who has committed suicide?
Yes 2 28.57%
No 3 42.86%
I know someone who has tried but failed to complete suicide 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Suddenly

Default Ovation guitar AUTOGRAPHED by Jon Bon Jovi @ Stone Pony 1/29

L.I.V.E. - ROCK FOR LIFE CONCERT STARRING JODY JOSEPH & THE AVERAGE JOES AND SPECIAL GUESTS

Jody Joseph, Friends And Students Join Together To Increase Awareness About Teenage Suicide In New Jersey

Asbury Park, NJ January 12, 2005 -- Jody Joseph, a popular New Jersey music instructor, frontperson for the well known Shore act Jody Joseph & The Average Joes and first cousin to pop music icon Jon Bon Jovi has teamed up with the local Chapter of Yellow Ribbon International® to announce the L.I.V.E. - Rock For Life Concert to benefit directly the Yellow Ribbon Suicide Prevention Program® (http://www.yellowribbon.org). The event will take place on Saturday, January 29, 2005 at the Stone Pony, 913 Ocean Avenue, Asbury Park, New Jersey, 732-502-0600 at 6:00 PM.

The number one priority of L.I.V.E. is to increase awareness about teenage suicide, which has become an epidemic in Monmouth County, New Jersey. 8 Monmouth County teens have completed suicide in the past 16 months compared to 1 in the 4 years preceding that.

The L.I.V.E. - Rock For Life Concert is the vision of Jody Joseph who felt compelled to spread the word about teenage suicide prevention after the loss of one of her students, Stephanie Fritz at the age of 15. Shortly after her passing, Jody approached Stephanie's father, Scott Fritz with the concept of a benefit concert. Fritz, who is the head of the recently formed New Jersey Chapter of Yellow Ribbon International®, was receptive to her idea and the L.I.V.E. concept was born. (L.I.V.E. is an acronym created by Joseph's own teenage daughter; Live Inspire Vibe Energy).

"I guess I never wanted to lose someone else again that way," says Joseph. "I felt so helpless. But not anymore, Steph wouldn't want me to. So I took all the pain and put it to use, the energy is amazing, and somehow I believe that her tragedy will not be in vain, somewhere along the way of this crazy journey it will become a saving grace."

The L.I.V.E. (pronunciation: 'liv) - Rock For Life Concert will feature performances by Jody Joseph & The Average Joes, and many of Joseph's youngest most talented music students from Monmouth and neighboring New Jersey Counties.

“The line up is a very colorful one, my youngest performer is 5 years old and my oldest is 43. Some of these students will be playing a guitar while singing, a couple of students are working song writing technique so they will be performing an original song that I co-wrote with them. My very supportive band will be accompanying most of my students, as well as performing with me for a handful of my original songs,” reports Joseph.

Joining the effort is blues/rock guitarist and fellow music instructor Matt O'Ree with the Matt O’Ree Band backing him and his music students.

“I was honored when Jody asked me to participate in the L.I.V.E. event,” says O’Ree. “(My students) are really excited to do this show for a number of reasons. Some of them knew or went to school with one of the victims so they feel even more compelled to be a part of the event. I hope that through the music and the awareness we can help save a life down the line.”

Local singer/songwriter Dawne Allynne will be opening the show.

Invitations to perform have also been extended to some of Monmouth County’s most famous musicians.

The Yellow Ribbon Suicide Prevention Program® is not funded by federal dollars or large corporations. Donations come from supporters in communities and go directly to program efforts. Proceeds from ticket sales, merchandise and an open auction featuring a Jon Bon Jovi autographed guitar will be donated to the New Jersey chapter of Yellow Ribbon International®. Other auction items include music memorabilia from Bruce Springsteen, Kenny Olson (Kid Rock Band), and David Bryan (Bon Jovi), sports memorabilia, studio time complete with recording engineers donated by Central Jersey Music in Colts Neck, gift certificates to some of the areas most popular restaurants and bars including dinner for four at Salt Creek Grille in Rumson and a gift certificate to Elements Lounge in Sea Bright, complimentary membership at well known clubs including WOW, massage packages at Massages By Vern, artwork by Mark Benjamin Retacco of ARTSTAR* Co. and much much more!

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
L.I.V.E. - Rock For Life Concert: http://www.iemarketing.com/LIVE
Yellow Ribbon International®: http://www.yellowribbon.org
Jody Joseph And The Average Joes: http://www.jodyjoseph.net
Matt O’Ree: http://www.mattoree.com
Dawne Allynne: http://www.dawneallynne.com

###

Tickets for this event are sold out. This is not an attempt to sell tickets. I've also removed donation information from this post as it is not an attempt to solicit. Information on making a donation can be researched easily.

I'm posting because of the Jon Bon Jovi tie-in, and to help increase awareness about this topic. Numbers and statistics regarding suicide in Monmouth County are representative of the entire state of New Jersey. New Jersey state statistics are actually LOWER than the national average. This topic therefore is of interest to everyone. Because of the taboo nature of suicide, teen suicide to be exact, society does not pay it the attention it deserves. Prevention Programs have even met with much resistance from schools and school administrators when trying to incorporate prevention education into health curriculums. The Yellow Ribbon International Suicide Prevention Program exists to educate and tries to get in the back door or the resisting public by reaching kids and their peers directly. There are a lot of Moms on this board, Dads, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, etc... Unfortunately, the statistics I'm about to mention will touch you personally one day.

Teenage suicide is a rapidly growing epidemic in New Jersey and beyond. 8 Monmouth County teens completed suicide in the past 16 months compared to 1 in the 4 YEARS preceeding that. Unfortunately as of this week, after the commencement of this publicity campaign, that number has been increased to 9. 7 of these 9 took their lives in the same manner. In December, two South Brunswick High School students attempted suicide together, 1 succeeding, via a planned high speed car crash. This came only one year after another student from the same school took his life in a comparably flamboyant manner. These stories and statistics are representative of a statewide health crisis. 80% of teenagers contemplate suicide at least once during their high school career, in fact, it is the third leading cause of death for youths 15 through 24. What are the odds that you know somebody in danger or somebody, if not yourself, who has been directly effected by these tragedies? What are the odds that one day you will?

There are people in our community looking to stop this horrendous trend. That is why I'm writing. Please read the press release announcing the L.I.V.E. - Rock For Life Concert, the first annual charity event to benefit the New Jersey Chapter of the Yellow Ribbon International Suicide Prevention Program, taking place at the Stone Pony on January 29, 2005. Although this is a Monmouth County based event, the issue of teenage suicide concerns everybody. Please spread the word... I'm hoping you can help with our awareness efforts.