Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Why are Bon Jovi not a credible band?!

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Default Why are Bon Jovi not a credible band?!

Hi guys?

I just wanted to share a rant with you all, so please bare with me...

I'm so sick of having to justify to people why I love BJ so much, I mean, if somebody says they love U2, that's fine, no questions asked...but with BJ, people laugh as if you have no taste.

The thing I love about them live is the amazing atmosphere, 2.5hrs of pure fun, where nothing else in the outside world matters. And I know it's songs like LOAP and IML that achieves that atmosphere, but why can't the band play/release songs that show them to be the gifted songwriters they are?

If they sang Something to Believe In/Dry County, etc, people couldn't fail to see how lyrically and musically superior they are to, for example, U2 (though I like them too...just not as much )

As 40-somethings you'd think they'd want to be taken a wee bit more seriously, rather than being known soley for stadium anthems? Or do you think they don't care about being taken seriously, and just wanna spread the fun of rock n roll?

Anyhoo, if anybody shares my views, I'd love to hear them!

Sheonagh

Old 06-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Just posting

Ignore it.

People USED to ask me that before It's My Life came out. To that point, they were "just an 80's band" in many people's eyes. After that "comeback", people really couldn't say they weren't relevant anymore.

I'm a guy, so it's harder for me. I get shit from my 'friends" all the time about liking them, about how they're pussy rock or Jon's gay, crap like that.

Personally, I think they're just pissed because Bon Jovi is still around and much bigger than any of the music they listen to.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Dry County

Send a message via MSN to LeaJovi
Cool

Or maybe we just have bad taste.

Like someone said in other thread "I wish that jon was fat and bold" or something like that.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Maybe part of it is we know the album tracks and most people just know the singles.

Aside from that, I find that you're a lot less likely to be brushed off for being a Bon Jovi fan now as you were 10 or 15 years ago. They keep coming back and having hit songs and having successful tours. It would be difficult for anyone to win an argument about their relevance if you're armed with some knowlege of their history. And in the end, it's music--it's entertainment. So if you're entertained, they're doing their job.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Price of posting

I find that even though Bon Jovi are enjoying huge successes again with Who Says being #1 and the sold out world tour most people I know who aren't fans still think of them as a band that sucks. I have never felt embarrassed to love the band, I do not keep it a secret that I am a huge fan, I defend them when people say they suck, but I don't let it bother me if someone makes fun of me for loving the band so much.

It is really difficult to explain to someone who doesn't "get them" why you love the band so much. My dad is constantly like "Why are you going to see them again/ you don't need to see them again/ you just saw them, it's the same show etc." But at the same time my parents do know how important the band is to me and how their music has had such an impact on my life. It's not some phase I am going through. If it was I would have outgrown it a looong time ago. There is a connection with the band. My mom was a huge Beatles fan in the 60's so I always tell her that Bon Jovi is to me what the Beatles were to her.

I sometimes feel sorry for people who don't have a connection with a band like the way I do with Bon Jovi. It's like they cannot even imagine what they are missing out on. Oh well.. it's their loss.
Albany, NY 12/12/05. JBJ to me from the stage: "You been a good girl this year?" (Reads my sign) "Jon, It's almost Xmas I've been a very good girl! Play Blood on Blood please!" (cue me on the big screen) JBJ: "How good have you been? Oh My God!" (laughs, more teasing) JBJ: "You want it huh, you want it huh? Blood on Blood just for you, the good girl in the front row? The all request hour, the girl in the front row has just asked for Blood on Blood, ok, Merry Christmas young lady!" Amazing <3
Old 06-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboraQueen21
It is really difficult to explain to someone who doesn't "get them" why you love the band so much. My dad is constantly like "Why are you going to see them again/ you don't need to see them again/ you just saw them, it's the same show etc." But at the same time my parents do know how important the band is to me and how their music has had such an impact on my life. It's not some phase I am going through. If it was I would have outgrown it a looong time ago. There is a connection with the band.

I can relate to that! My coworkers ask me why I'll go see the "same show" three nights in a row and they don't seem to get it when I say, "It's NOT the SAME show." My family was sure I'd outgrow Bon Jovi too, but it hasn't happened yet. It doesn't look like it's going to.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Tokyo Road

The U2 parralel always really confuses me, they're not overly different ... both play anthemic stadium rock, both had huge commercial success in the 80's, experimented with different directions in the 90's, and had a bit of a commercial comeback in the 00's; and yet U2 is rated higher than BJ by just about everyone

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Undiscovered Posts

you are all soooo right. I have a load of friends who think that they just do sentimental crap for the masses nowadays. say they've forgotton their roots and stuff. these are mainly people who are into stuff like AC/DC and appreciate the heavier numbers. Although I never really feel the need to justify BJ (why bother, if they've written them off...) I sometimes play Undivided or Bounce just to show them that they still do do heavier numbers and it's not all Welcome to wherever you are, Always or bed of Roses -- although I then have to point out that even back in the 80s they had ballads... But I agree, it is annoying...
Old 06-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

It is annoying but that's about all. There is something to be said for "those who have the last laugh" LOL. I've been a Bruce fan since the 70's and I get the same kind of comments about him too. "Haven't you outgrown that phase yet?" etc. Ignore them all and enjoy being entertained as Becky said.

I might point out that other Jersey boys have had similar reputations - maybe it's something in the water LOL. In the 60's the Four Seasons were huge here (I don't really know about the rest of the country). Everybody made fun of the "pretty boys" who sang funny. Earlier this week - "Jersey Boys" (the musical about the Four Seasons) won a pile of Tony Awards including Best Musical. In the end - it really is all about enjoying the show.

Kathleen

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Dry County

Send a message via MSN to tweety_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboraQueen21
It is really difficult to explain to someone who doesn't "get them" why you love the band so much. My dad is constantly like "Why are you going to see them again/ you don't need to see them again/ you just saw them, it's the same show etc." But at the same time my parents do know how important the band is to me and how their music has had such an impact on my life. It's not some phase I am going through. If it was I would have outgrown it a looong time ago. There is a connection with the band. My mom was a huge Beatles fan in the 60's so I always tell her that Bon Jovi is to me what the Beatles were to her.

I sometimes feel sorry for people who don't have a connection with a band like the way I do with Bon Jovi. It's like they cannot even imagine what they are missing out on. Oh well.. it's their loss.
I couldn't agree more!!
You just can't explain to someone else..but that's the goos part of being a Bon Jovi fan. It's the best kept secret, isn't it??
I've never felt embarassed, most of th time I feel really proud and I don't care if someone thinks I only like Jon's ass. Some people just don't WANT to understand. Let's leave them to their ignorance.