Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Closest we get to Sex Sells

General BJ Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 02:36 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Gotcha. I think going from MP3 to the Flac files.....it'll sound a bit better but it'd take a wizard with a time machine to make it anything decipherable. If it helps any:

Older: Re-recorded with the band

Save the World: Re-recorded with the band

Rich man: A completely different take was used for the box set

Real Life: Re-recorded with the band

I Got the Girl: Re-recorded with the band

Shadow Dancing: Never turned up anywhere

Good Aint Good Enough:

Gimme Some: Exact same version released under the Bon Jovi name

You can't Lose at Love: Exact same version released under the Bon Jovi name

Crazy Love gets mentioned as supposed to be played but was pulled. I love this era. To me it really helps bridge the gap between Destination Anywhere and gap and almost makes it make sense. Would love it if Life's Too Short For Days Like These pops up one day.
So it's safe to say that 90% of it is different!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Old 03-14-2019, 03:01 AM
The Distance

Great topic! Yeah, I can't discuss it forever. I remember living through it... I do remember hearing on the radio about back to back solo albums getting released and being very excited about it.

DA was so different and unexpected because most fans thought we were getting a second Young Guns album... I do remember hearing a DJ even describing one of the songs on DA to be Wanted Dead Or Alive on steroids. To this day, I don't know what that song was. However there is a track called Someday You'll Ride Wild Horses and I believe that's it because he did mention Horses...

Anyway, if you listen to the Crowd Demos with headphones, you hear so much more and yes, that are all very different and in my opinion, so much better... especially vocally... Save The Word is fantastic. And the vocals on Real Life are so sick. Totally different song...

I asked Obie for it and although he seemed interested in the idea, he really doesn't have answers... He just smiles, shakes his head, and appeases fans...

I think there are a lot of factors holding back these type of releases...

1. It doesn't seem like Jon's new contract is demanding a new release each year like the past one.

2. These albums just don't sell.

3. Jon's on this anti nostalgic, I hate the past kick so he won't promote it.

4. I think Jon wants to put out a few albums to prove he's a serious act without Richie... He doesn't need to rely on anything in the past to prove Bon Jovi is still a contender. Kinda like an ego trip.

5. Even though Sex Sells was a Jon solo album, I think part of the fun from the last Box Set was them going through the material together as a band... To continue off of number 4, if Jon was going to release a new box with songs that Richie played guitar on, it would be kinda weird considering he's not in the band.

Didn't someone say the solo was redone on Saturday Night Gave Me Sunday Morning? They took Richie's off and Shanks did his own...

I think one day we'll get a second box but it's not in the near future.

Last edited by Rdkopper; 03-14-2019 at 03:17 AM..
Old 03-14-2019, 04:08 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
So it's safe to say that 90% of it is different!

Hush, Gimme Some, Stay, You Can't Lose at Love all released as is. That's a good chunk of the album. I'd still like to see it come out in full.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:01 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Hush, Gimme Some, Stay, You Can't Lose at Love all released as is. That's a good chunk of the album. I'd still like to see it come out in full.
There was never a final track listing revealed.

20 plus songs and titles came from that "Sex Sells" session so it's impossible to say which 12 were actually on the final album (including those from the listening party).

Last edited by Rdkopper; 03-15-2019 at 02:33 AM..
Old 03-14-2019, 10:02 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Great topic! Yeah, I can't discuss it forever. I remember living through it... I do remember hearing on the radio about back to back solo albums getting released and being very excited about it.

DA was so different and unexpected because most fans thought we were getting a second Young Guns album... I do remember hearing a DJ even describing one of the songs on DA to be Wanted Dead Or Alive on steroids. To this day, I don't know what that song was. However there is a track called Someday You'll Ride Wild Horses and I believe that's it because he did mention Horses...

Anyway, if you listen to the Crowd Demos with headphones, you hear so much more and yes, that are all very different and in my opinion, so much better... especially vocally... Save The Word is fantastic. And the vocals on Real Life are so sick. Totally different song...

I asked Obie for it and although he seemed interested in the idea, he really doesn't have answers... He just smiles, shakes his head, and appeases fans...

I think there are a lot of factors holding back these type of releases...

1. It doesn't seem like Jon's new contract is demanding a new release each year like the past one.

2. These albums just don't sell.

3. Jon's on this anti nostalgic, I hate the past kick so he won't promote it.

4. I think Jon wants to put out a few albums to prove he's a serious act without Richie... He doesn't need to rely on anything in the past to prove Bon Jovi is still a contender. Kinda like an ego trip.

5. Even though Sex Sells was a Jon solo album, I think part of the fun from the last Box Set was them going through the material together as a band... To continue off of number 4, if Jon was going to release a new box with songs that Richie played guitar on, it would be kinda weird considering he's not in the band.

Didn't someone say the solo was redone on Saturday Night Gave Me Sunday Morning? They took Richie's off and Shanks did his own...

I think one day we'll get a second box but it's not in the near future.

They released the New Jersey Box in 2014 when Richie wasnt already in the band.
MADRID-22/5/2003 / MILTON KEYNES-10 & 11/6/2006 / LONDON-24/6/2007 / STUTTGART-29/5/2008 / BARCELONA-1/6/2008 / LONDON-27 & 28/6/2008 / NEW JERSEY-26 & 27/5/2010 / MADRID-4/6/2010 / PARIS-16/6/2010 / MADRID-6/11/2010 / DRESDEN-10/6/2011 / MUNICH-12/6/2011 / ZEEBRUGGE-24/7/2011 / BARCELONA-27/7/2011 / SAN SEBASTIAN-29/7/2011 / LISBON-31/7/2011 / RICHIE SAMBORA-LONDON-16/10/12 / BERLIN-18/6/13 / KOLN-22/6/13 / MADRID-27/6/13 / MILANO-29/6/13 / LIVERPOOL-19/6/19 / LONDON-21/6/19 / MADRID-7/7/19
Old 03-14-2019, 10:05 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavi View Post
They released the New Jersey Box in 2014 when Richie wasnt already in the band.
And look what happen with that. Jon ignored it, never promoted it, and hardly even spoke about it. Like it never even happened. Point in case!

Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Price of posting

I think the days of Boxsets are over for bands like Bon Jovi as they just dont sell - even Bon Jovi new albums dont sell.

Only way it could be done is if they done it independently via the website - Which Im surprised they haven't as Jon loves a dollar or two.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 03-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
I think the days of Boxsets are over for bands like Bon Jovi as they just dont sell - even Bon Jovi new albums dont sell.
Box sets actually sell really well if promoted correctly. Fans the age of the average Bon Jovi fan are all about nostalgia. The New Jersey one would have done much better if people had known about it. The Def Leppard one recently too Hysteria back in to the top 5 album charts! Just look at the amount of bands releasing massive 6 x CD Deluxe Editions and Anniversary editions. There's a huge market for this, especially if done as expanded editions rather than just a Box Set of unreleased stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
Only way it could be done is if they done it independently via the website - Which Im surprised they haven't as Jon loves a dollar or two.
I'm pretty sure that anything recorded from 84-2015 would be owned by the label, so Jon can't just release it independently.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Price of posting

Jon hates to be called a nostalgia act but as you say - most fans crave the glory years so would love a boxset.
Perfect time would be the UK tour - flood the set with stuff off the the first 6 albums and release a boxset of outtakes from around that time.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 03-14-2019, 11:38 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
And look what happen with that. Jon ignored it, never promoted it, and hardly even spoke about it. Like it never even happened. Point in case!

Yeah,i think it is very obvious it was released because of the deal with the company not because Jons will.
MADRID-22/5/2003 / MILTON KEYNES-10 & 11/6/2006 / LONDON-24/6/2007 / STUTTGART-29/5/2008 / BARCELONA-1/6/2008 / LONDON-27 & 28/6/2008 / NEW JERSEY-26 & 27/5/2010 / MADRID-4/6/2010 / PARIS-16/6/2010 / MADRID-6/11/2010 / DRESDEN-10/6/2011 / MUNICH-12/6/2011 / ZEEBRUGGE-24/7/2011 / BARCELONA-27/7/2011 / SAN SEBASTIAN-29/7/2011 / LISBON-31/7/2011 / RICHIE SAMBORA-LONDON-16/10/12 / BERLIN-18/6/13 / KOLN-22/6/13 / MADRID-27/6/13 / MILANO-29/6/13 / LIVERPOOL-19/6/19 / LONDON-21/6/19 / MADRID-7/7/19

Tags
sex sells