Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Spam problem

Announcements, Questions & Comments

Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Price of posting

Every time I come to this site I have an urge to by a pair of Nike Trainers.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo

Old 03-08-2014, 01:01 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I just deleted nearly 2000 threads from the Introduce Yourself and Film forums. It's completely out of hand.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:20 PM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I just deleted nearly 2000 threads from the Introduce Yourself and Film forums. It's completely out of hand.
Once the spam bots get in, it's really hard to get rid of them. You should delete all the spam users, block their IP's and if they're using any blockable e-mail-domains, block them as well.

But the best way would be to update the message board and install new anti-spam -registration measures. Like I said, this version of the message board is years old and this will only get worse. It's also possible that someone will hack the site, since old versions usually have many security holes as well.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:29 PM
It's my post

It's now infiltrated every forum except fun and games, with the same content. Something needs to be done.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:44 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinFan View Post
It's now infiltrated every forum except fun and games, with the same content. Something needs to be done.
I agree, it's out of control, we can only do so much before they hit us again. Peter's not responding to our emails about it.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

We're doing as we can when we see them. I'm literally on and off the forum all day while I'm at work and moving hundreds of threads.

Sadly at the moment you'll just have to bare with us while we manually move and delete the spam.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 03-15-2014, 10:44 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I agree, it's out of control, we can only do so much before they hit us again. Peter's not responding to our emails about it.
Peter hasn't bothered to turn off the snow for 3 months either

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I wish I could make an announcement and say: WE DON'T WANT NO ****ING SHOES! but spambots would ignore it. LOL
Old 03-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Posting Always

Something that could be done would be to move Jovitalk altogther and start up a new re-vamped website. This Peter dude clearly doesn't give a monkeys anyway, and the amount of spam is ruining it. Someone should create a new sparkly re-vamped Jovitalk site and move everyone over there.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 PM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolai View Post
Something that could be done would be to move Jovitalk altogther and start up a new re-vamped website. This Peter dude clearly doesn't give a monkeys anyway, and the amount of spam is ruining it. Someone should create a new sparkly re-vamped Jovitalk site and move everyone over there.
You'd need all the old conversations and stuff and Peter won't let others have them. He wants money for it and a lot of it. This has been discussed over and over many times.

Starting a message board is easy, and it's not even that expensive. But getting people to come there or even switch over from a previous board is hard. And especially a board like this where there are tons of stuff in the archives, so to speak.

It would only take some hours to put up a new board or a copy of this one if we had the files and database dumps. But it's not going to happen. More likely scenario is that Peter will pull the plug on this altogether.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.