Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Its happening to U2 now too

Other Bands

Old 01-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Jovi Freak

Default Its happening to U2 now too

iv been on a number of U2 fansites, and they are getting the f*&k ridiculed out of them by long term fans from all over the show. and i thought how Jovi got treated here was bad, but the same arguments we find with BJ pop up with so many other bands too, U2 in this example ; set lists, ticket prices, ''selling out'', tours etc etc

heres a link to one of the more well presented arguments on a respected u2 fansite, without all the swearing and name calling on some other bords

http://forum.atu2.com/forum.src?Acti...=19&SubjStart=

I've wondered this myself. What does U2 feel they must prove at this point in their career? They're kind of like middle-aged men (well, they are middle-aged men, but stick with me here) who date women half their age in the hopes that the youth will rub off somehow.

Seriously, the longer it goes on, the more U2's obsession with being the self-declared biggest band in the world seems utterly juvenile. It made sense in the Joshua Tree era, when they were all in their mid-to-late twenties. Now, it just seems like arrested development. If you look at EVERY pop artist of genuine artisitc longevity -- Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, Lou Reed, Prince, etc., etc. -- there came a point when they all decided that holding on to the level of popularlity they had at their commerical peak just wasn't as important as following their muse.

From their recent decisions -- appearing at the Super Bowl, becoming pitchmen for a computer company, letting TicketMaster run their fan club presale -- it's clear that U2 are as ruthlessly business-minded as any band you could name. These guys are financially set for life. It's like Jake Gittes asked Noah Cross in "Chinatown" -- "What could you possibily buy that you don't already have?" Meanwhile, their new music just gets more and more middling adult-contemporary mush. Hey, I like much of the "Bomb," but the fact is that it's the first U2 album since "October" that has taken the band absolutely nowhere they haven't been before. Lyrically, it's Bono's weakest effort since "Ocotber," too. Uh, what was that you were singing about the scent of freedom, Bono? Are you selling fabric softener along with iPods now?

Remember that quote from Larry about how "Beautiful Day" was U2 competing with Britney Spears? Did it occur to the interviewer to ask hitman why the **** he, as a member of one of the most critically adored, long-lived, and globally popular bands of all time, feels any need to compete with Britney Spears whatsoever? Are U2 really worried that Britney is going to write a more memorable song than they are? Do they really think that Britney Spears fans are going to hear "Beautiful Day" on the radio and suddenly develop taste?

I know that the poster on this thread who said that if U2 were to ignore commercial radio (which richly deserves to be ignored by everyone with ears) they would "basically become the Rolling Stones" meant that as a crack, but frankly, I think the Stones are handling themselves with a lot more class these days than U2 are. At least they're not pretending to be altruistic while finding ways to extort every last penny from their fan base. (I could go on about how their concerts are longer and feature more varied setlists than U2's do, even though the Stones are 15 years older than U2, but I'll leave that aside.) They're not worried about getting airplay. And they still fill stadiums everywhere when they tour.

So I ask again - why are U2 so worried about remaining popular? It's not like they're actually using their commecial muscle to do anything interesting or challenging anymore, the way they did with ZOO TV and PopMart. Remember when Bono collected his grammy for Zooropa, and pledged to use the band's position "to continue to **** up the mainstream?" I'd call playing the Super Bowl, endorsing products, and charging $165 for the crummy seats on your tour about as mainsteam as it gets. Thanks, but I'll save my Vertigo tour money and go see six other shows instead. For those of you paying $165 per ticket to hear U2 play for 90 minutes from section 300 of the OmegaDome -- half the new record plus another dozen old warhorses from the two best-of collections, you can predict the setlist like clockwork -- I sincerely hope you all feel you get your money's worth.

hmmmm

and thats one of the more pleasant posts niv read over the last few days..

andi
That you are all you really need
JBJ - I believe

"Sambora's face is a mask of joyous disbelief, as if previously unaware of his ability to play the instrument at all. Reaching the last fistful of notes, he does a fair impression of a man who is actually ejaculating into his jet black flares."
. . . Ben Mitchell, Q Magazine

Old 01-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

you have a point/

I wouldn't be so bothered about them being so involved in the corporate machine if they didn't feel the need to try and loo like they're not.

And Bono's an arse anyway you look at it.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
And Bono's an arse anyway you look at it.
yes he is a bit of an arse isnt he well so was Axl Rose and im stil a massive GNR fan. all about the music etc

But i can see the U2 fans' point, its hard to have it 'all about the music' when to see your fav band in convert your payin up to $140 and more, and thats if you havnt managed to have been screwed by the fanclub/ticketmaster presales first, which thousands of fans have.

andi
JBJ - I believe

"Sambora's face is a mask of joyous disbelief, as if previously unaware of his ability to play the instrument at all. Reaching the last fistful of notes, he does a fair impression of a man who is actually ejaculating into his jet black flares."
Old 01-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Pies Descalzos, Suenos Blancos
Something for the Posts

Send a message via AIM to ~saz~ Send a message via MSN to ~saz~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~saz~

I'm not THAT big a U2 fan (Hey, I like some of their songs but then again I liked some of Avril Lavigne's songs too), but I do think that they need to stop boasting about how big they are. HELLO we're not blind idiots and can see that you're big, OK? No need to shove it down our throats everytime you have an album to promote.
And Bono's so far up his own ar$e that he can't see the light

Old 01-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Jovi Addict

Well, I’m going to see them, I’m looking forward to it, I really like a lot of their stuff but Lord Boner’s self-love really does f**k me off royally. I watched the superbowl performance like it was a car crash, open mouthed, as he sprinted round a big screen of the names of the people that had died, gyrating and givin’ it vocal laldie… why didn’t you just launch a barrage of fireworks out your rectum while you were at it, Boner?

Does this man never stop for one minute and consider that there may be something out there a little more important than his image?

As for the ticket prices… don’t get me started
Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Jovi Freak

Letter from Larry from the band sent out to all u2.com members..esp like the last bit - would apply to a few ppl here on this site

thot Bono was the only cocky sonofabitch in the band tho

from u2.com

Quote:
Dear ******

This is not something that I would normally do, but I feel that I have to do something to redress this situation.

There was a mess up in the way the tickets were distributed through U2.com for the Vertigo pre-sale. Some of it was beyond our control, but
some of it wasn't.

I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue.

After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined. Many people who joined U2.com and didn't get tickets are understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of their subscription fee.

The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2 tickets through our own website is appalling to me. I want to apologise to you who have suffered that.

If your U2.com pre-sale experience has left you disappointed, I hope this will go some way towards reassuring you of our total commitment to our audience.

Slainte
Larry.

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I've only got two words for you... ..
JBJ - I believe

Old 02-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

how very business like.

****ing up then being derogatory to people who complain. I'm not that bothered about u2 to be honest but if that was bon jovi, the same scenario had unfolded and tico came out with that it'd be the last record i bought from them.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:37 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I've only got two words for you... ..
Oohhh I'm scared.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 02-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
What an arse, perhaps he should accept that there are people out there who might not necessarily like they way the management chose to sell the tickets. They might not, like me, even appreciate Boner’s general attitude but still enjoy the music, and put money in their pockets via tickets and albums on the strength of that alone. If he’s admitting they are in the wrong he should make the apology and shut his cocky little trap up.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Pies Descalzos, Suenos Blancos
Something for the Posts

Send a message via AIM to ~saz~ Send a message via MSN to ~saz~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~saz~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic
Aloha !

Quote:
Oohhh I'm scared.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Yeah, I can hear you shaking in your boots over in Aberdeen