Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Quiet Riot singer Kevin Dubrow Dead at 52

Other Bands

Old 11-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Blaze of Posting

Default Quiet Riot singer Kevin Dubrow Dead at 52

(CNN) -- Kevin DuBrow, the lead singer of the 1980s heavy metal band Quiet Riot, has died, CNN has confirmed. He was 52.
Kevin DuBrow and Quiet Riot hit No. 1 with Metal Health in 1983. DuBrow died at his home in Las Vegas, Nevada, according to TMZ.com. The Clark County coroner's office was examining the body to determine the cause of death, according to TMZ.
"I'm at a loss for words. I've just lost my best friend," Quiet Riot drummer Frankie Banali told CNN. "Out of respect for both Kevin and his family, I won't comment further. There's going to be a lot of speculation out there, and I won't add to that. I love him too much."
Quiet Riot hit the top of the charts with its 1983 album, "Metal Health," considered by some sources as the first heavy metal album to hit No. 1. The album was driven by the group's cover of Slade's "Cum on Feel the Noize," which hit the Top 40.
The band's other hits included "Bang Your Head (Metal Health)" and another Slade cover, "Mama Weer All Crazee Now."
The band formed in the mid-1970s behind DuBrow and guitarist Randy Rhoads, who later joined Ozzy Osbourne's band and died in a tour accident. After several years, during which time the band disbanded, regrouped and built an audience, everything came together for "Metal Health," which put Quiet Riot in the vanguard of the Los Angeles heavy metal movement.
But the band's rushed follow-up, Condition Critical, didn't do as well, and DuBrow started taking shots at other L.A. bands, such as Motley Crue and Ratt, according to Allmusic.com. Within a few years, the band had mutinied (leaving DuBrow at a hotel in Hawaii while other members returned to California, Allmusic's Eduardo Rivadavia observes) and taken on a new lead singer. The bad blood prompted a lawsuit from DuBrow.
By the 1990s tempers had calmed and the band got together again, putting out a live album in 1999 and a new studio set, Guilty Pleasures, in 2001.
NewsLink: http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Musi...6/obit.dubrow/

MTV - http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/157...iet_riot.jhtml
TMZ - http://www.tmz.com/2007/11/26/quiet-...his-vegas-home
Pollstar - pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=8793
Jeb Wright (Classic Rock Revisited) - http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/...rowtribute.htm

Two recent Kevin DuBrow interviews - KNAC (perhaps his last ever interview)(November 25) - www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=3610.
RockEyez (May 07) - http://www.rockeyez.com/interviews/i...ndubrow07.html.

how sad and unexpected.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Blaze of Posting

oh no! this is really sad. I'm really curious why he died. Ahh, now he's rocking out with Randy somewhere. RIP Kevin!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Jovi FANatic

RIP and ROck On!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Blaze of Posting

I met him the last time Quiet Riot played in Puerto Rico on the rock never stops tour, he was wearing a a leotard spandex suit and his hair well, it was kind of like a hair piece lol. He seemed very geniune when he said he loved playing here, and I was there with some of my friends and we were in a band together, so we told him that and when one of my friends asked him for a photo he put his arm around us and said "the future of rock n roll right here".

It was only for a little more than a minute but I'll remember those seconds greatly.

RIP KEVIN!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
I met him the last time Quiet Riot played in Puerto Rico on the rock never stops tour, he was wearing a a leotard spandex suit and his hair well, it was kind of like a hair piece lol. He seemed very geniune when he said he loved playing here, and I was there with some of my friends and we were in a band together, so we told him that and when one of my friends asked him for a photo he put his arm around us and said "the future of rock n roll right here".

It was only for a little more than a minute but I'll remember those seconds greatly.

RIP KEVIN!!!
ahh, nice story. He always came over like a nice guy. Any news on what happened? Hope it wasn't drugs.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
ahh, nice story. He always came over like a nice guy. Any news on what happened? Hope it wasn't drugs.
Nothing official yet, but word was it he was kind of fond of coke.
If you go to melodicrock.com there's words about some of Kevin's industry friends and that sort of gives you a clue.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:40 AM
Price of posting

RIP Kevin!
Albany, NY 12/12/05. JBJ to me from the stage: "You been a good girl this year?" (Reads my sign) "Jon, It's almost Xmas I've been a very good girl! Play Blood on Blood please!" (cue me on the big screen) JBJ: "How good have you been? Oh My God!" (laughs, more teasing) JBJ: "You want it huh, you want it huh? Blood on Blood just for you, the good girl in the front row? The all request hour, the girl in the front row has just asked for Blood on Blood, ok, Merry Christmas young lady!" Amazing <3
Old 11-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Jovi Freak

May he R.I.P.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
Any news on what happened? Hope it wasn't drugs.
It was. Confirmed yesterday he died of a cocaine overdose. Sad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071211/...V4EXLIgJWs0NUE
Old 12-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaSha View Post
It was. Confirmed yesterday he died of a cocaine overdose. Sad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071211/...V4EXLIgJWs0NUE
Sad indeed. RIP