5. Reapers
6. The Handler
7. [JFK]
8. Defector
9. Revolt
10. Aftermath
11. The Globalist
12. Drones

Is anybody else interested in this release? I've been growing more and more fond of Muse over the last year or so. Some of their stuff is pretty laughable, but when they're good, they are ****ing amazing. I think Starlight is in my top 3 favorite songs by any artist ever. Probably won't ever tire of that track.

Hopefully the album is more along the lines of Origin of Symmetry or Black Holes and Revelations. About half of The Resistance and half of The 2nd Law were good, but the other halves were pretty crappy. The band is on record of saying that 'Drones' should have more of a return-to-roots style with more guitars and less electronic sounds. So far two tracks (Psycho and Dead Inside) have been released, and Psycho reflects that sentiment, whereas Dead Inside is quite synth-heavy.

Anyway, Psycho is pretty decent. I've found a version that edits out the annoying-as-**** drill sergeant, which makes it much more bearable. Dead Inside is pretty great. Very nice, stripped down, funky track with an excellent bridge with passionate vocals from Matt Bellamy.

Psycho:
Dead Inside:
'Drones' will be released worldwide by June 10th.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to ticos_stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinFan View Post

1. Dead Inside
2. [Drill Sergeant]
3. Psycho
4. Mercy
5. Reapers
6. The Handler
7. [JFK]
8. Defector
9. Revolt
10. Aftermath
11. The Globalist
12. Drones

Is anybody else interested in this release? I've been growing more and more fond of Muse over the last year or so. Some of their stuff is pretty laughable, but when they're good, they are ****ing amazing. I think Starlight is in my top 3 favorite songs by any artist ever. Probably won't ever tire of that track.

Hopefully the album is more along the lines of Origin of Symmetry or Black Holes and Revelations. About half of The Resistance and half of The 2nd Law were good, but the other halves were pretty crappy. The band is on record of saying that 'Drones' should have more of a return-to-roots style with more guitars and less electronic sounds. So far two tracks (Psycho and Dead Inside) have been released, and Psycho reflects that sentiment, whereas Dead Inside is quite synth-heavy.

Anyway, Psycho is pretty decent. I've found a version that edits out the annoying-as-**** drill sergeant, which makes it much more bearable. Dead Inside is pretty great. Very nice, stripped down, funky track with an excellent bridge with passionate vocals from Matt Bellamy.

Psycho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLRqzTp6Rk

Dead Inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcJWhmdzpg

'Drones' will be released worldwide by June 10th.
I would still regard myself as a fan of Muse but since Black Holes & Revelations their albums have been very average. They contain 2-3 really good catchy songs and the rest is filler IMO.

What hooked me with Muse was the Absolution album and their earth shattering Glastonbury headline performance in 2004 which put them truly on the map as world beaters. Everyone was up in arms over the choice of Muse as headliners of such a huge festival but they went on determined and won everyone over. https://youtu.be/9boYhBkPX5k Since then though they have kind of abandoned the hard rock / industrial sounds of Absolution and gone down a more overy dramatic proggy route which I can only take in small doses. I assume they are sticking with this sound as it suits the big live shows.

The one thing that remains the same in the paranoid dystopia theme running through every album which is also running a little tiring.

I really hope this new album turns the corner.

Have you heard Reapers? I really like the chorus and the solos by Matt. This looks like the new show closer. https://youtu.be/GdmwYyIHuEc

Last edited by ticos_stick; 04-19-2015 at 08:43 PM..
Old 04-22-2015, 06:16 AM
It's my post

Just checked out that video of Reapers. Pretty good from what I can hear. I feel like the sound quality makes it seem a little sloppy, but that may be also due to the it being one of the first times they played this song. Something tells me this live recording doesn't do the song justice.

The 3 songs we've heard thus far don't strike me as fantastic, but they definitely make me quite eager to check out the entire album.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Been a big fan of Muse recently, a good friend of mine is a massive fan so I've seen them on the last few tours. Excellent live band, although the "show" seems to just be overtaking the music a tad, hopefully they rein that in a little.

Impressed with Psycho, despite some horribly corny lyrics. Dead Inside, the second half is better than the first.

Coming in late, I'm a weird one who prefers the later stuff as that's when I became a fan. I probably need to listen to the earlier stuff a bit more tbf.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 04-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

One of my most formidable gigging experiences was at T in the Park back in yon day when Muse rocked up around the Origin album at about 1 o clock on the main stage and absolutely massacred the place.

Up until that point I'd tagged them as a snidey Radiohead knock off (muscle museum being the only thing I'd really heard of there's) but after seeing them live I was sold.

I lost interest a bit after Blackholes but the new stuff I've heard sounds dynamite and it's the first album I've heard about in ages that I intend to pick up.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:23 PM
It's my post

The video for Dead Inside was released last week. I can't stop listening to this song. I wasn't too impressed originally but man has it grabbed me now. The bridge with the passionate vocals from Matt is awesome. I feel like this is what the band wanted Undisclosed Desires to be, except they nailed the execution this time.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:58 AM
It's my post

Another single released this week, Mercy. I really like it, to be honest. It's a really good pop-rock song. People accuse it for ripping off of Starlight, mainly due to the piano chords, but I think it definitely is its own beast. The band is 3.5/4 for me so far (undecided on Pyscho still), so this bodes well for the rest of the album.

Also, we have a proshot version of Reapers now. The mix is tremendously shitty, but the song definitely sounds pretty great. Extremely progressive, but captivating at the same time.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Just posting

BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend

http://bbc.in/1ArujoD

I'm not overly sold on the new material yet but this has the usual great sound and visuals from BBC productions.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:54 AM
It's my post

It's leaked now. First impressions, with #spoilers for anybody who may not want to hear the album yet:

The first 4 we already had, of course. Dead Inside is fantastic, with an epic bridge. Psycho is........ Psycho. Mercy is decent, but forgettable. Reapers is fantastic and produced fabulously in my opinion.

The Handler and Defector (and the unnecessary JFK tidbits in there) both sound the same to me. Really bombastic, average songs for me. I like the bridge/solo of The Handler, but everything else is bland.

Revolt sounds like it could be a big pop-rock crossover hit. Definitely captivating and interesting, and definitely a welcome change from the previous two tracks.

Aftermath is interesting. The first minute or so bears a heavy resemblance to U2's "One", but it's a nice ballad, nevertheless.

The Globalist, supposedly the child of Citizen Erased, sounds more like a combination of Citizen Erased and New Born, without reaching the incredible heights of either of those songs. It also has a lot of elements of the piano-driven bullshit of The Resistance and The 2nd Law. All in all, it's so... okay. I don't think I'd ever listen to it out of the context of the album. I can't help but feel like so many elements of the song, and really the song in general, could be described as "unnecessary".

Drones (the song) ****ing sucks. I was expecting a good rock track to seal up the album, especially with the title and the album starting that way. This is like a ****ing church choir. Horrible.

All in all, the album starts really good, but they definitely gave us the best 4 already. The only one that is begging for another listen is Revolt. MAYBE Aftermath. I'm incredibly disappointed with the rest of this album.

Last edited by TwinFan; 06-04-2015 at 01:10 AM..
Old 06-04-2015, 12:47 AM
Just posting

On first listen it stinks on ice.

I think it's clear to hear that Muse have lost their... erm... Muse. Using a riff that has been played in live shows for the past ten years in a new single is the biggest sign yet that the creative well has truly dried up.

This album sounds like the last two Muse albums mushed together and watered down. The Queen rip off harmonies are bordering on nauseting now too.

Oh well. There's always the live shows.

Tags
drones, muse