Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Interviewing Doc McGhee

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-28-2022, 01:35 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Jon's always had a tick with compilation type albums like Grestest Hits and Live Albums even though every band in history has them. That's why we got TLFR and Lost Highway.

I'm not sure if it's an artistry thing or he just sees it as a quick cash grab for the Record Company but he's always been a stickler for those type of releases.

Blaze is my favorite album so I'll take that any day over a live compilation from the NJ Tour.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk
It always amazes me that a band with a solid live track record (4,000 shows to 35 million people, or whatever it is) has such a poor output of live albums and DVDs.

Greatest Hits are another thing. There have been two, and the TLFR (good in concept, not in execution). That is ok as both Cross Road and Greatest Hits do cover the band's career for the most part. Some bands have no greatest hits. I don't think Metallica or Iron Maiden have one, for example.

Old 08-28-2022, 04:30 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

The current market on Greatest Hits are not good right now given entire catalouges are available by the song. Plus who's buying a new greatest hits album from a band with two greatest hits and no new hits since the last one?
Old 08-28-2022, 03:50 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
The current market on Greatest Hits are not good right now given entire catalouges are available by the song. Plus who's buying a new greatest hits album from a band with two greatest hits and no new hits since the last one?
In the hypothetical case that they released another greatest hits... what would they name it? the last ultimate hits? They haven't even released a hit song in the last decade. I hope there are no more Greatest Hits.

But if this documentary project is something that is being taken separately from the Box Set, then they could release a double album mixing the top hits with some different takes, and some live material that can be seen in the documentary series. Something like Twenty by Pearl Jam, you know, movie and soundtrack.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 08-29-2022 at 02:49 AM..
Old 08-28-2022, 06:19 PM
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
It always amazes me that a band with a solid live track record (4,000 shows to 35 million people, or whatever it is) has such a poor output of live albums and DVDs.
It's exactly what I've always thought. And just one sole blu-ray is it?! I mean, how do you even buy Inside Out?? (cd and dvd!!)

Last edited by Logan72; 08-28-2022 at 06:22 PM..
Old 08-28-2022, 06:31 PM
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
In the hypothetical case that they released another greatest hits... what would they name it? the real ultimate hits? They haven't even released a hit song in the last decade. I hope there are no more Greatest Hits.

But if this documentary project is something that is being taken separately from the Box Set, then they could release a double album mixing the top hits with some different takes, and some live material that can be seen in the documentary series. Something like Twenty by Pearl Jam, you know, movie and soundtrack.
I agree - there's no place for a greatest hits now I don't think. Crossroad and the Greatest Hits both did it well.

A documentary, boxset and what you suggest could all regenerate some excitement.
Old 08-31-2022, 09:26 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
I don't think Metallica or Iron Maiden have one, for example.
Iron Maiden does
Old 09-01-2022, 03:52 AM
Jovi Freak

Iron Maiden have several, and some of them of questionable quality.

AC/DC I think only have "soundtrack compilation" albums which basically serve as greatest hits records but still aren't 100% the same.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:19 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan72 View Post
It's exactly what I've always thought. And just one sole blu-ray is it?! I mean, how do you even buy Inside Out?? (cd and dvd!!)
One blu-ray only (MGS 200 but there are DVD for Wembley 95 and Zurich 2000. There may have been a DVD for the japanese show back in 2008 but I'm not quite sure about that.

But anyway you guys are right, that's weird there's such a poor output of live material for a band who've toured so much.
Old 09-04-2022, 01:26 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
One blu-ray only (MGS 200 but there are DVD for Wembley 95 and Zurich 2000. There may have been a DVD for the japanese show back in 2008 but I'm not quite sure about that.

But anyway you guys are right, that's weird there's such a poor output of live material for a band who've toured so much.
That Tokyo 2008 show was just a TV broadcast that several semi-official used to sell on DVD (like Atlantic City 2004). Not an official release.
Old 09-04-2022, 02:39 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
That Tokyo 2008 show was just a TV broadcast that several semi-official used to sell on DVD (like Atlantic City 2004). Not an official release.
I found the version that I have on the newsgroups in Feb. 2008. My version is gorgeous.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.