Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Nikki SIxx about Bon Jovi...

General BJ Discussion

Old 05-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Blaze of Posting

Default Nikki SIxx about Bon Jovi...

It's a recent comment on Bon Jovi(Metal Edge):

"I'd cringe to see Motley Crue have that kind of success (referring to Bon Jovi). We're the largest cult band. We sell consistently three or four million records every year, sold out 15 to 20,000 seaters every night (two nights in the same city a lot of times). We're not going to ever be a pop band."

Hehe...Jon and Nikki were friends in the 80s...

Old 05-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Location: NEW JERSEY- Where the weak are killed and eaten ;-)
Default Re: Nikki SIxx about Bon Jovi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon
It's a recent comment on Bon Jovi(Metal Edge):

"I'd cringe to see Motley Crue have that kind of success (referring to Bon Jovi). We're the largest cult band. We sell consistently three or four million records every year, sold out 15 to 20,000 seaters every night (two nights in the same city a lot of times). We're not going to ever be a pop band."

Hehe...Jon and Nikki were friends in the 80s...
And, Bon Jovi hasn't?
Seems to me they sold out a lot more then 15,000-20,000 seaters.
Wonder if Nikki Sixx thinks Motley Crue can sell out Hyde Park.
When was the last time Motley Crue played never mind sold out Giants Stadium?
Just seems like bitter grapes to me.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Blaze of Posting

Nikki just said that Motley Crue are succesfull without turning into a pop band.He exagerated.He barely cracked 5000 ppl arenas with ANTHRAX and MEGADETH as support .

But still, I think he is right!
Old 05-20-2004, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Nikki just said that Motley Crue are succesfull without turning into a pop band.He exagerated.He barely cracked 5000 ppl arenas with ANTHRAX and MEGADETH as support .

Exactly.
I don't agree with Bon Jovi being a pop band though. I guess if you want to compare them too the heavy metal and thrash metal of today, you could call them pop. I think they are still a rock band, just not hard rock, which I never thought they were anyway. This is all fine with me.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Blaze of Posting

But Nikki tought they were a Hard Rock band just as Motley was...that's what I think too...but people here already know that and please don't start another discussion about it!!!PLEASE!!!
Old 05-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Livin' on a Post

i use to love motley crue but they are not succesfull anymore....they were succesfull
Old 05-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Wish for Wings
Blaze of Posting

So...? I bet they just say that because it would be too pathetic if they said "oh, we'd love to have what they have but you see, they're luckier than us". I'm sure most bands would love to have what Bon Jovi have. But most of them won't confess to it because they wouldn't look "cool"

- Charlotte Brontė.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnanj
Quote:

Exactly.
I don't agree with Bon Jovi being a pop band though. I guess if you want to compare them too the heavy metal and thrash metal of today, you could call them pop. I think they are still a rock band, just not hard rock, which I never thought they were anyway. This is all fine with me.
They have some hard rock songs, some rock songs, some pop songs and a mix but I think there is definately more rock in BJ's music than pop. When I think of pop rock I think more of Rod Stewart, Chicago or some of Bryan Adams's stuff than BJ.
What's so bad about pop music being incorporated into rock anyway. The Beatles did it didn't they? Micheal Jackson is pure pop and you rarely hear people say his music sucks.

What BJ do well is make good music that has emotion in it as Dave said on the Crush DVD "emotes the right feeling." BJ rarely sounds like a bunch of guys trying to murder their instruments. Their music is more vibrant and diverse and they "rock" in a different way to a lot of other bands who think its all about playing the faster solos or having the most amount of beats in their song. BJ rocks cause they put feeling into their music (I'll be there for you for example).

As for the quote, it sounds like jealously but I don't listen to Motley Crue so what do I know.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnanj
Quote:

Exactly.
They have some hard rock songs, some rock songs, some pop songs and a mix but I think there is definately more rock in BJ's music than pop. When I think of pop rock I think more of Rod Stewart, Chicago or some of Bryan Adams's stuff than BJ.
What's so bad about pop music being incorporated into rock anyway. The Beatles did it didn't they? Micheal Jackson is pure pop and you rarely hear people say his music sucks.

What BJ do well is make good music that has emotion in it as Dave said on the Crush DVD "emotes the right feeling." BJ rarely sounds like a bunch of guys trying to murder their instruments. Their music is more vibrant and diverse and they "rock" in a different way to a lot of other bands who think its all about playing the faster solos or having the most amount of beats in their song. BJ rocks cause they put feeling into their music (I'll be there for you for example).

As for the quote, it sounds like jealously but I don't listen to Motley Crue so what do I know.
Very well said. I agree with everything you said. And yes they do have a few hard rock songs.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:57 PM

Quote:
But Nikki tought they were a Hard Rock band just as Motley was...that's what I think too...but people here already know that and please don't start another discussion about it!!!PLEASE!!!
Don't start another discussion about what? Sorry, not getting what you mean.