Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Jon and his thoughts about a drum computer in 1992...

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-10-2003, 09:36 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic
Default Jon and his thoughts about a drum computer in 1992...

Aloha !

I've just read an unofficial biography about Bon Jovi with some quotes from Jon. There's something written about the mixes that were made during the Keep The Faith era.

The band went so far as have to have Mike Edwards of techno-pop act Jesus Jones work on dance mixes though, after a lot of agonizing, the band decided against releasing them, feeling that they were ultimately unrepresentative.

"There are no boundaries,"insisted Jon. "But I won't go off at a complete tangent just to satisfy someone else or to make this band out to be something it's not. Let's face it, I already have a great drummer, so what do I want with a drum machine ? You can't kid yourself: Bon Jovi are a rock band and with the acid-house mix I felt we were drifting into an area that was completely foreignt to us, and probably to most of our audience. The secret is to strike the right ballance."

I doubt if Jon still thinks the same...

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Old 08-10-2003, 10:18 PM
Jovi Geek

Default Re: Jon and his thoughts about a drum computer in 1992...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic
Aloha !

I've just read an unofficial biography about Bon Jovi with some quotes from Jon. There's something written about the mixes that were made during the Keep The Faith era.

The band went so far as have to have Mike Edwards of techno-pop act Jesus Jones work on dance mixes though, after a lot of agonizing, the band decided against releasing them, feeling that they were ultimately unrepresentative.

"There are no boundaries,"insisted Jon. "But I won't go off at a complete tangent just to satisfy someone else or to make this band out to be something it's not. Let's face it, I already have a great drummer, so what do I want with a drum machine ? You can't kid yourself: Bon Jovi are a rock band and with the acid-house mix I felt we were drifting into an area that was completely foreignt to us, and probably to most of our audience. The secret is to strike the right ballance."

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Maybe he found a new balance

New Jersey is not just a state
- Its a religion!!
Old 08-10-2003, 10:27 PM
It's my post

Send a message via MSN to Shaun
Default Re: Jon and his thoughts about a drum computer in 1992...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic
Aloha !

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Maybe he found a new balance
looks like it
Old 08-10-2003, 10:44 PM
It's my post

rock on jon!
Old 08-11-2003, 02:38 AM
I Wanna Rock
Jovi Freak

Send a message via MSN to {_Warrior_}

Nowadays.....well.........all about lovin.............
Old 08-11-2003, 02:43 AM
Blaze of Posting

Isn' there a KTF cover album done by Jesus Jones?I read Jon did really like it and he thinks Jesus Jones is a very talented guy.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:46 AM
Blaze of Posting

I found it!

"FACE MAGAZINE,November 1992:

You played the London Astoria last night. That's a small venue for you.
I told the kids, "You're so close you could smell me." I was just as happy there as I've been in any arena or stadium. Probably happier, because there's no boundaries.

To write the lyrics of "lf I Was Your Mother" on the new album, did you really put yourself inside the idea of being somebody's mother?
When you're so obsessed with love, regardless of who you are or who you're in love with, if it can become that focused and that unconditional, the only way that you could get any closer is to hove actually bore that person. A father can't actually be even that close. It hit me as an idea because I had become so, not obsessive, but in love. What else can you do? What else can you say?

When you did a motorcycle trip across America, what was the most awe-inspiring thing you saw?
I can't say just one thing. I rediscovered America. I went to places like Prescott, Arizona, where there was a guy playing a Doss mat was like a Droomstick one string and a s oup ketfe and singing his guts out in a bar, twelve noon'n'drunker than a skunk but living life, enjoying life.

Mike Edwards from Jesus Jones did a house remix of "Keep The Faith". What's the story?
Mike was great. I never even spoke to him, actually. We sent him the tapes. He wanted to do it. He did it and I don't even think we're gonna release it. Great idea, great in theory. It just didn't overly excite me. He did a great job. I didn't know how I could go out and do it live.

I heard a rumour that you got to like EMF.
EMF the band? That's not Jesus Jones, that's the other one. No, they both sound alike. Rumours abound in this country. I thought you were gonna tell me that my hair got burned off at a Springsteen barbecue.

So why did you change your hairstyle?
No big deal. Ifs not a case of Samson, I just sat down with a girl who cuts hair and she soys, "Can I cut your hair?" And I say, eah, ok." If anything, I didn't wanna you know, long hair, heavy metal, rock'n'roll band. Now I go to myself, Christ, I can't believe I had that mop for 15 years.

What do you think is the worst heavy metal fashion of all time?
I don't think that there was a worst heavy metal fashion because it just come to mind about how the disco era went through the white suit phase and the gold jewellery. The cowboys with those big belt buckles and mutton chops. I think we've gotten off easy.

Do you think there's ever been a good rock'n' roll movie?
I loved Tommy when I was a kid, but I don't know how it would hold up now. Gimme Shelter, the Rolling Stones movie, I enjoyed that immensely. Than Or Dare [In Bed With Madonna] I didn't get much out of. Rattle And Hum I didn't like at all. All of the Beatles movies were great.

What do you think of Bill Clinton?
This is the first president who's not old enough to be my father. Who understood rock'n'roll, who smoked dope, definitely (. . . .. . . ) that blonde and avoided the draft. He did the things that I can relate to. He called me last week I spoke to him. That's pretty hip.

What's your opinion of his saxophone playing?
Its ok- I wouldn't put him in the band tomorrow but look at that. He understands music. What an amazing thing.

Who invented the power hook, in your opinion?
I did. We were the ones that got it to the big time, that got it to the number ones and the big albums - not a million and two million but five and ten. And Def Leppard. They were before us. In America, there was Joumey before us, and
Foreigner. Those hard rock bonds were becoming radio friendly because there were hooks. There was the Sweet in the Sevenfies. There was Slade. Man, there was a band full of hooks. And Thin Lizzy.

Have you lost any of your New Jersey accent over the years?
I don't think so. There was a girl here interviewing me from the Guardian who claimed to be from New Jersey, but as I said thanks for coming she said, "Oh, cheers." I said, you've lost it, you've completely lost it." And she got so upset with me. She said, "I have not!" I said, you have too! We don't say'cheers' in New Jersey".

If you had two career choices: either a lounge singer in Vegas or a singer in a Florida death metal band, which would you choose?
Whatever song lyrics appealed to me better. I've never been one to preach doom and gloom but I'm not gonna go in there and sing "Feelings". In fact, I once told a good friend of mine, "Listen, if I'm ever in Vegas just get the hook and pull me,
because then we know we've truly exhausted it".

What would you do if you couldn't be in the music business any more?
I'd be really happy doing something as simple as working in an auto body shop.

In the future, do you think relations between women and men will get better or worse?
I think they'll get much better,'cause women are being treated more and more like the equals they should be, I think you'll see a woman president in our lifetime. I'm optimistic. "

oops....my bad...at least he said he liked it!
Old 08-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Destination any Forum

i think the band has just embraced the new technology available is all

There are people dancing on what
they perceive to be our grave