Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Unbroken vs. Walls vs. When We Were Us

General BJ Discussion

View Poll Results: Which of these songs do you like best?
Unbroken 2 6.25%
Walls 8 25.00%
When We Were Us 22 68.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2019, 02:36 AM
Jovi Freak

Default Unbroken vs. Walls vs. When We Were Us

Just as the title say. Curious about this one. I mean, it's all the stuff we've gotten since the regular THINFS record a couple of years back.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:24 AM
Posting everyday

Boring
Not bad, but forgettable
Decent one

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 03:58 AM
Jovi Freak

Walls is what I was/is hoping the new album would sound like. I love it.

I don't mind When We Were Us. Unbroken is meh.

Perth - January 25, 2008
Perth - December 8, 2010
Sydney - December 17, 2010
Sydney - December 19, 2010 (I Believe!!!)

East Rutherford - July 25, 2013
Melbourne - December 7, 2013
Melbourne - December 8, 2013
Perth - December 12, 2013

Sydney - December 8, 2018
Old 11-08-2019, 01:39 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

The nostalgia works for me so When We Were Us is the best one for me. Sounding the most as Bon Jovi. Unfortunately to an extent of sounding too much like something they did earlier.

Wall is too much trying to sound like something current. Well why not, it's not a go to song for me but for any variety of an album, let's have such songs there, release it as a single even with a little chance to appeal to the general audience and pop radios. But then, let's have a more classical sounding single as well

Unbroken is a bonus track type of song - actually what really should be a bonus track not like in BJ world where the bonus tracks are usually the best ones
I don't mind it, on the other hand I haven't listened to it since last Friday when it was released.
To follow on the thought from my previous paragraph - let's have such songs on albums too. It's boring when all the songs sound the same. Variaty is needed. That's why I kinda like RSO's album because there are very different songs (I'd just remove her )
That's why I also think that it was possible to make a more interesting mix of songs to make the main THINFS album. I know that probably nobody bought the standard version of 12 tracks but still, out of those 19 songs (plus a few from BB such as Teardrop To The Sea and those who are probably from 2014-16 sessions) you can make more variable and interesting mix.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 11-08-2019, 02:37 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
That's why I also think that it was possible to make a more interesting mix of songs to make the main THINFS album. I know that probably nobody bought the standard version of 12 tracks but still, out of those 19 songs (plus a few from BB such as Teardrop To The Sea and those who are probably from 2014-16 sessions) you can make more variable and interesting mix.
I think others have stated such a thing before as well and I agree. Though I gotta say that if I did a mix of the tracks from the BB/THINFS era, probably less then 1/3 of the final tracklist would actually be from the real THINFS album since the best ones have been put onto BB or sidelined to the bonus track status.
That's a bit of my problem with the releases of the last decade. There's always something remotely interesting there, but as soon as it's not a safe middle-of-the-road-doesn't harm anyone track, it gets put aside. That's why so many tracks from 2013 to now are interchangeable.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:48 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
The nostalgia works for me so When We Were Us is the best one for me. Sounding the most as Bon Jovi...
I'm a sucker for nostalgia, too, Johny; and I liked "When We Were Us" the first time I heard it. But at the Hall of Fame, as soon as Richie stepped up to share the mic with Jon, it became one of my very favorite Bon Jovi songs. In that moment, the lyrics came to life; because Bon Jovi was more "Us", and more like Bon Jovi, than they had been in a long, long time. Still makes me sappy. And happy.

I like Walls, too, despite the political backdrop. Probably because there's a personal application in it as well, thanks to the bridge.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found anything good to say about Unbroken.

Last edited by JackieBlue; 11-08-2019 at 04:51 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 04:35 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

When We Were Us is the best out the 3 by a mile for me. I actually remember liking Walls more on first listen but WWWU has stayed with me.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 11-08-2019, 04:58 PM
These Days

Unbroken is probably the worst BJ song to date. I was completely shocked when I heard it how mediocre everything about it was. I love most post-2000 BJ material but this one had nothing of what I love about BJ.

I loved Walls when it was released but has grown a little more plain for me since. Still a solid track that I give a spin every now and then.

WWWU is the winner. A real great BJ track. Nice melody, decent enough lyrics and actually has some energy to it! Loved having Richies backing vocals on it on the Hall of Fame.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Jovi Addict

I like all the three songs, but Unbroken at this moment is my favorite..., Walls instead is in the 2nd position, and When We Were US is in the 3nd position.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:38 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

WWWU has lasted far better than Walls, I also liked it live. Prefer Unbroken to Walls but WWWU is genuinely pretty great.