Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Jon Bon Jovi & Leadership

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-13-2013, 02:22 AM
Livin' on a Post

Send a message via AIM to trevrox
Default Jon Bon Jovi & Leadership

I'm doing a project in school on leadership. Our assignment is to pick someone who has been a leader in the last 40 or so years. Everyone is doing someone like Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., etc.

I want to do mine on Jon Bon Jovi. Does everyone here think that I can make a good project out of this? I think Jon has been quite a leader...

Does anyone have any ideas what sort of things I could put into my project that demonstrates Jon's leadership? Like he is a CEO, his charitable work, etc.

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2013, 02:44 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

On the music side, you should mention his firing Doc as manager and taking over the business of the band.

On the humanitarian side, you should mention his position on the White House council for Community Solutions (or something like that. Google it.)

There's also the arena football team where he was a leader even though he got out of it.

There's really quite a lot that could be said about Jon as a leader. And you're lucky to have the internet at your disposal. I'm so old that I didn't have the internet to help me write research papers/projects. LOL
Old 12-13-2013, 06:20 PM
These Days

I think that would be an awesome project! There's so much stuff out there on Jon's leadership. Like Becky said, google it; and if you haven't seen his appearance on Oprah's Master Class you may want to check out this link for additional ideas and quotes. When he talks about getting his start, there's a lot about ambition and drive, and knowing what you want and going for it, and how resourceful he was to get his music heard.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Something for the Posts

Since Jon has been a leader for THIRTY of the past 40 years, you have almost TOO MUCH material to work with, LOL -- but maybe that's just the former music journalist in me speaking.

I know what I'd do -- an overview of the evolution that Jon's leadership has had to take throughout those years. Not just in terms of the band (up to and including the current situation with Richie) and the music industry surrounding it, but how Jon has wielded the power that fame and fortune thrust upon him. Mention the charity work, yes, but also things like the presidential candidates who sought his endorsement and the religious fundamentalist who protested one of his concerts.

Look at what Jon has said about other bands and music critics, and what they've said about him. Go to You Tube and look at all the biographical videos you can, with When We Were Beautiful being a must. Filter in your own feelings about Bon Jovi: are you approaching this project as a fan, fanatic, acquaintance, or objective researcher? And of course, you're already in the right place: plenty of reading about how Jon's FANS feel about his leadership -- after all, they ARE the bottom line!

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 12-14-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Old 01-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Livin' on a Post

Send a message via AIM to trevrox

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknation View Post
Since Jon has been a leader for THIRTY of the past 40 years, you have almost TOO MUCH material to work with, LOL -- but maybe that's just the former music journalist in me speaking.

I know what I'd do -- an overview of the evolution that Jon's leadership has had to take throughout those years. Not just in terms of the band (up to and including the current situation with Richie) and the music industry surrounding it, but how Jon has wielded the power that fame and fortune thrust upon him. Mention the charity work, yes, but also things like the presidential candidates who sought his endorsement and the religious fundamentalist who protested one of his concerts.

Look at what Jon has said about other bands and music critics, and what they've said about him. Go to You Tube and look at all the biographical videos you can, with When We Were Beautiful being a must. Filter in your own feelings about Bon Jovi: are you approaching this project as a fan, fanatic, acquaintance, or objective researcher? And of course, you're already in the right place: plenty of reading about how Jon's FANS feel about his leadership -- after all, they ARE the bottom line!
Great advice! What is the part I put in bold about though? Haven't heard of this...

Going to be finishing this project up tomorrow. So I got Jon firing Doc and taking control of Bon Jovi, being the CEO of Bon Jovi for the last 23 years, he was able to keep Bon Jovi on top well after the 80s, still pack stadiums today, his ambition, his drive, his focus, the current predicament with Richie and Jon still leading his band through the rest of the tour, Soul Foundation, Soul Kitchen, Philadelphia Soul, Council for Community Solutions, his political activism...

That's just a general overview of everything I plan on touching on. But I'm very interested to hear more about this religious fundamentalist protesting a Bon Jovi show...
Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Jovi Addict

@trevrox

When you finish it, it would be great if you upload it here! The main reason he is still actively on the scene is his management
Hit the sunrise, scared the daylight out of me...
Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrox View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone!

Great advice! What is the part I put in bold about though? Haven't heard of this...

I guess it'd be the Westboro Baptist lunatics. I wouldn't include them to be fair, especially as the reasons were, lets say a tad flimsy:

Quote:
“These old fools have had access to millions all over the world for nearly 3 decades, but they have not one time told any of them what God requires of them. Why is that? Westboro Baptist Church has been telling you all for almost 20 years what the standard is and that obedience to that standard is not negotiable.”
http://www.examiner.com/article/west...t-tampa-videos

If thats what rocknation meant that is, but its the usual PR shit from those idiots and doesn't relate to Bon Jovi or his leadership in any way so I wouldn't even touch on it, in my opinion.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 01-05-2014, 02:57 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's my faith View Post
@trevrox

When you finish it, it would be great if you upload it here! The main reason he is still actively on the scene is his management
I'd like to see it, too. I was just thinking about this yesterday, wondering how your project was coming along, trevrox.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce7800 View Post
I guess it'd be the Westboro Baptist lunatics. I wouldn't include them to be fair, especially as the reasons were, lets say a tad flimsy:

If thats what rocknation meant that is, but its the usual PR shit from those idiots and doesn't relate to Bon Jovi or his leadership in any way so I wouldn't even touch on it, in my opinion.
I wouldn't include it either. The hype that they were going to be there to protest far outweighed what actually went down. There were a few people holding signs outside the arena and that was it. Jon didn't even acknowledge it at the show. It was really a nonevent.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce7800 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westboro Baptist Church
“These old fools have had access to millions all over the world for nearly 3 decades, but they have not one time told any of them what God requires of them. Why is that? Westboro Baptist Church has been telling you all for almost 20 years what the standard is and that obedience to that standard is not negotiable.”
A tad "flimsy?" You're being too kind!

I think Westboro relates in terms of the grudging respect for the power they perceive Jon to have over his "flock" -- which just goes to show you what lunatics they are. Maybe the reason why Bon Jovi haven't used their fame and fortune to preach "The Gospel According To Westboro" is because they were raised as Catholics and Jews...and if there's anyone Westboro hates almost as much gays, it's -- WAIT FOR IT!!! -- Catholics and Jews!

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 01-07-2014 at 07:42 AM..