Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Hurricane Butterfly (unreleased song)

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Keep the Faith

Some years ago someone shared old fanclub magazines I just checked.
Until winter 1991 (volume 3, issue 1) it was Backstage with Bon Jovi.
Volume 3 issue 2 still has the same name but it doesn't have a season or a year printed on it like the other one. Since there's a picture on the last page of Jon and his mother which says "summer is here so enjoy yourselves..." and there's a note of Jon and Dorothea thanking for the letters to their second anniversary I'd say it's summer 1991.
The issue starts with a foreword by Mrs. B:

"Over the past 3 years I have given my all to this fan club and I truly love doing it. When I started this endeavor back in October 1987, I began with nothing. Through hard work and with the help of my family and friends, the club is now a huge success. I do this out of love.
In the last few issues, I have been promising you a feature issue and interviews with the band. You requested and deserved answers to your mandy questions. This newsletter, like others, is late because I was either unable to obtain an interview or had to go to great lengths to secure responses. I waited as long as I could to have this issue published. So, my friends, there comes a time when I must consider restructuring this fan club.

Please do not take this to mean that Bon Jovi is breaking up. That isn't the case.

The reason for this is that it's easy for me to have access to Jon; and, therefore, I can continue to provide you with his interviews and information regarding himself and the band. However, due to the schedules of the other band members - with their family lives, careers, and other obligations - it is very difficult to obtain personal interviews with them. I don't want to promise you anything I can't deliver."

Voume 3 issue 3 is called Backstage with Jon Bon Jovi and it has a note about Richie's soloalbum being out on the market by the time the issue is released. Since Stranger was released in September 1991 I'd say it's late 1991 / early 1992.

Mrs. B's foreword in here:

"In our last issue, I addressed the new direction the fan club would be taking. Since we are now into our third year, I feel that it's very important di assess where we are. Before we made the announcement of the new name, I consulted with Jon and spoke to members of the band and their moms. I am at peace with my decision.

I appreciate your letters expressing 100% support, those letters having questions, and even those which were very blunt in their opinion. Each and every letter was read. I feel that an importan aspect of any productive organization or family is the ability to listen to each other. Change is difficult for some people, but I don't want you to read more into this. To put your mind at ease, I want to reiterate that this is still the official fan club of Bon Jovi.

You will see in this issue that we are keeping you informed on all our band members. However, I can only give you what I am given. I have spoken to each of the moms and asked if they or their sons wanted anything to go into this newsletter. All the mother's lifestyles have changed, and I accept their decision not to participate at the office. But we do stay in communication with each other and I have impressed upon them the fact that they will be responsible for keeping the fans informed of their sons' activities. I'm depending on them to supply the club with information."

She talks about starting the fan club in 1987 but also says in the last issue that they are in their third year.
I remember the fan club being founded as "Secret Society" during the Slippery days and changing the name later (somewhere during NJ) into Backstage.

Well, now let the analysis of her letters begin!
To me there're 2 things very clear:
1) Jon is his mother's son in all aspects
2) It was the beginning of the end

Last edited by Faceman; 10-09-2018 at 08:27 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Send a message via MSN to jon-flp

Here we have some prints of the papers of the fan clubs:

http://www.bonjovimuseum.com/main/ol...paper/id72.htm

It all began with "Secret Society". After, it became "Backstage with Bon Jovi" and then "Backstage with Jon Bon Jovi".
Old 10-10-2018, 12:55 AM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
My friend's mom ran Strictly Sambora.
http://www.bonjovimuseum.com/main/ol...paper/id78.htm

"Strictly Sambora This short lived fanclub is now defunct due to criminal activities by it's owner."

Huh?
Old 10-10-2018, 01:40 AM
Jovi Freak

They still count the anniversary of Backstage since 1988, the only cool thing there right now is what Admin posted about the Q&A; remember JBJ doesn’t like interviews too much so with luck we will get nice answers
I basically think, they all are lazy... kinda like when Captain_jovi here doesn’t want delete my posts anymore lol (I’m kidding Cj and I know you don’t get paid)
I will send a question about this song Hurricane Butterfly, if I got answered (wich I doubt) I will post it here; even if that’s against some rule on Backstage... jaja ops ops
Old 10-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_K View Post
http://www.bonjovimuseum.com/main/ol...paper/id78.htm

"Strictly Sambora This short lived fanclub is now defunct due to criminal activities by it's owner."

Huh?
Normally that means that the person running is was siphoning off money. it happened a lot around then. Def Leppard had this happen to them too.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
Normally that means that the person running is was siphoning off money. it happened a lot around then. Def Leppard had this happen to them too.
I know what it means. Question was meant for Captain_jovi who said that his friend's mom ran Strictly Sambora.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 AM
Something for the Posts

Jeez, ok..Chill out Tom...
Old 10-11-2018, 12:30 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Yikes! I wonder if I got the details wrong? I used to talk to a guy on a completely different non Jovi board. His mom had a HUGE Richie collection. She passed a few years ago and I lost touch with him but I'm going to see if I can find her name and see if it's true. If anyone can find who ran in it please let me know.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:03 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
Admin just posted this on Backstage O_O!

ASK YOUR QUESTIONS!
We’re selecting 2-3 questions each month to be answered by the band! Selected questions will be answered by one member of the band (JBJ, David, Tico, Hugh, Phil X, Everett, or John Shanks). While you may submit more than one question, please refrain from submitting the same question twice.

I replied lol:
Hi Jon Bon Jovi,
it's YOVANA from Peru

What are your favorite songs from the Box Set?
Any plan to release in ANY WAY unreleased tracks, rarities, etc. that the world haven't heard???

Gracias,
-_-

More than One month later...
and of course Admin doesn't post a thing on Backstage...
Old 12-01-2018, 02:36 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
ASK YOUR QUESTIONS!
We’re selecting 2-3 questions each month to be answered by the band! Selected questions will be answered by one member of the band (JBJ, David, Tico, Hugh, Phil X, Everett, or John Shanks).
Question: What is your favorite place to tour?
Hugh: "My favorite place to tour is England."
Question: How does writing and recording a new album work?
Shanks: "The process probably I would say is about a year, year and a half."

Seems they gonna answer short questions with short answers.