Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Jon Bon Jovi vs Richie Sambora: Who's the better singer overall?

General BJ Discussion

View Poll Results: Jon Bon Jovi vs Richie Sambora: Who's the better singer overall?
Jon Bon Jovi overall (Singing and voice) 25 53.19%
Richie Sambora overall (Singing and voice) 7 14.89%
Jon is the better singer technically - Richie has the better voice/tone 5 10.64%
Richie is the better singer technically - Jon has the better voice/tone 9 19.15%
Too hard to decide/too close to call 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2017, 11:21 PM
Runaway

Default Jon Bon Jovi vs Richie Sambora: Who's the better singer overall?

Hi guys! I'm interested to know your thoughts on this! I've done this poll on another forum (The Range Place) and I've gotten a healthy amount of different takes. Here's some comments on TRP:

"Jon was unstoppable from the early days of Bon Jovi up until about 1995, since then I think Richie far outstrips him in terms of power, even if Jon's tonality and range were better in his prime."

"For recent stuff, Richie for sure has the better tone - if you would ask me about Jon's voice of 20 years ago, he would clearly win overall (better singer and better tone)"

"To me, Jon's voice is more unique and iconic, whereas Sambora is way more technically and tonally gifted."

"Jon has the more memorable voice, and his control and stamina in his (albeit pretty short-lived) prime was extremely impressive. But I can understand why he might be a bit grating for some people, and Richie is probably more universally palatable in his sound, though it is less distinctive. All things considered, prime voice Jon all the way, but Richie has held up over the years better and is the better singer these days."

I want to know what the members of Jovitalk think! Who's the better singer overall?

Last edited by Gregsynthbootlegs; 09-09-2017 at 01:20 AM..

Old 09-08-2017, 11:46 PM
Price of posting

I answered the survey too fast so I will to qualify. Jon has the best voice and sings better in terms of performances, at least his first 20 years of career, then he has progressively down and gone, today there is very little left of that. Richie Sambora sings well, is good and his voice delights me, but it's not as good as Jon's, what I can say about Richie is that he can still sing with passion. Their songs are so different, and special for me, so for me it's not about who is the best or worst singer, but how to create and teach their own art, and the feeling.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 09-08-2017 at 11:49 PM..
Old 09-09-2017, 12:13 AM
These Days

I don't turn the volume down on either one of them.

While Jon is no doubt the better lead singer (as in "front man"), imo, Richie has always had the better voice and been the better singer. I think he's got Jon on technique, tone, range, versatility, emoting, suitability, attack, control... everything. He can sing lead as well as provide incredible harmonies and backing vocals; but as with his guitar playing, he knows when (and how) to dial it back to let the lead shine. He is able to cover for Jon, when necessary, not only by taking the lead occasionally, but also by doubling Jon vocally, so closely that unless they're slightly out of sync and you're specifically listening for it, it's hard to tell he's doing it.

Regarding the comments in the original post, I agree that Jon's voice is more unique and iconic, and therefore perhaps more memorable or recognizable; but I think Richie's voice is just as distinctive in its own way.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:54 AM
Livin' on a Post

Why not just say they both have great unique voices and lets leave it at that! there both very talented and have always complimented each other vocally, lets just leave it at this and not start a Jon V Richie thing again, please pretty please?
Old 09-09-2017, 01:19 AM
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa3 View Post
Why not just say they both have great unique voices and lets leave it at that! there both very talented and have always complimented each other vocally, lets just leave it at this and not start a Jon V Richie thing again, please pretty please?
I completely agree with that post!

This is just simply a fun poll on who's the better singer! On the Range Place forum - both singers have fans and I just wanted to know what people think of them as singers! No fights or drama! Just singing!
Old 09-09-2017, 02:11 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

The second mud starts getting slung the thread is getting locked so play nice people!
Old 09-09-2017, 03:04 AM
Jovi Freak

Richie's vocals were always somewhat akin to the guitar style of a shredder - he tends to overdo it, to oversing. Which is why he was PERFECT for backing vocals, when he had to emphasize certain parts ("WAAAAANTEEEEED") for everything they were worth, but falls SONEWHAT flat as a lead vocalist who has to maintain a sense of overall suspense and progression through the whole song, with a huge resolution in the chorus (or whenever). Constantly accentuating parts makes that effect go to waste.

On the other hand, look at the vocal work on something like Thank You For Loving Me. Sure, the track is not really a classic, but the buildup, how Jon gradually works his way up his range, that's understanding how to sing lead.

This sounds harsher than it is - Richie is still a damn fine singer, and technically, he was very much up there, too. But when each were in their prime, Jon just knew how to use his instrument better. I'm not just talking about "how to get a certain sound out", but really, how to apply it to good use.

Also... Richie does a bluesy rasp way more often than Jon (I can think of one of the last EVERYBODYs in Keep The Faith, but else? At least as far as studio stuff is concerned), but I don't think he EVER did those squeals Jon did a lot in the 80s (think Homebound Train or I'll Be There For You).
Old 09-09-2017, 04:37 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

The person who sucked me in was Jon with his voice. It wasn't his looks and it wasn't the live shows. I just loved his voice. To this day, it's Jons voice that keeps me interested even though it isn't what it was.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:35 AM
Jovi Fan

Jon also sucked me in with his voice. And not just singing. Loved the way he spoke also.

Wish he hadn't done all of the screams and squeaks. I believe this help to weaken his voice.

Richie is fantastic at harmonizing. The way his voice blended with Jon's was perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 05:37 AM
Jovi Fan

Oh dear! Not "squeaks" but "squeals"! Anything that isn't natural for a grown man and not a little girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk