Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

What is it with Radiohead?

Other Bands

Old 12-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Default What is it with Radiohead?

I know very little about this band but they seem to get soo much praise for what they do that it's actually a little annoying. From reading a few articles from Rolling Stone and a few other sources, everyone seems to love this band. They've been voted "best band in the world" on several polls. When I go to non music related message boards, lots of people rate them as their favourite band. Steven Tyler thinks they are really great! David Bowie said they are the best band around today.... A few other celebrities said they are their favourite band!!

I've heard three songs from them and I didn't really like any of them.... Maybe it's just my tastes but I found them to be quite depressing and dull. Sure they are probably good lyrically but whats the point when the guy singing doesn't sing his words clearly enough to hear half of what he's saying. Also, the music they make is probably strong and they are probably an original band but whats up with all the hype about them? Why are they so popular????

Old 12-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Blaze of Posting

Their first album I liked.I think the name of the record was ok computer.
but I only heard it like once or twice and didn't like it enough to buy it.
the last i heard of them they started experimenting with dance and techno music and noise.the songs I heard were just noise, so I haven't heard anything more of them in recent years, plus they are most definetly a critics band, at least in the US they have sold a mere 3 or 4 million or so with six albums,(the majority from their first album wich was a big hit).
they have their small and loyal fan base but they are to me just a critics band.

But what the hell do I know???
Old 12-11-2003, 03:37 AM
iNsPiReD sKy
Jovi FANatic

As I already posted somewhere:

Radiohead are an alternative band in its true meaning. I'd even go so far to say they're not a commercial band anymore. Since 1997 they keep releasing totally weird records, like they wanted to commit a commercial suicide. The really funny thing is... they tried to do so in 2000. They made no videos for "Kid A" album. They released no singles. They only released short animated clips called iBlips. Mostly on web sites. And that album went straight to #1 in USA. That must have been the weirdest thing I've seen in music.

They are a brave band whose main reason to write and play music isn't money, they do it because it's art...

Songs to check out:

- High & Dry ("The Bends")
- Fake Plastic Trees ("The Bends")
- Street Spitit ("The Bends")
- Anyone Can Play Guitar ("Pablo Honey")
- Paranoid Android ("OK Computer")
- Exit Music ("OK Computer")
- Lucky ("OK Computer")
- Karma Police ("OK Computer")
- No Surprises ("OK Computer")
Old 12-12-2003, 03:27 AM
Livin' on a Post

Default well have to agree with Peters assessment

I got into the band with the first Album "pablo Honey", it is the fact that what the band do is refreshing in a music sense, they experiment and sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. too many people clse thier minds to a certain degree, yet Radiohead opens new parameters.
I like Classical/original uk punk 76-79, heavy rock_prior to 1990, reggae music, soul music, ska music and parts of early mo-towm music.
unlike the brainwashed pop loving chart buying kids of today, Radiohead do not need MTV or media exposure anymore.
I would love to see the old days of no mtv, no 24 radio shows etc brainwashing people.
In the 70's , if someone said do you like Pink Floyd, you would have to admit that you never heard of them and have to ask a friend to tape their copy of the album for you or you would have to buy it yourself.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:37 AM
It's my post

Send a message via MSN to ponrauil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier
Their first album I liked.I think the name of the record was ok computer.
but I only heard it like once or twice and didn't like it enough to buy it.
the last i heard of them they started experimenting with dance and techno music and noise.the songs I heard were just noise, so I haven't heard anything more of them in recent years, plus they are most definetly a critics band, at least in the US they have sold a mere 3 or 4 million or so with six albums,(the majority from their first album wich was a big hit).
they have their small and loyal fan base but they are to me just a critics band.

But what the hell do I know???
No offense but not much about Radiohead
OK Computer is their fourth album after Pablo Honey (that has the song Creep on it that you probably know), My Iron Lung and The Bends. But it's probably the most popular with songs such as Karmapolis and Paranoïd Androïd.
I understand that you might not like the latest stuff because it's very special. They do integrate a lot of electronic sounds and effects to their work but it's nowhere near dance music or techno. Are Bon Jovi playing classical music because you hear violins in some songs?

They are appreciated by the critic mainly because they're not a commercial band. Critics like to see themselves as some sort of elite. Popular is commercial, and not for the elite, according to them. Also Radiohead has a huge artistic dimension that makes their work not easilly understandable. Critics pretend they get it by loving the band.

To me it is one of the best bands around these days because I like their originality and I run through a lot of different emotions with their music (much deeper and diverse emotions than with rock'n'roll), plus even if I don't understand the deeper meaning of all the lyrics it sounds poetic and I like that.

Their last album Hail To The Thief is one of the best albums I bought in recent years.

Also, to reduce the "shock" you get when suddenly switching from BJ to Radiohead, I recommend a transition through Muse's Absolution album.
Works for me

Ponrauil
Old 12-12-2003, 09:33 PM
iNsPiReD sKy
Jovi FANatic

Wow, well said Ponrauil!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:49 PM
It's my post

Send a message via MSN to ponrauil

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter
Wow, well said Ponrauil!