Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Opeth doing Wanted

Other Bands

Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Blaze of Posting

Default Opeth doing Wanted

http://www.metal4all.com/opeth-cover...orlando-video/

Hah! Opeth is a progressive metal band that is very highly regarded by critics and metalheads alike. Seen them live a couple of years ago at an arts festival and they were very very good. Anyway - this is hiarious. Clearly taking the piss - but the crowd seems to know the lyrics, between all the laughing, which is quite funny.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Blaze of Posting

"He's not so ****in' wanted anymore is he?" muaahahahhaa! Brilliant. BRILLIANT!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Wow, a band that plays Wanted as a joke to emphasize how much cooler they are than the band they're covering, yet in doing so it'd make a crowd react in America simply because they've had their first serious succes there in 18 years. It'd be like Jon taking the piss out of The Final Countdown when playing in Sweden. How incredibly original, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
How is that brilliant really when Jon's the one playing in front of 30.000 people and had succes after 3 years while Opeth only had theirs after 18. Really, how is that brilliant?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

Wow, a band that plays Wanted as a joke to emphasize how much cooler they are than the band they're covering, yet in doing so it'd make a crowd react in America simply because they've had their first serious succes there in 18 years. It'd be like Jon taking the piss out of The Final Countdown when playing in Sweden. How incredibly original, really.
I think it's a bit more like Jovi doing Scorpions in Munich. There was a little bit of taking the piss there but in the end it was still paying tribute to them. Akerfeldt played an acoustic versions of Wanted before saying he loves that song so it cant have all been to "emphasize how much cooler they are".

Quote:
How is that brilliant really when Jon's the one playing in front of 30.000 people and had succes after 3 years while Opeth only had theirs after 18. Really, how is that brilliant?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Supersonic going all fanboy and stuff! You are comparing a Swedish progressive experimental death metal band with a commercial pop-rock band from the States. Opeth regularly cracks the US Top 20. Considering what music they play, that is pretty damn incredible. Such comparisons are completely inappropriate anyhow. Again, in my mind, his comment had more to do with Jovi's attitude rather than the band's popularity. And I doubt anyone would disagree with that. However, that's just my interpretation - that's why I found the comment brilliant. Hope that made it clearer.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
I think it's a bit more like Jovi doing Scorpions in Munich. There was a little bit of taking the piss there but in the end it was still paying tribute to them. Akerfeldt played an acoustic versions of Wanted before saying he loves that song so it cant have all been to "emphasize how much cooler they are".
Erm, not really. Scorpions and Bon Jovi are in the same genre, thus I don't see how it'd be similar to Opeth covering Bon Jovi, a band that is seen as a joke by many, especially the people fan of music in the same genre as Opeth. If he'd have done it seriously he wouldn't have showed off as much and wouldn't have done it with all the laughing etc.

Quote:
You are comparing a Swedish progressive experimental death metal band with a commercial pop-rock band from the States. Opeth regularly cracks the US Top 20. Considering what music they play, that is pretty damn incredible. Such comparisons are completely inappropriate anyhow. Again, in my mind, his comment had more to do with Jovi's attitude rather than the band's popularity. And I doubt anyone would disagree with that. However, that's just my interpretation - that's why I found the comment brilliant. Hope that made it clearer.
I'm not sure what US Top 20 you're talking about but they're not regularly cracking the US Top 20, unless you're talking about the less important charts as Rock Album charts etc. And what does Jon's attitude have got to do anything with "He's not so wanted anymore now, is he?" You've not made it any clearer at all, I reckon it's your interpretation of his comment thus giving you more fuel to the "Ha Opeth agrees with me their awesome droool omg" instead of just taking something for what it is.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Blaze of Posting

I have a friend whose a huge Opeth fan, and through him I've heard that Akerfeldt loves WDOA as song, and has said so many times, for whatever that's worth to this discussion.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've watched the video like 4-5 times now and I can't hear this from Mike or the audience. When is it?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

Erm, not really. Scorpions and Bon Jovi are in the same genre, thus I don't see how it'd be similar to Opeth covering Bon Jovi, a band that is seen as a joke by many, especially the people fan of music in the same genre as Opeth. If he'd have done it seriously he wouldn't have showed off as much and wouldn't have done it with all the laughing etc.
You just speak words for the sake of speaking them. How does what you just wrote make any sense? Who cares if it's the same genre (not to mention that Jovi and the Scorps are only similar in terms of their ballads)? And the Scorpions are THE UNCOOLEST band in Germany anyway. In Munich - Jon laughs, makes stupid comments about 1984 being long gone and stupidly imitates Klaus Meine's stage movements. That looked to me like banter - which it was. That doesn't mean he doesn't like the Scorpions.

Quote:
I'm not sure what US Top 20 you're talking about but they're not regularly cracking the US Top 20, unless you're talking about the less important charts as Rock Album charts etc.
As far as I am aware, their last 3 records all made it to the top 20 Billboard 200 and even topped the US rock charts. Not to mention that they are HUGE in Germany and most of Europe. Heritage topped the UK rock charts and was definitely top 10 in Germany just as an example. Whichever way you put it, they are a massively popular band considering their musical genre and your whole point earlier made absolutely no sense.

I'd also add that they've probably been one of the most influential metal bands of the late 90s and the 00s.

Quote:
And what does Jon's attitude have got to do anything with "He's not so wanted anymore now, is he?" You've not made it any clearer at all, I reckon it's your interpretation of his comment thus giving you more fuel to the "Ha Opeth agrees with me their awesome droool omg" instead of just taking something for what it is.
Wanted Dead or Alive is a song about the attitude of a rockstar. There are a million interviews out there, fanboy, in which Jon Bon talks about how they ride into towns and take the money and women with them. Saying "he's not so ****in' wanted anymore" probably means that Jon Bon is not that cowboy anymore (but prefers baking pancakes for the homeless and stuff). Or do you honestly think that somebody leading one of Europe's most popular metal bands wouldn't have read that Jovi's tour was the biggest of the year? Then again, I'm asking you this question. You might well say "Yes- he missed that one!"

Last edited by DevilsSon; 11-15-2011 at 11:55 PM..
Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've watched the video like 4-5 times now and I can't hear this from Mike or the audience. When is it?
It's in a different clip that pops up on youtube.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Just posting

Never heard of Opeth.