Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

DEBATE TIME: Should weed be legalised?

NBJ - Everything Else

Old 01-31-2014, 01:03 AM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi
Default DEBATE TIME: Should weed be legalised?

So I see a few states in the US are looking at decriminalising weed and more are going to allow its use for medicinal purposes. Even the chief Obama himself has publicly stated that weed is no more harmful than alcohol.

What do you chaps and chapettes think?

Also - I stumbled across this article in the Huff and found it really scary. I might be reading it wrong or be naive and these dudes are up to all sorts that hasn't been reported but surely if they're following state laws, federal can't just roll in and hammer them? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3837618.html

Old 01-31-2014, 01:32 AM
Posting Always

I think The Netherlands have the right attitude to cannabis. It isn't legalised, but it is decriminalised. I suppose if you completely legalised it then it should be taxed the same way tobacco is - and you'll eliminate a big chunk out of the drug dealer market. Which is only a good thing on society.

Negatives for legalising it - main issue is mental health. Seen so many people fall victim of mental health offset by weed. Also it can lead onto the use of harder drugs - so perhaps in the short term a big chunk is taken out of the dealers' market, but eventually this will be replaced by a harder underground market.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Born to be my Baby

Not fazed either way about weed being legalised or not. What everyone should focus on is creating a cigarette that is healthy and cheap and makes my hair grow and gives me muscles and my wife lets me smoke. Maybe this reply should be in the drunken post thread.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:30 PM
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolai View Post
I think The Netherlands have the right attitude to cannabis. It isn't legalised, but it is decriminalised. I suppose if you completely legalised it then it should be taxed the same way tobacco is - and you'll eliminate a big chunk out of the drug dealer market. Which is only a good thing on society.

Negatives for legalising it - main issue is mental health. Seen so many people fall victim of mental health offset by weed. Also it can lead onto the use of harder drugs - so perhaps in the short term a big chunk is taken out of the dealers' market, but eventually this will be replaced by a harder underground market.
There's no evidence at all that weed use leads to the use of harder drugs.

That's like saying having a few beers leads to drinking brake fluid.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:16 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

I have always thought that weed should be legal. I could use the old argument that considering the damages that alcohol does, weed is lightweight. But even without using that argument, I don't understand a government that says I cannot use (in any way or form) a naturally grown substance. This stuff grows all over here in Northern NJ - empty lots, the NJ Transit right of way along the tracks etc.

Once the government finds a way to take a hefty tax bite from you - you can bet that it will be legal in more than 2 states. Yes this is my cynical self talking.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.

Last edited by Kathleen; 02-01-2014 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 02-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I have always thought that weed should be legal. I could use the old argument that considering the damages that alcohol does, weed is lightweight. But even without using that argument, I don't understand a government that says I cannot use (in any way or form) a naturally grown substance. This stuff grows all over here in Northern NJ - empty lots, the NJ Transit right of way along the tracks etc.

Once the government finds a way to take a hefty tax bite from you - you can bet that it will be legal in more than 2 states. Yes this is my cynical self talking.
I'm actually amazed that governments around the world haven't jumped on it for taxation already.

I would imagine the vast majority of the population couldn't care either way if it was legalised given how little an issue it is compared to the other social ills of alcohol, hard drugs and bad diets so I really don't understand why it hasn't come to the fore before now.

It's quite interesting that a socially conservative country like the US is taking these steps - I wouldn't imagine many places will be far behind.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Jovi Freak

I wouldn't start smoking weed if it was legal because I don't really have any interest in it, but I think it should be... Have seen first hand that the effects of alcohol are often much worse.
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne - 8 December 2013
Perth Arena, Perth - 12 December 2013
Arena Joondalup, Perth (Soundwave) - 3 March 2014
ANZ Stadium, Sydney - 8 December 2018

Blame It On The Love...
Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 AM
PLAY KING OF THE MOUNTAIN...
I Don't Want To Post Forever

I ****ing hate the smell of weed, disgusting.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
I ****ing hate the smell of weed, disgusting.
You probably mean grass. That shit stinks.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:19 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

I'm not quite sure what to think of this just yet. When I was still in graphic school there was a coffee shop just around the corner. I bought weed there one time for a classmate (no seriously ) because he was too young to buy some. Didn't think much of it back then.

A few years later though, at least half of my classmates sat in class stoned at least once, and several got addicted to the stuff, much like some get addicted to cigarettes. The effect of them being addicted to weed was that several failed class and obviously couldn't deal with weed being "everywhere". I had friends of suffered from short term memory loss all thanks to weed. It was the typical local country boy goes to school in the big city story.

Considering the amount of tourists in Amsterdam not being able to deal with the "free" weed out there, I'm kind of curious what it'd be like would it actually be fully legal here, or anywhere for that matter. Their problems are relatively small (can't find their hotel etc.). If they'd suddenly be exposed to it every day, and get addicted, they just might never find their way back home anymore. Much like with alcohol and Korsakoff etc.

Every generation here in Holland is being raised with the thought of it just being out there and there's a select few who can't deal with it. Yet the general attitude towards it over where I live, is much different compared to other parts of Holland, where people seem to think it's drugs, thus evil. All saying this while chain smoking or binge drinking every weekend, obviously.

I don't think you can just legalize something when in a country like Holland there's still people being so uneducated about it. Americas ridiculous policy doesn't make much sense to me either though. I don't think you should go to prison for being in posession of marijuana, but just legalizing something when people don't really know what the consequences of taking it are, isn't the solution either.

Considering how people still drink and drive when thinking "the effects of being drunk have faded", and me seeing first hand how someone who smoked a joint thought that several hours later he was up for driving, I'm not quite sure how to control either one of these things. Seeing how 14 year old kids can still get alcohol from the supermarket here right across the street, I kind of wonder what it'd be like if weed would be legal everywhere.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan