Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Phil X

Tour Discussion

Old 06-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Runaway

Send a message via MSN to One_Wild_Carl Send a message via Yahoo to One_Wild_Carl

I personally think Phil X has done a good job covering for Richie, for sure Richie Sambora is one of the great guitarists but after seeing them in Manchester and Birmingham, we got two really good shows and Phil looked to be loving it up there.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Keep the Faith

Send a message via ICQ to jessycardy Send a message via MSN to jessycardy

He might be good, he might be humble, he might fill the big boots well in the short run. But... just no. A few of my brain cells die every time I try to understand how can ANYONE on this planet fail to see how you either have Richie Sambora or you don't have Bon Jovi. The blues, the song-writing, the bond... everything.
And to top it all, as good as Phil is, he's miles away from Bon Jovi's style too. A thrasher in Bon Jovi? Wut?!?
night after night after night after night"

Bon Jovi - Dry County
Old 06-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to ticos_stick

I've grown to appreciate Phil X a lot more recently. He always seems up for it and is probably having the time of his life up there. But as a long term member he's just doesn't fit the bill. As the person above says, It's Richie or nothing.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkkes View Post
I'm not wishing Richie has opted "out" for good, but I wouldn't mind seeing what a new album could be like with guitars exclusively by Phil X.

I say this for a few reasons.

Phil X could be a household name, if he could write killer anthems. nope. JBJ yep. (RS too - but he's opted out)
Phil X doesn't read notation, he has developed his own shorthand.
Phil X is popular as a session man, purely because he can rock up, hear the track and lay down a choice of killer solos, first attempt. (EVH - Beat it scenario) He is probably more at home in the studio than he is on the big stage.
Phil X played guitars for JBJ on the "Greatest Hits" track "What do you got?" so he's no stranger to the recording vagaries of the Bon Jovi machine.

If. RS is fed up with it, and some say it shows from the offerings on Because We Can, (in that the music has less balls) then some new blood from Phil X, with a return to the "Rockier" album sound, might open a whole new chapter for the future. I'd be happy to see (and hear) that.

Would certainly be interesting to see the out come of a recording session together, i would imagine it would be heavier which would suit me down to the ground. They really need to go back to their roots and stop following the fads, cause it just aint working, losing long term fans and not gaining any new ones

http://www.facebook.com/eddie.bland
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessycardy View Post
And to top it all, as good as Phil is, he's miles away from Bon Jovi's style too. A thrasher in Bon Jovi? Wut?!?
I might have agreed with a few of the points you mentioned but this one is not just wrong, it's stupid. Being technically proficient and being a thrasher are two very different types of playing. He still has feel, but he's on a different level than Richie, Richie is far superior, but that's because of the way he approaches the songs (he caters to the song and makes his solos sound as if it can be played by any instrument which makes them more than just solos but minor compositions of their own, well he used to anyway). Phil is more showing off and relying on technicality, nothing wrong with it, just different.

Plenty of soul and feel there, but more of a having a good time and partying vibe, again nothing wrong with that, just different and NOT "thrasher"...
Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Keep the Faith

Send a message via ICQ to jessycardy Send a message via MSN to jessycardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
I might have agreed with a few of the points you mentioned but this one is not just wrong, it's stupid. Being technically proficient and being a thrasher are two very different types of playing. He still has feel, but he's on a different level than Richie, Richie is far superior, but that's because of the way he approaches the songs (he caters to the song and makes his solos sound as if it can be played by any instrument which makes them more than just solos but minor compositions of their own, well he used to anyway). Phil is more showing off and relying on technicality, nothing wrong with it, just different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgi0pT3eCXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RQ3HiJvO3o

Plenty of soul and feel there, but more of a having a good time and partying vibe, again nothing wrong with that, just different and NOT "thrasher"...
I actually agree with everything you said. I might have used the wrong word for it, to me a thrasher could still be good and have feel, but maybe it's just my take on it. What I meant is exactly what you said. "Hotel California" shows it perfectly well, I think. It's good, it's passionate, but it's different in a way I can't really and fully enjoy. It sounds like the soul is gone and what's left is a dry and metal sound. I don't and didn't mean to belittle Phil X in any way, but he's just not my thing and I don't think he's Bon Jovi's either.
night after night after night after night"

Bon Jovi - Dry County
Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Next 100 Posts

Having seen both Manchester and Birmingham this tour, I think it's fair to say that Phil X has fitted in a lot better than the UK crowd were probably expecting. I think in terms of memories of both shows the extended but still regular parts of KTF (keeping Mr Williams well out of it, even if the heart was in the right place) was a real eye opener and something I hadn't seen between Richie, Bobby and Dave in previous shows. And Phil's playing during Always (I think it was) seemed to impress more than I was expecting.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Jovi FANatic

He was better than I expected and I really enjoyed both shows. The band have raised their game and at this time phil x is part of it and loving the opportunity. Fair play to him as he changed my mind!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessycardy View Post
I actually agree with everything you said. I might have used the wrong word for it, to me a thrasher could still be good and have feel, but maybe it's just my take on it. What I meant is exactly what you said. "Hotel California" shows it perfectly well, I think. It's good, it's passionate, but it's different in a way I can't really and fully enjoy. It sounds like the soul is gone and what's left is a dry and metal sound. I don't and didn't mean to belittle Phil X in any way, but he's just not my thing and I don't think he's Bon Jovi's either.
That's fair, different tastes I guess. I on the other hand, enjoyed the hell out of those performances, but I'm a fan of the guy so I'm biased lol
Old 06-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda

Yeah he's pretty dreamy too.