Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Phil X

Tour Discussion

Old 06-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Jovi FANatic

Default Phil X

Ok, so thought i would start a thread on the ultra cool Phil X, great player fits right in and i didnt even miss sambo at brum. The man is doing a stirling Job.

I would have no issuesif Phil was to join the band if Rich Left !

What does everybody else think ?

http://www.facebook.com/eddie.bland

Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Keep the Faith

Same here,dont see RS coming back tbh. I get the feeling last nights show wouldnt have been so long if he had been there too.
Maybe theyll do an Iron Maiden and have 3 guitarists(plus Jon).Or just get rid of Bobby. I know it wont happen but imagine Phil X and Richie trading riffs and solos either side of Jon.
87 Donington
88 Birminham Nec x 3
89 MK Bowl
89 Birmingham Nec x 3
93 Birmingham Nec x 2
93 MK Bowl
95 Sheffield Don Valley
96 Manchester Maine Rd.
2000 Stoke Brittania
2001 MK Bowl
2006 Manchester/MK Bowl x 2
2008 Manchester/Twickenham x 2
2011 Manchester Old Trafford
2013 Villa Park
Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 AM
It's my post

http://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55703
Old 06-11-2013, 02:01 AM
These Days

I have no issues with him as a live act, but I wouldn't want Sambora to leave, he's a session musician, he wouldn't have any imput on the new albums and we would have solo albums recorded with the band... and don't say "What About Now" is one of them as Richie actually had imput on that one, so imagine.

(+ Santiago 09/24/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/26/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/16/2017)
These Days!

Old 06-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Sorry guys Phil may be a good thrash man but as far as BON JOVI goes there is only Sambora that can do the job.......Phil X was good at Manchester but what I missed was Richies fill ins and style, take Raise your hands for example where Richie has lots of fills to play, or Wanted......not the same without him. dont get me wrong Im not a huge fan of Richie at this moment in time, I was!! but after this he has got some ground to make up (if he does return) but for the BON JOVI sound I have etched into my being, Only Richie can do the job.......DOnt get me wrong I know we all need to embrace change and move forwards but for me Phil just doesnt fit in, thats not dissing him, i just dont believe hit fits into the BON JOVI machine.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Blaze of Posting

Phil is amazingly cool and seems like a humble guy that's really pumped to be doing his job. One thing that I got out of all of this Richie mess is discovering Phil and I'm actually a fan of his work with the drills. If it was the only choice then I wouldn't have anything against Phil actually being part of the band as in recording or else, but i'd rather have Richie there, his style just fits Bon Jovi and even though he's an asshole, he's part of the experience. I'd rather have Phil open for Bon Jovi in the future
Old 06-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

X can play just fine...its Richie's stage presence, his style, his stardom (the 'it factor') and his vocals/harmonies I miss the most. My last 4-5 shows (the end of US Circle tour) and 3 in April this year have all been X, and while I enjoyed them and am pumped for Soldier Field and Vegas, I'm ready for Richie to return...I'm thinking Soldier Field for the return.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Blaze of Posting

This I'll say. Phil I think should finish off the tour, and I mean the entire tour. It would just seem so hypocritical of Sambongo to return mid tour like that without any reasonable explanation. Let X finish off the tour, then have a meeting with Sambo, settle whatever there is to settle and if and when Richie comes back, have him be 100% into it, no less....
Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 AM
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
This I'll say. Phil I think should finish off the tour, and I mean the entire tour. It would just seem so hypocritical of Sambongo to return mid tour like that without any reasonable explanation. Let X finish off the tour, then have a meeting with Sambo, settle whatever there is to settle and if and when Richie comes back, have him be 100% into it, no less....
Yup.

The man can play. If Richie was playing this good, albeit with his own Richie style, people would be clamoring over him. There are certain aspects of Phil's style that don't mesh perfectly with the Bon Jovi sound, but I don't think they could find a better replacement, especially with those big shoes to fill.

And to top it all off, he is genuinely enjoying this opportunity. He's a good enough guy to not wish the worst (whatever the **** it is) upon Richie, but I imagine he was thrilled to have the chance of playing to stadiums of people. Who the hell wouldn't?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Breakout

I'm not wishing Richie has opted "out" for good, but I wouldn't mind seeing what a new album could be like with guitars exclusively by Phil X.

I say this for a few reasons.

Phil X could be a household name, if he could write killer anthems. nope. JBJ yep. (RS too - but he's opted out)
Phil X doesn't read notation, he has developed his own shorthand.
Phil X is popular as a session man, purely because he can rock up, hear the track and lay down a choice of killer solos, first attempt. (EVH - Beat it scenario) He is probably more at home in the studio than he is on the big stage.
Phil X played guitars for JBJ on the "Greatest Hits" track "What do you got?" so he's no stranger to the recording vagaries of the Bon Jovi machine.

If. RS is fed up with it, and some say it shows from the offerings on Because We Can, (in that the music has less balls) then some new blood from Phil X, with a return to the "Rockier" album sound, might open a whole new chapter for the future. I'd be happy to see (and hear) that.

Last edited by gkkes; 06-11-2013 at 02:45 PM..