8 12 18.18%
9 1 1.52%
10 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2020, 07:50 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post

Why would you think that? Serious question. You just claim that. Why would young rock fans who grew up on Alter Bridge, Slipknot and Halestorm be awaiting the return of Bon Jovi to a rock sound?
Because his minds are open when it's rock n roll sound. Why the people that listened Keith Urban and other country bands, they got interested in listen Bon Jovi's Lost highway?

Old 07-25-2020, 09:18 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
Because his minds are open when it's rock n roll sound. Why the people that listened Keith Urban and other country bands, they got interested in listen Bon Jovi's Lost highway?
Not sure I follow. Whose minds?
Old 07-26-2020, 02:31 AM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Crazy Lixx's "Ruff Justice" was the best AOR/hair metal record since Crashdiet's debut. It sold worse than Burning Bridges.

-The Scorpions went on a farewell tour 10 years ago. They've since released a couple of new records. I can only imagine your reaction if BJ pulled this shit. And you're not seriously defending stuff like Eye 2 Eye?
I'm a massive Scorpions fan. Eye II Eye is probably their worst album, they tried to be a boy band in some songs, but the album is more harder rock than What About Now and HAND. They ****ed up trying to drastically change their sound on the main singles, but there is some modern hard rock songs there.

Bon Jovi is not a harder rock band because they don't want to, the market is still active and going strong.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:58 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielC View Post
I'm a massive Scorpions fan. Eye II Eye is probably their worst album, they tried to be a boy band in some songs, but the album is more harder rock than What About Now and HAND. They ****ed up trying to drastically change their sound on the main singles, but there is some modern hard rock songs there.

Bon Jovi is not a harder rock band because they don't want to, the market is still active and going strong.
Sure but that's not the argument. They're trying to sound like artists that still sell massive amounts of albums. To the point where they've given up their identity to try and sound relevant. But classic rock artists aren't selling that great with their new material in America and end of the day that's the market it feels like they are the most chasing.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:18 AM
Dry County

Unless the other songs on the album are somewhat listenable, this is shaping up to be not only BJ’s worst record but one of the worst records I’ve ever listened to. So far, I find the 4 songs to be terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2020, 06:09 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
No, it's not what I said. And what I said applys more to the songs than the full albums. A song like Bad Medicine wouldn't be a successful radio single anymore. And all the bands listed in your post don't have successful radio singles either. They get played by rock stations which have nothing to do with single or album charts. They just play it because they're rock artists. And at least in German rock radio, Bon Jovi gets played quite often as well - from Runaway to Limitless.
I know a song like Bad Medicine wouldn't be as succesful but Limitless is not a succesful single either. It gets played on the radio because it's by Bon Jovi, not because it's deemed a good song. Would Bon Jovi release something with a more classic rock sound it'd get played as well. You're still under the assumption the sound they have now is what gives them an audience but I don't think it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
But classic rock artists aren't selling that great with their new material in America and end of the day that's the market it feels like they are the most chasing.
But that's still saying they "need" to have this poppy production in order to sell. It's as if Bon Jovi fans think they need to sound like this in order to sell this many copies while the people still buying Bon Jovi albums will buy it regardless of quality or sound. It's a "I'll buy this one because I've got all the other ones" mentality as opposed to "I'll buy this one as well because I like it". They've not gained any new fans with this stuff. If they had the albums wouldn't dissappear from the charts in a few weeks.

Quote:
Crazy Lixx's "Ruff Justice" was the best AOR/hair metal record since Crashdiet's debut. It sold worse than Burning Bridges.
Crazy Lixx never had the same audience Bon Jovi had, they're obviously not going to outsell anyone here. Apples and oranges.

Quote:
-The Scorpions went on a farewell tour 10 years ago. They've since released a couple of new records. I can only imagine your reaction if BJ pulled this shit. And you're not seriously defending stuff like Eye 2 Eye?
Eye 2 Eye is 2 decades ago, it's a different world. The Scorpions returned to the sound they have now exactly because stuff like Eye 2 Eye didn't work. Whether they've gone on a farewell tour or whatever has little to do with this.

Quote:
-AC/DC have updated their sound. Right.
Yes. They still make the same songs but drums and guitars all sound different compared to the eighties. It's not much, but there's a difference there.

Quote:
-Black Sabbath have updated their sound. Right. They also played zero new songs by the end of the last tour.
Same like AC/DC. Whether they played the songs live is irrelevant. Bon Jovi do play the updated stuff live and no one cares for that either.

Quote:
-Mötley Crüe haven't released a new studio album since 2008. They also pulled the faux farewell card, and Vince sounds about as good as JBJ nowadays.
Vince not being able to sing has nothing to do with this. Mötley Crüe tried a more poppy sound in the nineties and it didn't work. Their comeback album was with similar songs to the eighties but with an updated sound and worked like a charm because there's a hunger for classic rock.

Quote:
-David Bowie died about 5 years ago. He had been on a ~10 year hiatus until shortly before.
Doesn't matter. David Bowie wasn't incorporating nowaday's pop music in his songs either. He didn't do so in 2002 and 2003 either.

Quote:
-The Stones haven't updated their sound. Period. Their last record was a blues cover record, their last album of original material was released in 2005.
Doom and Gloom is the same Stones but with a updated sound. Songs of this decade sound different than the stuff produced in the nineties.

Quote:
-Iron Maiden have sounded the same since the mid 90s. Which is fine.

Apparently the list is very much finite.
No, it isn't. You're bringing in a lot of arguments which have little to do with the subject. Not being able to sing, farewell tours, not playing the songs live., times when an album gets released... It all has little to do with it. Classic rock still sells a lot.

Bon Jovi fans always, for whatever reason, take pride in the band "evolving". It's as if the bullshit fed by Jon is a testament to their opinion on Bon Jovi's changing sound. "If they hadn't changed their sound they wouldn't get played on the radio". Bon Jovi don't get played on the radio for over a decade now. Songs of The Circle, What About Now, This House Is Not For Sale weren't played on the radio either. Why bother with this faux-modern sound when all it does is ultimately drive fans away?

All these poppy elements since Crush have made every album sound so very very dated the moment it got released. A new Bon Jovi record always sounds like it was released last year. 2020, especially with it being delayed for half a year, is going to suffer that same fate. It's as if they only people who really enjoy what Bon Jovi songs sound like are Jon and John Shanks.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 07-26-2020 at 06:13 AM..
Old 07-26-2020, 09:27 AM
Jovi FANatic

The problem for me is that Shanks is too involved and long past his use. HAND, Lost Highway and The Circle all have good monents and are all different in style and sound. That should have ended the bands association with Shanks, but I imagine Richie lost interest during What About Now, with that album then becoming more Jon and his reliance on Shanks. Jon trusts him and has been lazy in not wanting another producer to push him and the band in another direction, or even back to a more classic rock sound. There is a huge market for classic rock but Jon confuses nostalgia with what still sells, or maybe Shanks does. I don't know many bands who place their producer in the band and have them play in the live shows, I guess it's because he also plays more in the studio than any of us know.

Bon Jovi have been on the decline for a number of years, yes Jons voice doesn't help, yes no Richie doesn't help but it is Jon's decision making that has ultimately given us what we now have.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:43 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster73 View Post
Bon Jovi have been on the decline for a number of years, yes Jons voice doesn't help, yes no Richie doesn't help but it is Jon's decision making that has ultimately given us what we now have.
Absolutely! Blaming Shanks is an easy excuse to direct your disappointment/put a blame on sb, but ultimately it's all about what Jon wants. And Jon wants it this way.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:26 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Mötley Crüe tried a more poppy sound in the nineties and it didn't work. Their comeback album was with similar songs to the eighties but with an updated sound and worked like a charm because there's a hunger for classic rock.
New Tattoo being their comeback album? That one didn't sell. Period. Saints of Los Angeles sounded nothing like old Crue, since you could tell it was co-written by a bunch of professional songwriters. Supposedly Tommy didn't even play on it.

Not bothering with the rest, 'cos after 20 years, your spiel is so damn tired.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:41 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
I know a song like Bad Medicine wouldn't be as succesful but Limitless is not a succesful single either. It gets played on the radio because it's by Bon Jovi, not because it's deemed a good song. Would Bon Jovi release something with a more classic rock sound it'd get played as well.
100% right and I never said anything opposing.

Quote:
You're still under the assumption the sound they have now is what gives them an audience but I don't think it does.
Please give me the quote where I said that - because I didn't.
I'm with you on that one.

What I said was that the sound they have now pisses me off and that I'm missing the courage and the creativity to reinvent themselves once more.
We Don't Run, A Teadrop To The Sea or Who Would You Die For where somehow different and I would've liked to see them following that direction - which they obviously didn't.
For their chart success it wouldn't make any difference if they released a new Bad Medicine, Limitless or Jon reading the phone book.