Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

BlackLivesMatter

NBJ - Everything Else

Old 06-12-2020, 02:35 AM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to mo_rizwan
Default BlackLivesMatter

Just curious as to what everyone makes of what's happening globally regarding this movement.

I will say that on the social media platforms that I use, I'm beginning to see a divide on opinions.

And I find it weird how a lot of catch-up and streaming platforms are cancelling shows due to (potential) depictions of race.

I've gotta say I've always admired Al Sharpton for being an advocate for Black people.

Last edited by mo_rizwan; 06-14-2020 at 01:47 AM..

Old 06-12-2020, 10:13 AM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_rizwan View Post
Just curious as to what everyone makes of what's happening globally regarding this movement.

I will say that on the social media platforms that I use, I'm beginning to see a divide on opinions.

And I find it weird how a lot of catch-up and streaming platforms are cancelling shows due to (potential) depictions of race.

I've gotta say I've always admired Al Sharpton for being an advocate for Black people
Don't get me started

http://www.facebook.com/eddie.bland
Old 06-14-2020, 04:10 AM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to mo_rizwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
Don't get me started
Ooooh, I'm intrigued now.

Oh, go on....I need a good read while in isolation LOL
Old 06-14-2020, 11:49 AM
These Days

In the link below, there is a letter written by an anonymous history professor at UC Berkley explaining his/her displeasure regarding the university's support for BLM. As the writer says, while this shouldn't matter, he/she is a person of colour and it, unfortunately, does matter at this time.

I work in a university (not in America) and it is deeply troubling that this person is correct that he/she would lose their job if this letter was not anonymous. This is despite it being a beautifully written, cogent, and evidence-based argument.

It sums up my feelings pretty well. The only thing it doesn't cover is the fact that the best data that are available to us shows that white people in the US are significantly more likely to be killed by police than black people, both in absolute numbers and as a proportion of those who commit a crime. It undermines the entire basis of the BLM movement.

https://uncoverdc.com/2020/06/12/uc-...ral-orthodoxy/
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days
Old 06-14-2020, 10:14 PM
Tokyo Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
In the link below, there is a letter written by an anonymous history professor at UC Berkley explaining his/her displeasure regarding the university's support for BLM. As the writer says, while this shouldn't matter, he/she is a person of colour and it, unfortunately, does matter at this time.

I work in a university (not in America) and it is deeply troubling that this person is correct that he/she would lose their job if this letter was not anonymous. This is despite it being a beautifully written, cogent, and evidence-based argument.

It sums up my feelings pretty well. The only thing it doesn't cover is the fact that the best data that are available to us shows that white people in the US are significantly more likely to be killed by police than black people, both in absolute numbers and as a proportion of those who commit a crime. It undermines the entire basis of the BLM movement.

https://uncoverdc.com/2020/06/12/uc-...ral-orthodoxy/
"I condemn the manner of George Floyd’s death and join you in calling for greater police accountability and police reform."

Quite a weird way to begin their conclusion. Here's several thousand words denouncing BLM, but actually I agree with their stated aims?

The fact is that as a general rule, the police should not be killing people who are not presenting an immediate threat; be they black, white, or of any other description. If the anger of millions of black (and non-black as well) people worldwide at this extrajudicial killing acheves that result (as it actually does appear to be doing so, in Minnesota), then doesn't that make the movement worthwhile?

Plus, the political bias in this makes it difficult to take seriously. Not supporting something just because Democrats do is not a well-reasoned postition.

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!