Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

28 years of Blaze if Glory

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-08-2018, 05:53 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default 28 years of Blaze if Glory

To me, still one the greatest CDs of my lifetime.

28 years? I remember shopping for school clothes with my BFF and her mother the day it was released. My BFF was in the dressing room trying on stuff and I was reading lyrics. We put the cassette in when we were leaving the mall and when it started with “Yoo hoo, I’ll make you famous,” her mom nearly wrecked bc she thought some man had hid in the backseat. She was NOT amused. I, however, am laughing about it right now. 28 years later.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:06 AM
The Distance

The best part about this album was not knowing it was coming out... When Bon Jovi was truly in their mainstream prime, songs would just show up... I heard Blaze and instantly fell in love with that song... I didn't even know it was solo...

Then the album hit which basically defined my summer of 1990... I played it round the clock during our family vacation... To this day, my mother will still bring up that vacation when she hears Band A Drum.

Then Levon hit the radio which is basically just an extension of the album being it was all record during that back to back Blaze then Blood On The Bricks recording sessions...

Levon is my 11 track just like Edge is for Slippery...

I only wish they had more in the vault...The best they probably have are some outtakes... It was written and recorded so quickly, I doubt there are any other demos... Some of the solo songs from KTF and Box Set Leftovers are the closest things we have to that magic...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2018, 06:19 AM
Jovi Freak

well... I have no memories, hmmm I was 3
but some years later I said: what a writer JBJ is! -_-
Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Price of posting

Santa Fe is still one of JBJ greatest songs.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 08-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Something for the Posts

I clearly remember buying the Vinyl from HMV along with 2 Blaze OF Glory T-shirts, one white, one black. I still love the whole record, and Jon had really found his stride as a songwriter and a singer! There are some great lyrics on the album! I agree with Steel_horse75 about Santa Fe.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:27 PM
Posting everyday

Musically, I think the album is a bit overrated at times. But the lyrics are great and really nail that cowboy imagery perfectly! And the vocals are stunning!

Santa Fe is great, but my favourite has always been Dyin' Ain't Much of A Living.

While my favourite lyrics are these:
Well, my eyes have seen the horror
of the coming of the flood
I've driven deep the thorny crown
into the soul of someone's son
Old 08-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Musically, I think the album is a bit overrated at times. But the lyrics are great and really nail that cowboy imagery perfectly! And the vocals are stunning!

Santa Fe is great, but my favourite has always been Dyin' Ain't Much of A Living.

While my favourite lyrics are these:
Well, my eyes have seen the horror
of the coming of the flood
I've driven deep the thorny crown
into the soul of someone's son
Musically? The musicians on there are amazing and although it may be Jeff Beck’s weakest album collaboration; his guitar work is still out of this world...he’s not my favourite guitarist ever, but he is technically perfect and knows exactly what fits in every song. Just imagining a Bon Jovi record recorded with him today; he could take all those shitty pop-rock songs Jon writes and turn them into something worth listening to 😊
Old 08-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesedays2014 View Post
Musically? The musicians on there are amazing and although it may be Jeff Beck’s weakest album collaboration; his guitar work is still out of this world...he’s not my favourite guitarist ever, but he is technically perfect and knows exactly what fits in every song. Just imagining a Bon Jovi record recorded with him today; he could take all those shitty pop-rock songs Jon writes and turn them into something worth listening to 😊
It is and his BOG solo is breathtaking! He lifted the songs up, no doubt about that. I just don't find some of the tunes too exciting musically to start with. The musicians did an incredible job, but I don't think they were too involved in the development of the tunes.

And yeah, imagining Jeff Beck playing the guitar on some of the more recent songs definitely would've put them onto another level. THINFS might've been a really good album that way because the guitar work clearly is the weak link there.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Posting everyday

The raw solo for BOG:

You can even hear Jon's "yeah" at the end
Old 08-08-2018, 02:36 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Musically, I think the album is a bit overrated at times. [/I]
If anything this album is underrated....

It's listed as a soundtrack (because that's what it is) and I feel the album is forgotten and overlooked among many fans... I also feel the record company didn't support it like it was a major release either...

It only sold a couple million during its initial run which is considered a failure for those times... I think lack of support and no tour hurt it a little

Blaze was a monster hit... not only was it a number one single but it was nominated for 2 Grammy's, an academy award and won a golden globe...

I think what happened was, the single dropped a month before the album so everyone ran out and got the single (aka #1 single) and by the time the album came out, the soundtrack thing didn't appeal to the masses...

Although Miracle was the second single and had a video, I feel it didn't get the radio play it deserved. When it failed to crack the top 10, the record company dropped it... (although it got that cheesy third video for Dyin)