Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

For the experts - Bon Jovi videos in 4k

General BJ Discussion

Old 02-27-2020, 07:14 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Send a message via MSN to jon-flp
Default For the experts - Bon Jovi videos in 4k

A time ago I saw Bon Jovi announce via twitter that some old videos were being "transformed" for 4k resolution. At the first time it meant nothing for me, until I stoped and watched LOAP video. And shocked me how much details I could see and how "alive" the image was looking, as if it had been filmed right now. A very great experience!

So, I was just wondering. If they can do this with the song's videos, would be possible do this with "Live from London" and "The Crush Tour" videos too? I mean, it would be truly amazing seeing those videos with so much details and quality.

I wanted to consider that they can do this with a lot of shows that are in their vault, but we know it's a very far far dream.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

I swear there's the odd different shot here and there in that vid. It miles better than any of the other remasters and looks incredible
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 02-27-2020, 10:05 PM
Price of posting

I guess it all depends on how it was recorded. If it was filmed with cinema cameras, you can scan the negative at 4k or even 8k and get a better transfer. Living on a Prayer Video 4k is the example.

But if they recorded with professional TV cameras from that time, they could not do it. There are programs with AI that can very well remaster images recorded with TV cameras to convert it in 1080p and 4k, but I don't think it works in 4k. At least not with those results.

Recently they remastered some Bon Jovi videos for youtube, like Its My Life in hd 1080p, well, they actually used an AI program and upscaling. The result is not as good as Living on a Prayer.

The good thing about the whole thing is that most videos (80s and maybe 90s) were filmed with cinema cameras. Live from London for example was filmed with 16mm cameras. So they could make a transfer in 4k. An evening with Bon Jovi is filmed with TV cameras, therefore I don't think it can be done, although it could be remastered with AI for a 1080p transfer... using AI programs.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 03-02-2020 at 11:51 PM..
Old 02-28-2020, 03:13 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Send a message via MSN to jon-flp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
I guess it all depends on how it was recorded. If it was filmed with cinema cameras, you can scan the negative at 4k or even 8k and get a better transfer. Living on a Prayer Video 4k is the example.

But if they recorded with professional TV cameras from that time, they could not do it. There are programs with AI that can very well remaster images recorded with TV cameras to convert it in 1080p and 4k, but I don't think it works in 4k. At least not with those results.

Recently they remastered some Bon Jovi videos for youtube, like Its My Life in hd 1080p, well, they actually used an AI program and upscaling. The result is not as good as Living on a Prayer.

The good thing about the whole thing is that most videos (80s and maybe 90s) were filmed with cinema cameras. Live from London for example was filmed with 16mm cameras. So they could make a transfer in 4k. An evening with Bon Jovi is filmed with TV cameras, therefore I don't think it can be done, although it could be remastered with AI for a 1080p transfer... using AI programs.
Wow! Thanks a lot Rolo!

I saw that the It's my Life video was in 1080p and it's good, but nowhere near the LOAP.

You gave me hope for Live from London...Imagine a release with the full setlist and in 4K....
Old 02-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-flp View Post
Wow! Thanks a lot Rolo!

I saw that the It's my Life video was in 1080p and it's good, but nowhere near the LOAP.

You gave me hope for Live from London...Imagine a release with the full setlist and in 4K....
As far as I know, Bon Jovi doesn't own the material, so we'd have to rely on either the BBC or ABC (can't remember which company sent the film crew) to have kept the raw masters.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:52 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Livin' On A Prayer in 4K? this on youtube?
Old 02-29-2020, 12:30 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuli View Post
Livin' On A Prayer in 4K? this on youtube?
Old 03-01-2020, 10:48 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

I watched "Livin' on a Prayer" in 4K and and looked great, even when watching on my phone! Before the 2nd chorus as it changed to colour, that's when the image really popped.

"It's My Life" looked decent but unlike "LoaP", it did look upscaled and was cropped to 16:9. There are some 4:3 section during the original video and the aspect ratio changes here and there, but considering most of the shots are in widescreen it's no big deal.

Can't wait to see more videos reuploaded in 4K, but unfortunately prettymuch anything from "It's My Life" onwards will be upscales and I presume they were originally shot digitally and therefore locked at 480p/1080p.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:42 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 1986 View Post
I watched "Livin' on a Prayer" in 4K and and looked great, even when watching on my phone! Before the 2nd chorus as it changed to colour, that's when the image really popped.

"It's My Life" looked decent but unlike "LoaP", it did look upscaled and was cropped to 16:9. There are some 4:3 section during the original video and the aspect ratio changes here and there, but considering most of the shots are in widescreen it's no big deal.

Can't wait to see more videos reuploaded in 4K, but unfortunately prettymuch anything from "It's My Life" onwards will be upscales and I presume they were originally shot digitally and therefore locked at 480p/1080p.
True. they zoomed. And sometimes the remedy is worse than the disease.

I don't know if Its My life was shot with cinema cameras, if someone has photos of the recording, maybe I could see the type of cameras they used. If they recorded with CINEALTA digital cameras, they could launch the video in 4k. Even in 8k, as long as the director took that option.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:53 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

Quote:
True. they zoomed. And sometimes the remedy is worse than the disease.
Sometimes that's true and as a purist I'm usually dead against things like this but like I say, only a small percentage of that video is in 4:3 it's not much of an issue. Plus if they maintained the aspect ratio for the entire video, most of it would be windowboxed for the sake of those few frames.

This almost makes me want a Blu Ray release (which 10-15 years ago would have been a day-1 purchase for me) but that won't happen now because of YouTube and I can't remember the last time I watched a music videos DVD.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.

Last edited by Dave 1986; 05-16-2020 at 10:32 PM..

Tags
high definition, music videos