Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Songs that you have totally changed your mind about

General BJ Discussion

Old 02-06-2024, 05:19 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via AIM to Adam D
Default Songs that you have totally changed your mind about

What are some songs that you have totally changed your mind about? Either going from loving it to not, or from not liking it at first to becoming one of your favorites?

Three songs that I loved right away that I no longer really like at all are Work For The Working Man, Novocaine and Learn To Love.

A few that I've grown to appreciate over time are I Got The Girl, Seat Next To You and Woman In Love.
Slippery When Wet
The Circle
Crush
Have A Nice Day
Lost Highway
What About Now
Bounce
7800 Fahrenheit
Bon Jovi

"Each song played was just another example of how ingenious these guys are at writing choruses that make you feel like there’s a big game tomorrow, that you’re the underdog, and that you’re going to win."

Last edited by Adam D; 02-06-2024 at 05:25 AM..

Old 02-06-2024, 06:49 AM
Breakout

Disliked/didn't care about before but really like them now:
Little Bit Of Soul
Undivided
I'm With You

Really liked before but don't care about them now:
Diamond Ring
Next 100 Years
When We Were Beautiful
Old 02-06-2024, 12:38 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

In my early days as a fan I didn’t like If I Was Your Mother because the lyrics weirded me out so much. Eventually it clicked though and now the weird lyrics are even part of why I think that song is so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2024, 12:46 PM
Something for the Posts

Save A Prayer comes to mind for me. I didn't really think much of it at the time, amazingly! I think it was just too different. But I absolutely love it now!

There's a few that I used to love, but can't bear now. Something For The Pain for instance. I think it's the worst track on These Days by far now.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:58 PM
Price of posting

I never liked "Save the World" and "She's a Mystery." I always thought it would have been cool if they were replaced by "Neurotica" and "I Could Make a Living Out of Lovin' You" or "Gimme Some."

But over time, I have learned to appreciate the atmosphere of these songs and that vocal feeling that Jon pours into those two tracks.

Even so, I still think that Neurotica and the other songs that were left out would have made a more consistent album for me.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:00 PM
Jovi Addict

I used to love "Welcome to Wherever You Are", but nowadays I simply don't care much listening to it.

And just by this year I started enjoying "She's A Mystery". I never had enough patience to listen this song (too slow, I guess?), then I stumbled on it several days ago and my mind changed. I'm really enjoyng it's vibe.
Old 02-06-2024, 06:00 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Great thread!

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always thought very highly of I’ll Be There For You, yet it previously never even made my all time BJ top 20. But during the last few years I’ve finally realized it’s full power. It took decades for me to really appreciate it. Now I think it’s their greatest song ever.

Such a great, awesome Bon Jovi song. Bigger than Always or Wanted or Prayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2024, 08:03 PM
Livin' on a Post

Save a prayer : was not sounding interesting at start but really like it now.

Save the world and Real Life : found them too pop/soft at when released, enjoy listening to them now.

King of the mountain was among my favourite song when I was a teenager. But it sounds boring now.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:24 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

99 in the shade: It was the most forgettable track from New Jersey to me, but now I think of it as a great sing to play in the beach.

I want you: I thought of it as the forgotten ballad that was unfairly brushed off. Now it’s only meh.

Joey: Back in the day I really didn’t like it, I thought it was boring. When I played Bounce and The Distance was about to end I usually skipped all the way to Hook me up. Now, even if it’s not among my favorites, I enjoy it.

Story of my life: It took a while to grow on me (-5 years) , but now I think it’s the best one in the second half of HAND (not considering DLS).

Whole lot of leaving: First it was too much country for me. After listening the MSG 2008 version, I fell in love with it.

Bullet: I liked that it was the rockier song of The Circle, but later it came to me as a bad ripoff of their Bounce-era sound.

Do what you can: When Jon presented it in acoustic, in my mind it sounded like a great power ballad. The final version was… disappointing to say the least.
New Jersey / These Days / Keep The Faith / Slippery when Wet / Have a Nice Day / Aftermath of the Lowdown / Crush / Bounce / 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit / What About Now / Undiscovered Soul / The Circle / Lost Highway / Young Guns / Stranger in This Town / Destination Anywhere / Bon Jovi
Old 02-11-2024, 12:55 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

In terms of albums I enjoy these more now than when I first heard them:
-These Days: I was too young and this album it did nothing for me when I first listened to it at the age of 8 or so. It clicked in my teens and I'll love it until I die.
-What About Now: I didn't like Because We Can at first but it has grown on me over the years, it's really catchy. Other than that there's still some duds but I appreciate it a more now, thanks in part to it gaining the status as Richie's last album.
-Blaze of Glory: After a decade of vocal decline, I now have a greater appreciation for how incredible his vocals are throughout this album.

I enjoy these less than when they came out:
-Bounce: I loved this album and tour at the time, but I rarely revisit it and it has somewhat gained the status as the "forgotten" album in their catalog.
-Crush: Say it Isn't So and One Wild Night haven't aged well and Captain Crash got overplayed. It's My Life is still a great song but the fact that they spent the next 20 years trying to recreate it lowers my enjoyment of it. I do enjoy Just Older and Mystery Train more now though.
-Have a Nice Day: Who Says has been overplayed, which has diminished my enjoyment of what was originally my favorite song on the album. The production is really bad which I notice more now too, it's harder to listen to from start to finish even if the songs themselves have aged ok.

My opinion on the other albums hasn't shifted much over the years. Though I would add I'll Sleep When I'm Dead to the songs that I enjoy less over the years due to being overplayed.