Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Box Set Revisited

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 06:16 AM
The Distance

Default Box Set (100 Million Fans Can't Be Wrong)

It's been some time since this has been discussed and I think through time, we've all gained more knowledge about these songs but the information seems scatted over multiple topics so I decided to repost all the songs by their supposed albums...

7800 or prior

We Rule the Night 1985

Slippery When Wet
Edge of a Broken Heart 1986 - Movie Disorderlies
Out of Bounds 1986 - Movie Out of Bounds

Keep The Faith:
The Radio Saved My Life Tonight 1992 - Grey Summer mentioned during Box Set
Taking It Back 1992 - In the Box Set booklet, Jon is quoted with it being demoed for Keep The Faith.
Miss Fourth of July 1992 - Grey Summer mentioned during Box Set
Starting All Over Again 1992 - BSide from a KTF Single
Every Beat of My Heart 1992 - Confirmed on the KTF Hand written Review Sheet
Outlaws Of Love 1992 - Between KTF and NJ... Most likely KTF
Sympathy 1992 - Confirmed during the Box Set DVD
Love Ain't Nothing But a Four Letter Word 1992 - Confirmed - Box Set DVD - Jon Influenced by being on the road with SSJ
Billy 1992 - Confirmed on the KTF Hand written Review Sheet

Open All Night (Pre-These Days)
Gotta Have a Reason 1993 - Movie The Three Musketeers
Good Guys Don't Always Wear White 1994 - Movie Cowboy Way
Letter to a Friend 1994 - Jon mentioned in an interview with Kerrang in 1994 on the set of the Good Guys video shoot.
Nobody's Hero 1994 - Jon mentioned in an interview with Kerrang in 1994 on the set of the Good Guys video shoot.
Flesh and Bone 1994 - actually recorded in 1994 but it was left off*These Days. Jon*explained why*in 2004
Open All Night 1994 - Working Title before These Days
I Just Want To Be Your Man 1994
The Fire Inside - Confirmed during the Box Set DVD for KTF - Obie's list 1994
Why Aren't You Dead? - Confirmed during the Box Set DVD for KTF - Obie's list 1994

These Days
Lonely at the Top 1995 B-Side & Interview

Destination Anywhere:
I Get a Rush - 1996 Eric Bazilian
River Runs Dry
Someday Just Might Be Tonight - 1996
Shut Up and Kiss Me 1997 -Eric Bazilian Recorded in New Jersey with the Big Dogs
All I Wanna Do Is You 1997

Sex Sells:
These Arms Are Open All Night - 1998 Eric Bazilian - recorded with the Big Dogs (Jon said Crush in the DVD)
Last Chance Train - 1998 Cowriter / Producer - Joe Perry on guitar.
Rich Man Living in a Poor Man's House 1998 - Listening Party
Crazy Love - 1998 Confirmed

Crush:
Garageland 1999 - Box Set DVD Crush
Maybe Someday 1999 - with Richie
You Can Sleep While I Dream 1999 - with Richie (Dean Grakal & Mark Hudson co wrote who also co wrote Two Story Town)
Satellite 1999 - with Richie
Too Much of a Good Thing 1999 - with Richie
Kidnap an Angel 1999 - Eric Bazilian
Temptation 2000 - Demo
Ordinary People 2000 - Jon says on the DVD that he had a version written in 1995 and then him, Richie and Dave rewrote it later on.

Real Life 1999 - Movie Ed TV
The One That Got Away 1999 - Movie Message In A Bottle

Bounce:
Breathe - Demo (Recorded in 2001 / 2002)

TLFR:
Thief of Hearts 2003 - TLFR
Last Man Standing 2003 - TLFR

DISC ONE:
1) WHY AREN'T YOU DEAD? (Unreleased demo circa 1994.) Recorded in NJ.
2) THE RADIO SAVED MY LIFE TONIGHT (Unreleased demo circa 1992.) Recorded in Vancouver and New Jersey. Vocals were, indeed, done while JBJ had a head cold.
3) TAKING IT BACK (Unreleased demo circa 1992.) Recorded in New Jersey.
4) SOMEDAY I'LL BE SATURDAY NIGHT (Unreleased demo of song that continued to be worked on until the version most are familiar with appeared on the 1994 Cross Road album.) Written in the islands, this was recorded in New Jersey in 1994.
5) MISS FOURTH OF JULY (Unreleased demo circa 1992.) Recorded up in Vancouver and back in New Jersey.
6) OPEN ALL NIGHT (Unreleased demo circa 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.
7) THESE ARMS ARE OPEN ALL NIGHT (Unreleased demo circa 1998 recorded with the Big Dogs in New Jersey.)
I GET A RUSH (Unreleased demo circa 1996.) Recorded in New Jersey.
9) SOMEDAY JUST MIGHT BE TONIGHT (Unreleased demo circa 1996.) Recorded in New Jersey.
10) THIEF OF HEARTS (Final Studio Track from 2003.) Recorded at Sanctuary Sound II in New Jersey for intended inclusion in This Left Feels Right cd.
11) LAST MAN STANDING (Final Studio Track from 2003.) Recorded at Sanctuary Sound II in New Jersey for inteded inclusion in This Left Feels Right cd. (Band has recorded a much different version of this song for planned inclusion in forthcoming studio album.)
12) I JUST WANT TO BE YOUR MAN (Unreleased demo from 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.

DISC TWO:
1) GARAGELAND (Unreleased demo from 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
2) STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN (Remixed for the box set; original demo released as a b-side from the 1992 Keep The Faith album.) Recorded in Vancouver and New Jersey.
3) MAYBE SOMEDAY (Unreleased demo from 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
4) LAST CAHNCE TRAIN (Unreleased demo from circa 1998.) Recorded in Los Angeles with Aerosmith's Joe Perry on guitar.
5) THE FIRE INSIDE (Unreleased demo circa 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.
6) EVERY BEAT OF MY HEART (Unreleased demo circa 1992.) Recorded in New Jersey.
7) RICH MAN LIVING IN A POOR MAN'S HOUSE (Unreleased demo from 1998.) Recorded in New Jersey and Los Angeles with Dave Stewart.
THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY (Unreleased demo from 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
9) YOU CAN SLEEP WHILE I DREAM (Unreleased demo circa 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
10) OUTLAWS OF LOVE (Unreleased demo from 1992.) Recorded in New Jersey.
11) GOOD GUYS DON'T ALWAYS WEAR WHITE (movie soundtrack song from 'The Cowboy Way' in 1994.) Recorded in Los Angeles; video shot in NYC.
12) WE RULE THE NIGHT (Unreleased demo from 1985.) Recorded in New Jersey and Philly.

DISC THREE:
1) EDGE OF A BROKEN HEART (the sorely-missed Slippery When Wet song not included on the 1986 breakthru album.) Recorded up in Vancouver.
2) SYMPATHY (Unreleased demo from 1992.) Recorded in New Jersey.
3) ONLY IN MY DREAMS (Unreleased demo from 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey. A version with Jon on vocals was captured but the one with Tico's vocals was included on the box set.
4) SHUT UP AND KISS ME (Unreleased demo from 1997.) Recorded in New Jersey with the Big Dogs.
5) CRAZY LOVE (Unreleased demo from 1998.) Recorded in Los Angeles and New Jersey.
6) LONELY AT THE TOP (Previously released b-side from the 1995 These Days project.) Recorded in New Jersey however, remixed for inclusion in the box set and cello parts were added by Garo Yellin for a more meloncholy feel.
7) ORDINARY PEOPLE (Previously released b-side from 2000's CRUSH album.) Recorded in New Jersey.
FLESH AND BONE (Unreleased demo from 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.
9) SATELLITE (Unreleased demo from 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
10) IF I CAN'T HAVE YOUR LOVE (Richie solo demo circa 1991.) Recorded in Vancouver featuring David Bryan on keyboards.
11) REAL LIFE (Movie soundtrack from 1999's EDTV.) Recorded in New York City (at Avatar Studios, which had originally been the Power Station where Jon Bon Jovi had started his music career as a gofer) and New Jersey. It was remixed for inclusion in the box set.
12) MEMPHIS LIVES IN ME (Original composition for the musical 'MEMPHIS' co-written by David Bryan, written in 2003.) This studio recording was done in New Jersey specifically for inclusion in the box set.
13) TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING
(Unreleased demo from 1999 prior to CRUSH album.) Recorded in New Jersey.

DISC FOUR:
1) LOVE AIN'T NOTHING BUT A FOUR LETTER WORD (Unreleased studio recording from 1992.) This was recorded up in Vancouver and New Jersey, and is much more fleshed out than the original demo version.
2) LOVE AIN'T NOTHING BUT A FOUR LETTER WORD (Original demo from 1992.) This is the first version fo the song as written by Jon Bon Jovi and recorded in New Jersey, prior to taking it further and fleshing it out.
3) RIVER RUNS DRY (Unreleased demo from 1996.) Recorded in New Jersey.
4) ALWAYS (Original demo from 1994.) Recorded in the UK.
5) KIDNAP AN ANGEL (Unreleased demo from 1999.) Recorded in New Jersey.
6) BREATHE (B-Side internationally and Target CD.)- released in 2003; written and recorded 2001/2002 in New Jersey.
7) OUT OF BOUNDS (Unreleased demo from 1986.) Recorded in New Jersey.
LETTER TO A FRIEND (Unreleased demo from 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.
9) TEMPTATION (Int'l b-side from CRUSH album in 2000.) Recorded in New Jersey.
10) GOTTA HAVE A REASON (Unreleased demo written on spec for a movie sountrack in 1993.) Recorded in New Jersey and Singapore (as documented in the video footage on the box set dvd.)
11) ALL I WANNA DO IS YOU (Unreleased demo from 1997.) Recorded in New Jersey.
12) BILLY (unreleased demo from 1992.) Recorded in New Jersey.
13) NOBODY'S HERO (Unreleased demo from 1994.) Recorded in New Jersey.
14) *Hidden Bonus Track: LIVIN' ON A PRAYER (Original demo of Livin' On A Prayer from 1986... definitely written and recorded in New Jersey!)

Last edited by Rdkopper; 08-21-2018 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 06:22 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Hmmm were people saying Billy is from that era because of Billy The Kid? I guess I never made that connection. With lyrics like

"Billy, Billy
Ain't love hard to explain?
For a debutante you're a real hard woman
But I love you just the same"

the rationale would have to be a name like Billy is fresh in Jon's head I guess? The list looks dead on though. The band says Ordinary People was These Days but that's wrong wrong wrong. Written during that era perhaps but the version(s) we have are late 90's all the way.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:41 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Hmmm were people saying Billy is from that era because of Billy The Kid? I guess I never made that connection. With lyrics like

"Billy, Billy
Ain't love hard to explain?
For a debutante you're a real hard woman
But I love you just the same"

the rationale would have to be a name like Billy is fresh in Jon's head I guess? The list looks dead on though. The band says Ordinary People was These Days but that's wrong wrong wrong. Written during that era perhaps but the version(s) we have are late 90's all the way.
I think Jon said it on that Box Set interview????

Agree with Ordinary People
Old 07-02-2017, 01:30 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Letter to a Friend
Nobody's Hero
Confirmed - Jon mentioned both these titles (and Only In My Dreams (which Tico was "possibly going to sing") in an interview with Kerrang in 1994 on the set of the Good Guys video shoot.

Quote:
Sex Sells - Crush:
Kidnap an Angel
Confirmed, although it could be a DA solo track. I tried to buy a very rare promo CD of Jons from ebay circa 2000 which had 5 tracks on it, four from Destination Anywhere and Kidnap An Angel which I had never heard of at that point. Obie confirmed the songs' existance when he was active on the Q&A section of the Jovi website circa 2002.

Last edited by Nige; 07-02-2017 at 05:52 PM..
Old 07-02-2017, 01:32 AM
Posting Always

Quote:
Faith:
Miss Fourth of July
The Radio Saved My Life Tonight
Jon specifically mentioned these being from his grey summer in 1991 so it's a fair assumption they are KTF tracks.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:33 AM
Posting Always

Quote:
I think Jon said it on that Box Set interview????

Agree with Ordinary People
Doesn't make any sense it being about Billy The Kid.

I concur re: Ordinary People. Maybe the song itself it from that ere but no way the released version is.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:13 AM
The Distance

Great Nige! I'll make the updates
Old 07-02-2017, 06:33 AM
The Distance

Watching The Making of the Box Set DVD:

- Jon said that The Fire Inside was for KTF - and he could see the Young Gun Influence so I'm going with that

- Garageland - Crush

- 4 Letter Word - Influenced from being on the road with SSJ

- The One That Got Away - Might be older - They don't remember the album so it probably wouldn't be Crush - Richie also say's it's up there with 4th of July

- Outlaws Of Love - Is the biggest debate around here... I think it's totally 80's and multiple times throughout the DVD Jon lumps it in with We Rule The Night saying it had dust upon dust on it... and he doesn't even remember it... I'm going with 80's in my own collection...

- Satellite - Richie said this is from that studio that was falling apart... Where was that?

- Symphony - Outtake KTF

- Why aren't you dead - Jon confirmed Crush but vocally, I don't agree

- Taking In Back - They don't remember what year

Last edited by Rdkopper; 07-02-2017 at 07:15 AM..
Old 07-02-2017, 06:56 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Doesn't make any sense it being about Billy The Kid.

I concur re: Ordinary People. Maybe the song itself it from that ere but no way the released version is.
Jon says on the DVD that he had a version written in 1995 and the him, Richie and Dave rewrote it later on... So there you go...
Old 07-02-2017, 01:16 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
- Garageland - Crush
I agree with that one. To me the first lines have always been about Bruce Fairbairn who was meant to produce Crush. I don't know if it's true but I always see this reference.

Quote:
- The One That Got Away - Might be older - They don't remember the album so it probably wouldn't be Crush - Richie also say's it's up there with 4th of July
Box Set Booklet: Written for the movie Message In A Bottle with Kevin Costner --> 1998/99

Quote:
- Why aren't you dead - Jon confirmed Crush but vocally, I don't agree
In the Box Set booklet Jon says it's a demo for Keep The Faith but it didn't make it because it didn't fit the core of what the album was meant to be.

Quote:
- Taking In Back - They don't remember what year
In the Box Set booklet Jon is again quoted with it being demoed for Keep The Faith.

Tags
2004 box set, box set