Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

1984-2004, 2005-2016 Two different eras

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 01-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Walrus View Post
I think that Crush makes sense more as a follow up to Destination Anywhere & Undiscovered Soul than These Days, both of them went in a bit more poppy direction which they obviously extended for the next band album

Very true, and I don't think I'd heard those two albums at that point. I was still familiarising myself with the band albums. Which probably explains why Crush sounded quite jarring following on from These Days.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 1986 View Post
Very true, and I don't think I'd heard those two albums at that point. I was still familiarising myself with the band albums. Which probably explains why Crush sounded quite jarring following on from These Days.
Plus Real Life sort of bridged the gap a little and gave a sneak peak of the sort of sound to come, as the song is definitely closer to Crush than a These Days sound
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 01-02-2017, 02:38 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

Again, I probably hadn't heard "Real Life" at that point either! It all makes sense now of course. Plus there are quite a few songs from the box set that were recorded during the late 90's which help blur the lines a bit.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Livin' on a Post

I would say that Crush is the middle point - can't be placed neither with TD nor with post-Bounce era. (Bounce itself is a special case - rather disjoint from the rest).

Crush although with very blatant poppish intentions, still retains an organic sound. I am sure they made bad choices about which songs to build upon and put in the album. And they tried to sound as happy/shiny as possible. But there was still a great "band" sound then, like they were really playin music - I mean a sense of spontaneity in their playing, and each song sounding differently. Also with the b sides and demos from that era, you can see they had many interesting ideas.

After Bounce, everything seemed much more calculated. Even if there were some good songs. The liveliness was gone. Maybe LH has some songs with a bit more - - spirit - I mean in the way they are performed-produced. I dont know.

Last edited by jazzsta; 01-03-2017 at 01:27 PM..
Old 01-03-2017, 05:21 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzsta View Post
I would say that Crush is the middle point - can't be placed neither with TD nor with post-Bounce era. (Bounce itself is a special case - rather disjoint from the rest).

Crush although with very blatant poppish intentions, still retains an organic sound. I am sure they made bad choices about which songs to build upon and put in the album. And they tried to sound as happy/shiny as possible. But there was still a great "band" sound then, like they were really playin music - I mean a sense of spontaneity in their playing, and each song sounding differently. Also with the b sides and demos from that era, you can see they had many interesting ideas.

After Bounce, everything seemed much more calculated. Even if there were some good songs. The liveliness was gone. Maybe LH has some songs with a bit more - - spirit - I mean in the way they are performed-produced. I dont know.
Agreed with that. Bounce was the last, documented at least, record that the whole band was there for whole process up until This House...as well. I'm not sure how This left...was recorded.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:05 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via MSN to Gabriel Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce7800 View Post
It was These Days tanking in the US which brought about all that follows. Who knows what could have followed if it had worked out better in 95/96. Absolutely huge over here, absolute peak of their popularity.
I remember that they had a Volkswagen Golf named "Golf Bon Jovi" in These Days era. Dude, that's a Rolling Stones thing. In South America absolutely their peak too and I guess we can count Asia in.

Well done, little buddy.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:15 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Pretty much yes yes yes. Bounce had a more aggressive guitar sound but it wasn't a sound they'd really had prior. Drop D and baritone guitars were never that much part of the sound they used and it's no coincidence how much they had the sound that was big on the radio at the time (Creed especially).
The Drop D tunning is a Goo Goo Dolls influenced move.

Jon mentioned at Bounce release that Goo Goo Dolls influenced him (along with John Mayer and Matchbox Twenty). Having The Goo Goo Dolls as "Special Guests" was not a coincidence.

Funny, Gutterflower is my favorite GGD album but it only got Gold certification (if I'm not wrong, Bounce went Gold as well). I guess the 09/11 events affected the music business a bit, mainly because - if you pay attention - both bands came from huge recent success with Dizzy Up The Girl and Crush.

Well done, little buddy.

Last edited by Gabriel Shoes; 02-03-2017 at 01:49 AM..
Old 02-03-2017, 01:28 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes View Post
I remember that they had a Volkswagen Golf named "Golf Bon Jovi" in These Days era. Dude, that's a Rolling Stones thing. In South America absolutely their peak too and I guess we can count Asia in.
Yeah, but there were also Volkswagen Gold models for Europe, Genesis and Pink Floyd during that era
Old 02-03-2017, 01:51 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Yeah, but there were also Volkswagen Gold models for Europe, Genesis and Pink Floyd during that era
Well, I think it's a huge achievement for an american band have their name on a very popular european car, right?

Well done, little buddy.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:35 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes View Post
The Drop D tunning is a Goo Goo Dolls influenced move.

Jon mentioned at Bounce release that Goo Goo Dolls influenced him (along with John Mayer and Matchbox Twenty). Having The Goo Goo Dolls as "Special Guests" was not a coincidence.

Funny, Gutterflower is my favorite GGD album but it only got Gold certification (if I'm not wrong, Bounce went Gold as well). I guess the 09/11 events affected the music business a bit, mainly because - if you pay attention - both bands came from huge recent success with Dizzy Up The Girl and Crush.
While Goo Goo Dolls use a lot of alternate tunings I wholeheartedly disagree with that. The more pop rock songs with a rootsy twist, absolutely, I could see a GGD sound but songs like The Distance, Love me back to Life, Hook me Up...I mean just put on The Distance and Creed's My Sacrifice back to back. That was clearly the sound they were after.