Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Lip Synch in Livin on a Prayer?

General BJ Discussion

Old 03-05-2017, 10:58 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
Jovi uses backing tracks for quite a few songs live, mostly backing vocals. Knockout, THINFS, Roller Coaster, It's My Life, We Don't Run, Devils In the Temple, Have a Nice Day, Prayer etc. Most songs uses lot of layers with backing vocals in the studio which makes them hard to recreate without backing tracks live.
Yeah, but I was talking about lead vocals. Maybe the term backing track isn't quite right for that, but you know what I mean

Old 03-06-2017, 12:29 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Even as far back as 93 the band had a huge bank of computers providing backing vocals.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:35 AM
These Days

So wait, does the band use tracks for their backing vocals?????????

Could anyone confirm this because that's DEFINITELY NOT obvious to anyone and is TOTALLY the subject of this thread; and DEFINITELY NOT the tracks for Jon's lead vocal parts...
Old 03-06-2017, 01:17 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
So wait, does the band use tracks for their backing vocals?????????

Could anyone confirm this because that's DEFINITELY NOT obvious to anyone and is TOTALLY the subject of this thread; and DEFINITELY NOT the tracks for Jon's lead vocal parts...
There is a mix of both live backing vocals and additional pre-recorded ones.

Last edited by Nige; 03-06-2017 at 01:23 AM..
Old 03-06-2017, 01:30 AM
Born to be my Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovifan93 View Post
Yeah, but I was talking about lead vocals. Maybe the term backing track isn't quite right for that, but you know what I mean
The part before the solo has for the most part have had a backing track; for 1987-2012 it was the one downtuned from the original song itself. For the SWW tour Jon screamed on top of it, then on the two succeeding tours he's wildly inconsistent (sometimes he'd sing, sometimes he'd just lip-sync the way out of it, hence the stink eye in Chile 1990 when the track failed to play).

TD onwards he'd sing the part, then the track was dropped from LH (when he changed the way that part is sung) until BWC. Then during the first night at Macau in 2015 they used a new track to lipsync to (after all, given the state of his voice, it's more believable to listen to a nasal backing track than, say, the original recording. Not to mention the latter is inconsistent with the way he's been singing it for the past 10 years). The Greenville soundboard shows the he still sings on top of it, which is why I'm puzzled at why he still continues to use it.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
It's been inconsistent and depended on the state of Jon's voice. Started around 2002, he stopped around 2007 as his voice got better and was live all the way to 2015; even in 2013 H2 as he sounded attrocious he still kept trying to do it live, to his credit I guess. And if I remember correct, that very first 2015 show he also tried, but obviously failed miserably and so for the second show the crew started playing that 2013 Metlife recording.

Nowadays, he sings on top of the playback, but the playback part gets removed from those official soundboard recordings.

And yes, it's been discussed to death, I'm baffled how people still question this at this stage, or even worse, try to make the case that Jon is "in fact singing live"

yeah...
I can tell you with 100% certainty that NOTHING is removed from the "official recordings". I know the people who do the post on them and they do nothing but track them, tag them and send them out to be downloaded.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:32 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunisher View Post
I can tell you with 100% certainty that NOTHING is removed from the "official recordings". I know the people who do the post on them and they do nothing but track them, tag them and send them out to be downloaded.
You know Obie? Or who does the post on those? They do a good job BTW, the band sounds real good on it. Jon so and so, mainly, because the vocal levels are varying way too much. And are too dry. Maybe add a little compression and reverb on them?

But back to the topic: maybe nothing is *removed*, but then the backing track isn't *added* like in the live show. We have audience and sound board versions of Prayer from one of the earlier shows and you can tell the difference on the line just before the solo. Other parts for example have been pitch-corrected (Saturday Night from one of the shows comes to mind). Just check it out and compare for yourself...
Old 03-06-2017, 07:03 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovifan93 View Post
You know Obie? Or who does the post on those? They do a good job BTW, the band sounds real good on it. Jon so and so, mainly, because the vocal levels are varying way too much. And are too dry. Maybe add a little compression and reverb on them?

But back to the topic: maybe nothing is *removed*, but then the backing track isn't *added* like in the live show. We have audience and sound board versions of Prayer from one of the earlier shows and you can tell the difference on the line just before the solo. Other parts for example have been pitch-corrected (Saturday Night from one of the shows comes to mind). Just check it out and compare for yourself...
I'm afraid you just told him that Santa doesn't exist...
Old 03-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Dry County

Quote:
I'm afraid you just told him that Santa doesn't exist...
Whaaaaat??? Santa doesn't exist???
Old 03-18-2017, 11:12 PM
Livin' on a Post

OK! Now I got it!

I didnt really hear properly on Sacramento CA Feb 28 2017 that the final vocal note before solo was indeed still playing when Jon closes his mouth.

This video shows it clearer:

It happens from 3:10 on and @ 3:16 we can see Jon's mistake. Being the professional he is, singing this song with playback some 30 years I guess he really should know how long to keep his mouth open....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwehehehe View Post
(sometimes he'd sing, sometimes he'd just lip-sync the way out of it, hence the stink eye in Chile 1990 when the track failed to play).
Thanks for this awesome tidbit, really didnt know!

Last edited by rokuli; 03-18-2017 at 11:26 PM..