Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Jon admitting he wrote 18&Life by Skid Row

General BJ Discussion

Old 11-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Next 100 Posts

Send a message via MSN to _SeBasTiAn_BaCh-

Ok, I know a little bit of Skid Row, let me try to clarify some things...

-Jon didn't write any song for the Skids, but he indeed helped them to get a deal with Atlantic Records at the time. Doc Mccgee was the manager for both bands also.
On the video you posted, Jon says that Rachel and Snake presented the song to him on that apartment... nothing else!!
For me this is far way from admiting he wrote the song, sorry!

-It is also true that Bon Jovi earned some royalties on the Skid debut album, NOT for the songwriting, but because of the record deal they arranged with Atlantic Records. Snake said that himself on some interviews.
Fair enough, since Bon Jovi helped Skid Row a lot by letting the band open up for them during the New Jersey tour.

- As for the songwriting, all the credits are for Snake/Rachel. PERIOD.

Another curious fact regarding both bands, this is retrieved from a Snake interview:

During the New Jersey tour, Bon Jovi often threw eggs and tomatoes on Skid Row while they were performing... the bands had a lot of fun together. They joined the stage several times also.
However, during one concert, Sebastian Bach introduced the song Piece of Me saying "If Jon Bon Jovi is man enough, why dont he come up here and take a piece of me"... he always said things like that while introducing the song.
It was a joke but Jon didnt like it at all. When Baz was walking down the backstage after the gig, Jon was furious waiting for him, and threw a nice uppercut on Baz... It took around 6 security guys to end up the brawl. They never spoke o each other since then...
Snake supported Baz on this, Jon attitude was ridiculous, Baz was only joking...

Scotti / Bolan / Baz / Rob / Snake - Maybe someday...

Last edited by _SeBasTiAn_BaCh-; 11-12-2010 at 12:49 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfan View Post
You're right.

I wrote it.
Hi Rachel. Nice to see that we have a rock musician posting in Jovitalk. I wish Richie or Jon would do the same.

Question for you, how does it feel to be in a well known all-male rock band, with a very feminine name?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion View Post
Yeah, imagine Bruce doing a cheesy song with lame lyrics like In & Out of Love or Bad Medicine

Best regards,
the Sexx
I never said Bon Jovi haven't had their share of cheesy songs. That's not news to anyone here. But you're comparing them with other 80's hair bands, who went beyond cheese. There's a reason no one gives a crap about Firehouse anymore.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfan View Post
I never said Bon Jovi haven't had their share of cheesy songs. That's not news to anyone here. But you're comparing them with other 80's hair bands, who went beyond cheese. There's a reason no one gives a crap about Firehouse anymore.
Jon, Richie and Desmond wrote catchier songs, that's the difference.

FireHouse was just a low-quality Bon Jovi. Plus not having a "cute" frontman and making it big just in 1991, didn't help too.

Best regards,
the Sexx
Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _SeBasTiAn_BaCh- View Post
- As for the songwriting, all the credits are for Snake/Rachel. PERIOD.
Yeah, but Moonlight Mile by The Stones is Jagger/Richards even though Mick Taylor wrote a lot of it. I know nothing about Skid Row, but credits can often be misleading.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion View Post
Jon, Richie and Desmond wrote catchier songs, that's the difference.

FireHouse was just a low-quality Bon Jovi. Plus not having a "cute" frontman and making it big just in 1991, didn't help too.

Best regards,
the Sexx
I actually found them quite handsome.....
Old 11-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
Yeah, but Moonlight Mile by The Stones is Jagger/Richards even though Mick Taylor wrote a lot of it. I know nothing about Skid Row, but credits can often be misleading.
true but then the 'smaller names' are forgotten not the opposite ..I cannot see JBJ forgetting (or letting SR forget) he wrote it and giving up on the credits .. tsssk tsssk not his style

tons of song credits are misleading but it's always to advantage the same people ..the BIG PEOPLE (then non pro song writer are *oppps* out of the picture ... )well it's another story but of the same vein .. when I was at university many many years ago the big teachers used to ask their students to translate novels from japanese to french to improve our skills and a few months later it was common to see published a translation of some famous books we were asked to work on ...what a coincidence ... of course no students were paid for that ... I am sure it is the same with song writting but NEVER a big name like JBJ would be unmentionned by mistake )

... if he wrote those song he would have get the money and the 'fame' and the credits too
Old 11-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Jovi Freak

I was reading this silly, pointless thread and all I kept thinking was 'who cares about Skid Row?'
Old 11-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSROCKS View Post
I was reading this silly, pointless thread and all I kept thinking was 'who cares about Skid Row?'
I do I do.....
Old 11-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Dry County

Send a message via MSN to LeaJovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSROCKS View Post
I do too and so should you..

Great band that had a lot to do with the kind of music BJ used to play.. and you have Bach, one hell of a singer

Tags
sebastian bach, skid row