Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Jon and the Buffalo Bills

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-04-2014, 12:24 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

No, it gives him a steady financial income when he's not touring/recording and doing whatever he was good at. Seriously, when has Jon ever had any integrity? If it makes money, Jon's willing to do it.
I remember a lecturer who used to work for universal saying 'if Jon Bon Jovi took a shit in a bucket someone would buy it' at which point the entire class looked at me. Which I resent. Why would I want a bucket?

Milton Keynes 1 (HAND), Manchester & Bristol (LH), Dublin 2 (2011), Dublin 2 (THINFS)

Old 08-04-2014, 03:15 AM
Jovi Addict

The Bills and the Giants play tonight in a pre-season game honoring the 2014 Hall of Fame. Any bets on if they'll mention Jon or not? Supposedly, Bills fans are to wear anti JBJ shirts. I'm a football fan but this whole thing is so juvenile and silly to me. If I wanted Jon and his group to stay in my city, then maybe it would be better to not piss them off.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
arrg fair enough. I got over it very quickly - just proves I don't really care. And come on - what is the famous quote from Jon: "When my peers waned to be on the cover of Circus or Kerrang! I wanted to be on the cover of TIME". One step closer. Again - kudos to him. He is so rich and famous and respected outside the music industry, why try harder to prove something musically. There's nothing to prove. He's done and dusted. He was the greatest frontman in the world for about 2 years at the end of the 80s and maybe for another year in the middle of the 90s. No one can ever touch that. He can't touch it himself. And I'd rather he stopped all together with the music than having to listen to his embarrassing little pub band gigs he does with the KOS. Music is not his priority any more and I totally respect it (and against what I said before, it does NOT make me sick). However, what does make me feel uneasy is the fact that we were sold an album and a tour as part of a creative and expressive artistic process - when it was just a big 'cash-in' exercise. Jon must think 'Look at those ****ers! They fell for it!'. Again, I say this with all sympathy.
Well, as someone who knows him told me, I don't think he will ever be done with music. But the last tour was primarily about making money and responsibilities. I had fun at the concerts with some good moments but there was nothing new and creative there. Just empty words. That is what business people do + selling himself for fan club events with foto opts. And there are still plenty of women who fall for it and some dudes romanticising the concerts. And Jon knows that. He even got grumpy about that 'magic'-aspect in an interview. Well, he doesn't have to. It is no longer there so no worries.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
I mean, just look at the Arab buying Man City. Pumped lots of money in the team and it's suddenly one of the better/best teams in the U.K. A better team will lead to more sponsors, will lead to more money will mean his business will do better. I very much doubt Jon's making any financial decisions himself but he'll love to brag about owning a team and go around saying he's the quarterback of the whole thing.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
But City is still a LONG LONG LONG way from being a sustainable business, and those investments that Sheikh Mansour has made will take years to break-even [if ever]. Incidentally, the CEO of City - Ferran Soriano, was a founder of the small consulting company I used to work for, hence we used to have quite a bit of work from them. The reason they are expanding into the US and Australia is to gain some efficiency but even so, not wanting (or being allowed to) go into much details, I can't personally see how City will ever become a profitable business.

Again - I am not saying a football club can't be a profitable business (Bayern Munich anyone ) and surely American football is again completely different given the completely steady flow of cash (no relegation) and only minimal exposure to risk. Just that City may have been a bad example.

Having said that, you are completely right with the second part of the post. The bragging rights of being the owner of a football team - are you kiddin' me?!? Surely those are worth a couple of (hundred?) millions!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Price of posting

Old 08-04-2014, 05:11 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
Dafuq did I just watch? :d

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 08-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Aloha !

Dafuq did I just watch? :d

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Asked myself the same thing
Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Posting Always

So let me get this right. JBJ wants to buy the Bufallo Bills - said he wants to make them successful IN BUFALLO. Rumors are that he is going to move the franchise to Canada. He has squashed those rumours, but still the silly Americans are convinced he is going to take it across the border - as his business partners are from Maple Leaf Entertainment or something like that. Bizarre
Old 08-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoviForever View Post
I really kind understand the mind-set of someone who wants to buy a random football team unless it was one you supported.
How can you call yourself a Giants fan but then go all out to buy another team you have no connections with from the same city.
I know in America it's different to what we're used to in the UK. Football in the UK is not about the 'franchise' (unless your the MK Dons)! The clubs are very much a community thing and you support them for life however shit the teams are. If your a Birmingham fan and you were a billionaire you wouldn't then go and try and buy Aston Villa as you would never be accepted. (Although it's clear Jon won't be accepted but for different reasons).
He also always used to say when he owned the Soul that he would never by an NFL team because they are already well established and he wouldn't be able to have the influence over it.
It's hard to see what exactly his motivations are for this. Is it just a vanity project?
You do realize that Buffalo is 400 miles from New York City right? A seven hour drive?

His dream all along was to own an NFL team and buying the soul was just a beginner course for him. He's not all of a sudden a Buffalo Bills fan that has dropped his favorite team the Giants. The Bills are the only team that's up for sale and probably the cheapest team in the league to buy that will come around in Jon's lifetime, so with this team it will allow him a chance to own a decent size piece of it. For Jon the timing of this couldn't be any better. The band is probably done and he knows this, so now all his time can go to this.

That said, there are several other bids on the table for this team so the odds that Jon and his group will get the team are not great. In the press all we hear about is this one group because the Bon Jovi name is a good target for them to rip apart and always has been. There are several other bidders on the table (from all over the USA) that would have no objection to relocating the team if they find it's not viable in Buffalo but Jon's famous name and his closely located "Toronto group" is an easy target and a good headline.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:07 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolai View Post
So let me get this right. JBJ wants to buy the Bufallo Bills - said he wants to make them successful IN BUFALLO. Rumors are that he is going to move the franchise to Canada. He has squashed those rumours, but still the silly Americans are convinced he is going to take it across the border - as his business partners are from Maple Leaf Entertainment or something like that. Bizarre
No, you've got to learn how to read.

He's saying something to the extent of "I've got every intention to make the Buffalo's big in Buffalo." Which means that he's still able to use whatever excuse he likes if the team's got to move to another place. If he'd have squashed the rumours he'd have said "I ain't moving this team", which he didn't.

That's what it says.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan