Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Jon and the Buffalo Bills

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
He's saying something to the extent of "I've got every intention to make the Buffalo's big in Buffalo."

...(H)e'd have squashed the rumours...(if)...he'd have said "I ain't moving this team..."
He's not even saying "I don't intend to move the team." But the very fact that he's hooked up with someone who already owns a team in Toronto makes his sincerity problematic.

What will most likely happen is that the team will politely sit out their lease (it ends in 2022) while refusing to invest in top talent, demand that the city give them unaffordable tax breaks (if not a new stadium), then cry all the way out of town.

Jon is "only" a multi-millionaire; a minnow in a shark tank full of old-money veteran multi-billionaires who are just using his fame and fortune to get what they want -- a one-way ticket to Toronto. He's playing way out of his league, if you'll pardon the expression.

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 09-07-2023 at 10:37 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

No, you've got to learn how to read.

He's saying something to the extent of "I've got every intention to make the Buffalo's big in Buffalo." Which means that he's still able to use whatever excuse he likes if the team's got to move to another place. If he'd have squashed the rumours he'd have said "I ain't moving this team", which he didn't.

That's what it says.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
You're right that he didn't say that, while he easily could have, but he did say the following, which makes no sense if he had any (short term) intention of moving the team:

"We are committed to working with the State, City, County and business community to identify the best possible site in the Buffalo area for a new stadium and to then develop and implement a plan to finance and build a state-of-the-art NFL stadium for the loyal Bills fans."

Maybe just a missed opportunity to set the record straight, who knows? And more importantly: who cares? Hope he doesn't get the deal and continues making music
Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknation View Post
He's not even saying "I don't intend to move the team." But the very fact that he's hooked up with someone who already owns a team in Toronto makes his sincerity problematic.

What will most likely happen is that the team will politely sit out their lease (it ends in 2020) while refusing to invest in top talent, demand that the city give them unaffordable tax breaks (if not a new stadium), then cry all the way out of town.

Jon is only a multi-millionaire. He is also a rookie in a shark tank full of old-money veteran multi-billionaires who are using his fame and fortune to get what they want: he doesn't realize that he's out of his league, if you'll pardon the expression.

Nah nah nah - you severely underestimate the Jon Bon Bon. First of all, Jon Bon's net worth is surely closer to 1Bn than to 100M. The tours alone grossed over 1 Bn in the last 10 years. Do you think Tico got all the money? Not to mention that in 1992 he was worth a reported $120M. Knowing what a stingy basterd he's been all his life, he should have easily passed the 500 M mark. I bet you, once this deal is through, he will make Forbes billionaires list. Up for it?

Also, the man is 52. He is not a kid by any means. People his age are Presidents - hardly the naive boy that is used by the evil bankers.

Another point - he hasn't JUST jumped into this. He has first bought an AFL team, learned it the hard way. Now, as JonGirl mentions, this is one if not the only opportunity he'll ever get to own an NFL team. Knowing his ego, I am not sure who is using who!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Breakout

I assumed he wanted it so he could get his son on an NFL team. Family business and all that
Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
Nah nah nah - you severely underestimate the Jon Bon Bon. First of all, Jon Bon's net worth is surely closer to 1Bn than to 100M. The tours alone grossed over 1 Bn in the last 10 years. Do you think Tico got all the money? Not to mention that in 1992 he was worth a reported $120M. Knowing what a stingy basterd he's been all his life, he should have easily passed the 500 M mark. I bet you, once this deal is through, he will make Forbes billionaires list. Up for it?

Also, the man is 52. He is not a kid by any means. People his age are Presidents - hardly the naive boy that is used by the evil bankers.

Another point - he hasn't JUST jumped into this. He has first bought an AFL team, learned it the hard way. Now, as JonGirl mentions, this is one if not the only opportunity he'll ever get to own an NFL team. Knowing his ego, I am not sure who is using who!
What the band makes and what they are worth are on two separate sides of the fence. It's only a fraction.

Jon was never worth 120M in 1992. If you are referring to the Howard Stern interview, watch it carefully. Howard twisted it. They said they made that much as a band and Howard twisted it by saying, how does it feel to have a 120M and Jon just nodded his head.

They pay Promotes, Agents, Staff, Band Members, Overhead, Taxes, etc. I say Jon takes about 15 to 20% of what the tour makes. If the tour makes 100M, Jon takes about 15 to 20M (I'm sure that number has increased throughout the years) and then he pays taxes on top of that.

I don't think they are as rich as you think they are. Esp Dave and Tico.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovifan93 View Post
You're right that he didn't say that, while he easily could have, but he did say the following, which makes no sense if he had any (short term) intention of moving the team:

"We are committed to working with the State, City, County and business community to identify the best possible site in the Buffalo area for a new stadium and to then develop and implement a plan to finance and build a state-of-the-art NFL stadium for the loyal Bills fans."

Maybe just a missed opportunity to set the record straight, who knows? And more importantly: who cares? Hope he doesn't get the deal and continues making music
And this may be a way of saying " we're going where ever the money for a new stadium is available. If it's Buffalo then great, but if you don't want your taxes raised to finance it, then see ya!" And I agree with JonGirl, it's always seemed obvious to me that Jon is being the scapegoat for Bills fans because he's the known face and name. They can't bitch about someone they can't see (like other investors.)
Old 08-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknation View Post
...Jon is only a multi-millionaire...in a shark tank full of old-money veteran multi-billionaires who are using his fame and fortune to get what they want...he's out of his league, if you'll pardon the expression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
...(Y)ou severely underestimate the Jon Bon Bon...(His) net worth is surely closer to $1Bn...Now, as JonGirl mentions, this is one if not the only opportunity he'll ever get to own an NFL team. Knowing his ego, I am not sure who is using who!

They're definitely using him via his ego -- he hasn't got quite enough money. But you don't have to take my word for it:
Quote:
Toronto Sun: ...Bon Jovi is the face of a Toronto-based group intent on obtaining an NFL franchise via relocation, and expected to bid for the Bills.

...The rocker's personal net worth...(averages $400 million), according to Forbes.com...(and the Toronto Sun).

By NFL rules, the controlling-stake threshold for NFL ownership is 30%. So if the Bills price tag winds up in the neighbourhood of $1 billion, the singer presumably would have to sell almost everything he owns to come up that kind of cash. Thus, while Bon Jovi might become the frontman of this Toronto bid group, unless Forbes is mistaken...it's hard to see how he could become controlling owner.

Another important point: no potential NFL owner or ownership group may borrow more than $200 million to complete the sales transaction. So if the price tag winds up at a billion bucks, a bid group has to plunk down $800 million in cash.

Tanenbaum's net worth in November was listed at $1.18 billion...Presumably, he would have the cash to be principal owner...In any event, other deep-pocketed Canadians would need to contribute to the bid group, or perhaps even lead it.

Previous reports said a contributor might be Edward Rogers III...of...Rogers Communications...Canadian Business (magazine) pegs the net worth of the Rogers family at $7.6 billion...
If Tanenbaum and Rogers have convinced Jon that being the "frontman" for the new Buffalo Bills will make up for his having an average of only one eleventh of their equity, it explains HOW they got so rich, LOL!

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 08-07-2014 at 12:46 AM..
Old 08-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Something for the Posts

8/4/14 UPDATE: Jon Bon Jovi's Hopes Of Buying The Buffalo Bills Just Took A Huge Blow
Quote:
...(T)he Buffalo Bills will become the most expensive NFL franchise ever with a final sale price that is nearing $1.5 billion. The bidding is also a big blow to the hopes of Jon Bon Jovi and the city of Toronto of landing an NFL team.

The initial bid by Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula was "in the $1.3 billion range"...One...was by a group led by Bon Jovi and is estimated to be "as high as $1.2 billion" ...The other bid came from Donald Trump...speculated to be in the $700 million to $1.1 billion range. However, Buffalo Business First reported that all three bids were "more than $1 billion."

...In order to be considered the principal owner, Bon Jovi must contribute at least 30% of the sale price in cash. If the group were to increase their bid to $1.4 billion, that means Bon Jovi would have to contribute $420 million of his own money...(A)ccording to the Toronto Sun (and Forbes.com)...Bon Jovi has an (average) net worth of ($350 million). Therefore it would seem unlikely that the group would be able to top their current bid without pushing Bon Jovi to the background...
If all Jon can put up is one third of the franchise fee (AFTER cashing in ALL his assets AND paying off all his debts!) and none of the additional operating capital, he ALWAYS WAS "in the background!"

8/22/14 UPDATE:
Bon Jovi’s bid close to collapsing

Quote:
The clearest objective evidence regarding the coming collapse of the attempt to buy the Bills comes from the cancellation of a Wednesday tour of Ralph Wilson Stadium. It’s part of the due diligence process for all finalists...

“They’re hanging on by the skin of their teeth,” an unnamed source told John Kryk of the Toronto Sun. “The bid’s on life support.”
What life support? The bid never made it to an ambulance, never mind a hospital: it was dead at the scene!

One of his partners has a net worth of seven billion, and could easily cast a winning bid single-handedly. Maybe Jon would settle for being a minority owner. Or maybe the Toronto Brothers could hire Jon to run the Bills (into the ground) by withholding financial support until the lease runs out in 2022. Then they buy him out, replace him with a Canadian, and move to Toronto with a clear conscience...which may have been their ulterior motive all along.

Last edited by rocknation; 02-14-2024 at 12:59 AM..
Old 08-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Keep the Faith

All the money stuff somehow reminds me of a quote Jon used to say during the DA tour in 1997/1998 (then referring to his solo band):

"You can't piss like a puppy if you wanna play with the big dogs."

Old 08-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
All the money stuff somehow reminds me of a quote Jon used to say during the DA tour in 1997/1998 (then referring to his solo band):

"You can't piss like a puppy if you wanna play with the big dogs."

Haha, classic! Had almost forgotten about that