Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

When did you first notice Jon's voice had started to decline?

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-09-2022, 09:25 PM
Dry County

I wasn’t a die hard until 2008, so I can’t comment on anything before that.

But I remember watching the Tampa and Cleveland webcasts in the 2013 tour and noticing how he was having a harder time keeping up with HAND, BTBMB, ITA, and the long note of MAM when comparing it to the 2008-2011 period. Always sounded much thinner, and it was noticeable that he had much less control of his voice than just two years before. But he was still bearable to listen to.

Then I heard Hey God in Bergen and I knew right there that we were in deep trouble. It all went downhill after that.

Cheers

Eduardo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-09-2022, 11:19 PM
These Days

It was 2003 for me. The end of the Bounce tour was rough. His voice was concerning from then until 2008 even though he had found a comfort zone during the HAND tour. 2008-2012 was a renaissance.
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days
Old 10-10-2022, 01:04 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
It was 2003 for me. The end of the Bounce tour was rough. His voice was concerning from then until 2008 even though he had found a comfort zone during the HAND tour. 2008-2012 was a renaissance.
Almost exactly the same time frame for me too. A couple of the Bounce tour shows really started showing problems - but not all the the time. That's why I pick that tour as the start of vocal troubles.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:43 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by efpg0708 View Post
I wasn’t a die hard until 2008, so I can’t comment on anything before that.

But I remember watching the Tampa and Cleveland webcasts in the 2013 tour and noticing how he was having a harder time keeping up with HAND, BTBMB, ITA, and the long note of MAM when comparing it to the 2008-2011 period. Always sounded much thinner, and it was noticeable that he had much less control of his voice than just two years before. But he was still bearable to listen to.

Then I heard Hey God in Bergen and I knew right there that we were in deep trouble. It all went downhill after that.

Cheers

Eduardo

From mid-2013 onwards he was struggling noticeably on many songs, usually at every show. The beginning of the real decline was that summer, first signs could probably be seen even in 2012 (Greenbrier Classics festival etc. weren't that impressive), but the point where he could no longer sing properly at all was reached in 2015, I'd say - struggling on every note. He'd have the occasional decent night (when he'd have less/milder issues) every now and then until Wembley 2019, but since Coventry/Munich/whatever in '19 he's performed nothing but awful shows.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:58 PM
Dry County

Default When did you first notice Jon's voice had started to decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
From mid-2013 onwards he was struggling noticeably on many songs, usually at every show. The beginning of the real decline was that summer, first signs could probably be seen even in 2012 (Greenbrier Classics festival etc. weren't that impressive), but the point where he could no longer sing properly at all was reached in 2015, I'd say - struggling on every note. He'd have the occasional decent night (when he'd have less/milder issues) every now and then until Wembley 2019, but since Coventry/Munich/whatever in '19 he's performed nothing but awful shows.

True. But when they reached Australia in 2013 his tone had changed so much (he acquired that thin whiny tone) that it made him unbearable to hear (to my ears, of course). I couldn’t stand to watch 5 min of the Brisbane broadcast…

Last edited by efpg0708; 10-10-2022 at 09:52 PM..
Old 10-10-2022, 09:38 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Almost exactly the same time frame for me too. A couple of the Bounce tour shows really started showing problems - but not all the the time. That's why I pick that tour as the start of vocal troubles.
The shows at the start of the Bounce tour were fantastic. Anaheim 2003 is one of my all time favourites. That outdoor amphitheatre tour in the summer in the US was one leg too far.
Old 10-12-2022, 01:52 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
The shows at the start of the Bounce tour were fantastic. Anaheim 2003 is one of my all time favourites. That outdoor amphitheatre tour in the summer in the US was one leg too far.

True. I’ve seem countess requests for official releases of more “famous” shows over the years, but Anaheim 2003 would be my pick. The amount of energy is mind blowing, Jon goes 150% on all songs, and I don’t think there’s much left to say about Saturday Night and Keep the Faith …

Cheers

Eduardo

Old 10-12-2022, 03:18 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by efpg0708 View Post
True. I’ve seem countess requests for official releases of more “famous” shows over the years, but Anaheim 2003 would be my pick. The amount of energy is mind blowing, Jon goes 150% on all songs, and I don’t think there’s much left to say about Saturday Night and Keep the Faith …

Cheers

Eduardo

Blaze of Glory also stands out from that show. Its spectacular. The satellite dishes are so cool too.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:35 AM
Livin' on a Post

1991 when i first heard the famous cincinnati 1987 bootleg. Dont get me wrong, i love it but was wondering how he sounds so rough on sone parts...
Old 10-17-2022, 09:38 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuli View Post
1991 when i first heard the famous cincinnati 1987 bootleg. Dont get me wrong, i love it but was wondering how he sounds so rough on sone parts...
That wasn't a decline, pretty much all of 1987 was vocally horseshit for JBJ because of him being so exhausted physically. The first real decline, IMO, started in 2002.