Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

David Bryan piano sound - technical question

General BJ Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Jovi Addict

Default David Bryan piano sound - technical question

Hello everybody!

I have a digital piano at home with midi export support and sometimes I like to experiment and record myself playing. I usually use The Giant or Alicia Key's piano library (vst instruments).

I was listening to April by David today and I desperately want to make my pianos sound like his. You can hear the sharpness, a great range of dynamics, all the frequencies. I mostly like how great it sounds when he plays forte (harder).

Is there anybody who knows more on the subject? For example, what settings I could set on the vsti's, what eq to use, reverb, etc...

Hit the sunrise, scared the daylight out of me...

Old 02-18-2017, 08:42 AM
Keep the Faith

I don't have the patience for midi to the point that I prefer to learn to play the instrument and live record it than try to use midi if they're my only choices.

That said, I think you are going to struggle getting a really good approximation of David's sound there unfortunately, since it's a live grand piano with at least two good directional mic's. Your best bet is just finding a GP set with reasonable ambient reverb. You'd almost have to spend time on every single note to get the same sound though. You'd be better off spending your time renting time on a gp and recording that...

Milton Keynes 1 (HAND), Manchester & Bristol (LH), Dublin 2 (2011), Dublin 2 (THINFS)
Old 02-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalJez View Post
I don't have the patience for midi to the point that I prefer to learn to play the instrument and live record it than try to use midi if they're my only choices.

That said, I think you are going to struggle getting a really good approximation of David's sound there unfortunately, since it's a live grand piano with at least two good directional mic's. Your best bet is just finding a GP set with reasonable ambient reverb. You'd almost have to spend time on every single note to get the same sound though. You'd be better off spending your time renting time on a gp and recording that...
Thank you for your answer!

I already know how to play the piano pretty well, so I'm done with how to play the song. The only think I need now is how to setup the piano/sound. I'm just recording in midi in order to have the ability to adjust anything I need later.

I'll try to make use of your advice, thanks again!
Hit the sunrise, scared the daylight out of me...