Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The Official July 17 Ernst-Happel-Stadion, Vienna, Austria Thread

Tour Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 10:34 AM
Keep the Faith

What you heard on Have a nice day is not pre-recorded,its Everett who does those amazing parts.
MADRID-22/5/2003 / MILTON KEYNES-10 & 11/6/2006 / LONDON-24/6/2007 / STUTTGART-29/5/2008 / BARCELONA-1/6/2008 / LONDON-27 & 28/6/2008 / NEW JERSEY-26 & 27/5/2010 / MADRID-4/6/2010 / PARIS-16/6/2010 / MADRID-6/11/2010 / DRESDEN-10/6/2011 / MUNICH-12/6/2011 / ZEEBRUGGE-24/7/2011 / BARCELONA-27/7/2011 / SAN SEBASTIAN-29/7/2011 / LISBON-31/7/2011 / RICHIE SAMBORA-LONDON-16/10/12 / BERLIN-18/6/13 / KOLN-22/6/13 / MADRID-27/6/13 / MILANO-29/6/13 / LIVERPOOL-19/6/19 / LONDON-21/6/19 / MADRID-7/7/19

Old 07-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
Skid Row started cold but then they totally won the audience!
They need to bring back Seb. They have had about 3 singers since he left and they've all been terrible. Shame as they are great musicians.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 07-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDJOVIMAN View Post
https://youtu.be/87qzdGJFBbU

My video from yesterday's These Days
That......is horrific.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Old 07-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
They need to bring back Seb. They have had about 3 singers since he left and they've all been terrible. Shame as they are great musicians.
you're wrong,the band sounds amazing with zp theart,he can reach all the high notes and he is a million times better singer than bach these days
Old 07-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsambo View Post
you're wrong,the band sounds amazing with zp theart,he can reach all the high notes and he is a million times better singer than bach these days
In your opinion of course.

Too me he is squeaky and whinny when trying to get high notes.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:45 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
That......is horrific.
But we should all be glad that Jon is still performing (in his legend jacket) I am totally happy to pay 150 bucks for hearing a song performed like this because they are LEGENDS, you know? And there were two good notes in KTF. And Phil X has a lot of energy so that should be enough
Old 07-18-2019, 12:53 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith1985 View Post
But we should all be glad that Jon is still performing (in his legend jacket) I am totally happy to pay 150 bucks for hearing a song performed like this because they are LEGENDS, you know? And there were two good notes in KTF. And Phil X has a lot of energy so that should be enough
Come on rosa, shut up!

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2019, 01:57 PM
Dry County

Send a message via MSN to LeaJovi

I can't even begin to understand how Jon goes onstage in this condition and performs in front of thousands. I wouldn't dare. I remember that wedding video where they insisted he sing prayer and he was terrified, I can't imagine how he will feel in every public event where they might ask him to sing something.

Also, I wonder how the relationship between the band members is. Is everybody waiting orders and going "Yes Sir, you are sounding great sir.". Maybe Tico or David are mentioning the issue or are they also delusional?

The internal conversations really intrigue me, I hope when it's all over we get a good autobiography revealing all the shit.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:36 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa3 View Post
This is going to my last post here then I will not be coming here to DC again. First and foremost, I AM NOT going to start to argue about Jon's voice how good or bad it is, personally, I think he sounds good, maybe not like it was from 80's,90's and even beyond. But what bothers me of this message board is the constant complaint and criticizim...
Rosa, you need to do what makes you happy. I think the world of you, but I gotta say this or I'm gonna bust!

Part of the reason you're so unhappy with this board is because you do the very thing you accuse others of doing. Just like you think that all people do here is find fault with the band, it seems to me that all you see, among the posts here, are the ones you don't like, the ones you are critical of, or that you disagree with.

Without actually going back and counting to compare, it seems to me that there have been more positive comments about these shows, in proportion to the negative, than I've seen on any PBPs I've followed in the past. And some of those come from people who have previously grumbled the most about the band.

I kept watching, hoping that you would pop in at some point to express surprise over how many positive reviews you had read - even from some of the chief "offenders." But I guess I gave you too much credit. Because for all your enlightened "why can't you see the good and just be grateful" cheerleading, it seems like you can't see the good in others, and be grateful for that, any more than those you criticize.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:44 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

The press are once again highlighting the poor vocals;

Less than fifteen minutes after the start it's is clear as day: this is not the perfect triumph this band is used to. The show's intro with a few pictures of Viennese sights was sympathetic, the first two songs good, loud, quick mood makers.

But singer Jon Bongiovi and his band have reached "You Give Love A Bad Name" and it is clear that the 57-year-old has problems with his voice. He struggles and doesn't hit the correct key. Although he is vocally supported by keyboarder in the frequent chorusses, bass player Hugh McDonald and especially the percussionist Everett Bradley. But if he sings alone, this weakness can't be hidden

The projections on the monstrous LED wall, which spans the rear and side wings of the stage, clearly show during Keep The Faith how much he is fighting for the right tones, but the vocal cords no longer give them away.

The ballad "Amen" succeeds him perfectly under these circumstances. And yet a Bongiovi has even more struggles. Every time he finishes the difficult high choir without vocal support, his gestures show triumph and relief, a thing once so natural to him.

"Bed Of Roses" (with a hand kiss for an admirer who brought Bongiovi to the stage for a dance) soon fascinates the audience in Vienna. Because it resonates a bit, you want to support the front man to the best of his ability.

But you want to celebrate much more. Bon Jovi has always excelled in playing the hits but they can't fully compensate for the vocal weaknesses of the singer. It certainly pushes enjoyment to the background: Bon Jovi can still fill all the old hits with exhilarating vitality like they have done a thousands of times. And yet they still give the audience exactly what they want: "Lay your hands on me", "It's My Life", "Bad Medicine" and all other rock songs with the unforgettable tunes that Brought Bon Jovi to the "Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame "in 2018.

In between there's few songs from the latest album "This House Is Not For Sale", "Runaway" from the debut and rare stuff from the 2000s. Another highlight is "Wanted Dead Or Alive", with the LED wall with photos of one Sunset is perfectly staged.

Of course, in the encore even the biggest hit "Livin 'On A Prayer" gets played. It easily becomes the usual triumphal procession and ends an evening that was quite entertaining because of the unbridled enthusiasm of the band and their countless anthemic world hits - even though ​​this country has heard Jon Bon Jovi in much better in shape before.

And another one:
Bon Jovi: between euphoric and disappointment

Jon Bon Jovi and his band finally returned to the Ernst-Happel stadium in Vienna on Wednesday evening. In addition to a series of cult songs and big hits, the band enchanted their fans with enthusiasm, visual delights and lots of charm. As long as the once strong vocals couldn't be distinguished...

Six years have passed since the last visit to Bon Jovi in ​​Vienna and much has happened since then. With "This House Is Not For Sale" the rock legends have released an alright but far from extraordinary record, frontman Jon Bon is now gray in doesn't seem to bother keeping himself artificially young with bleach, and guitar god Richie Sambora is no longer on board of this battleship that has been spoiled by success. The 'second living room' of Bon Jovi, the Ernst Happel Stadium can still be filled tonight and the tens of thousands of enthusiasts are everywhere in Vienna anyway. Less than a day and a half before the show, the entire Bon Jovi train arrived in Vienna. A Plachutta schnitzel had to be had, as well as the obligatory hide-and-seek between star and lurking fans. During the concert in Vienna, the 57-year-old is in a good mood right from the start.

Beautiful screens
With the title track of the current album, the evergreen "Raise Your Hands" and the sing-along song "You Give Love A Bad Name", the band explodes, which was expanded into a septet with guitarist John Shanks and percussionist Everett Bradley, in the nearly two and a half-hour set to appreciate all almost four decades of the band's history. Special attention goes to the brilliant screens. Three extra large video screens and a beautiful light show shine through the lush Happel-Oval and reflect everything but respectful understatement. From these canvases that currently show beautiful concert recordings, nostalgic flashbacks, various messages or, in the balladesque moments, just soft gods. Time and again the front man with his snow-white toothpaste is brought into the middle of the landscape to guarantee a visual spectacle even in the farthest places.

Musically Bon Jovi is used to being in the top class. Chief guitarist and Sambora successor Phil X is the winner of the evening, with both his co-stars Tico Torres and David Bryan, with his partially staged solos ("Keep The Faith!"), The team-oriented rhythm performance and the ever-present good humor knows how to shine with sovereignty on drums and keyboards. Guitarist Shanks, who has been helping Jon Bon Jovi for quite some time, humbly works for the crew, such as former bass player Hugh McDonald, and lets the glittering frontman applaud and show for highlights and well-being.

But the boss is now extremely troubled. He doesn't want to get the flow out of the show but with challenging classics such as "Livin 'On A Prayer", "Wanted Dead Or Alive" or "Have A Nice Day" (with red-white-red video), he makes sure his instructed colleagues are there to back him up. Without their expert background vocals, the performance would actually be more than a sad spectacle.

Joy and sorrow
Conditionally fit and always charmingly smiling, the American has his loyal audience effortlessly under control despite all voice problems. Although many wonder about the voice of his idol, it doesn't matter to most. For the first major single "Runaway" (vocally the low point of the concert) he tells the story of how he burst into the record company with a good dose of confidence and impudence and "promised a future rock star with these 3:30 minutes". In "Lay your Hands On Me" he walks in front of the church windows and contacts the fans and does a "Nick Cave light". In the ballads "Amen" (Jon's sovereign vocal performance!) And "Bed Of Roses" can be blessed with reassuring nostalgia.

Moreover, one is on the video wall of the starry sky and the candle landscape umschmiegt. But even if it is technically powerful, with his boundless good humor and the charm of the beamman, Bon Jovi turns out to be another top-level enetertainer. After "Bad Medicine" and an encore consisting of "These Days" and "Livin 'On A Prayer" the show is over after a measily 2 hours. What's left is a feeling of uncertainty and disappointment. They'll get a second chance in Klagenfurt, another sold out show.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan