Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Why all the ads?!?

Announcements, Questions & Comments

Old 06-08-2015, 01:01 AM
Posting everyday

I know it's a long shot, but ain't there a chance of starting a forum somewhere else and having it run by a person who's actually still active and interested in keeping it going?

Today I turned my ad-blocking system off just to check how the situation really is and not only were there ads, my antivirus immediately rand alarm and stopped some scripts from trying to run malware onto my PC. That's just insane!

Old 06-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Posting Always

Ditto.

Anybody around here with too much time on their hands to launch a parallel board?
Old 06-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Keep the Faith

I could host but I don't have the time to run it. Besides, I'm not sure how successful it would be...

Milton Keynes 1 (HAND), Manchester & Bristol (LH), Dublin 2 (2011), Dublin 2 (THINFS)
Old 06-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Posting Always

FYI, I ran several parallel Springsteen and Jukes boards 10-15 years ago when we had technical problems with the usual ones or when the admins didn't want to run the forum anymore, it's not very complicated, really, it's mostly a question of having a lot of time on your hands.

There are 2 options:
1) you create a brand-new board where everybody have to register and start posting again from scratch
2) you create a brand-new board where you + nice & generous volunteers take the time to copy & paste the most important threads and messages so that the most interesting conversations don't disappear.

Some friends of mine did that a couple of years ago and it took us only a couple of months to select and import the most interesting threads into the new board. Of course it was a lot easier since we were not bothered with 4 pop-ups each time we clicked on a page...
Old 06-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

The problem with moving forums is you lose people if it's not the same address, and this board has a very big userlist (despite not so many being active).

The only way it could work was if it diverted away from here to the new address but that isn't going to happen. You could just have stickys pointing to the new site possibly but you are still just going to lose a hell of a lot of people and all the seo benefits etc that having a longtime site has built up.

Additionally, I can't see why people in 2015 aren't browsing without any sort of adaware or pop up blockers. It's a must, not just for this site.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 06-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Jovi Addict

For those of you having trouble with the AdBlock Plus redirect, just install the NoScript addon and add drycounty.com on the untrusted list.

It's working fine for me on Firefox so far, no more redirects.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce7800 View Post
The problem with moving forums is you lose people if it's not the same address, and this board has a very big userlist (despite not so many being active).
I understand but right now this board is most likely losing a lot of older users who are fed up with being bombarded with ads + potential new users won't register for the same reason.

Quote:
Additionally, I can't see why people in 2015 aren't browsing without any sort of adaware or pop up blockers. It's a must, not just for this site.
Pop-up blockers are included in browsers nowadays so that you normally don't need to add a more efficient one. Some time ago we, Jovitalkers, had to add AdBlockPlus to be able to navigate on the board and it worked for a very short while then the admin added a new script to redirect ABP users and make it impossible to connect to the board... unless you upload another add-on... until the admin find another way? This is getting crazy and not worth it.

On a side and personal note, ABP isn't good for me as it prevents me from watching some TV channels whose webmasters are smarter than the JoviTalker who keeps repeating in another thread that all I need to do is "tell" ABP which sites are not to be blocked by it but I'll say it again: it does NOT work with some. Some TV and radio pages demand a password or a FB account to allow you to access their streaming programs, it's the technical trick they came up with to oblige viewers to accept ads whatever pop-up software they use.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce7800 View Post

The only way it could work was if it diverted away from here to the new address but that isn't going to happen. You could just have stickys pointing to the new site possibly but you are still just going to lose a hell of a lot of people and all the seo benefits etc that having a longtime site has built up.

Most sites are not nearly as bad as this for ads though. And the SEO benefits would seem to be cancelled out by the fact that any potential new users (and many existing ones already) are put off the site as soon as they attempt to access it.
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne - 8 December 2013
Perth Arena, Perth - 12 December 2013
Arena Joondalup, Perth (Soundwave) - 3 March 2014
ANZ Stadium, Sydney - 8 December 2018

Blame It On The Love...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Posting Always

OK, looks like I had too much internet time on my hands today!

I've been experimenting with a new board today, just discovering how it works.
It's not meant to be a new forum per se, I'll just be using it as my own archive and playground but you're welcome to lurk and even post!

NO ADS, NO DRAMA!
http://whataboutbonjovinow.free-bb.eu/
Old 06-08-2015, 10:50 PM
It's my post

Moving would be worth it in my opinion. Just make sure it's well known on this site that we have moved. Any commoners around here wouldn't have any issue with moving, I don't think.

Last edited by TwinFan; 06-08-2015 at 10:54 PM..