Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Did John Shanks ruin Bon Jovi?

General BJ Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Eveline, we are not disagreeing. I think we can both agree Jon and Richie lost their creative connection for now and they are both making better music without each other than the stagnant music they were making together where it seems like they felt like they had to say something universal rather than personal. I personally don't care about Richie's solo work. I didn't find it any different than bon Jovi by great significance, so I can live without it. But if his fans are happy with it, great. There is no competition IMHO. There's room for everyone.

Maybe one day they will want to work together again when they have something to say again. If the Eagles and Guns n Roses could do it.....

Old 01-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via MSN to Gabriel Shoes

There's a lot of people here (including me) that think KTF/CR/TD was their peak as artists. I do think These Days has something more over their other records, specially in songwriting, but if you stop to think about it, if they didn't do KTF and TD exactly the way those albums are, I bet Bon Jovi wouldn't survive the 90s. So, Crush has the same factor, if they didn't chose to go this route, I can hardly see Bon Jovi surviving de 2000s.

At the end of the day, Bon Jovi was just trying to survive, even if it was 90s or 2000s, Hey God or It's My Life, These Days or Say It Isn't So, This Ain't A Love Song or Thank You For Loving Me.

Well done, little buddy.

Last edited by Gabriel Shoes; 01-12-2017 at 02:17 PM..
Old 02-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Born to be my Baby

I think Jon brought in Shanks to make the band more "relevant" in today's pop scene. I cringe every time I hear auto-tune, but I die a little when it's Jovi. It's not the man himself, it's his production that's bad and has altered BJ's sound.

The band is very stagnant, THINFS is a very, very poor album, but it's consistent with the past 5 records or so, and it shows where the stagnation really is - Jon and John.
Richie is out doing his own thing and from the snippets we get here and there I think it sounds fresher, it's original, and more to form than anything Bon Jovi's done for a while. I'm looking forward to that album to really see what's what.

My Bon Jovi Album Ranking: These Days, SWW, KTF, Jersey, Crush, 7800F, Bridges, HAND, Bon Jovi, Bounce, WAN, Circle, THINFS, LH, 2020;
Old 02-09-2017, 12:08 AM
Price of posting

Default Did John Shanks ruin Bon Jovi?

I'll be a lot happier when Richie and Jbj sort this out and he's back in the band.
Nothing against Phil x who is a great player or Shanks but their not Bon jovi.
Seeing just 3 original members makes me sad.
THINFS is a good album but imagine how much better it'd sound with a rejuvenated Richie on.
Also for me it's no coincidence that since Shanks has been associated with the band the standard of music has dropped significantly
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 02-09-2017, 02:12 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Jon has way more to say without Richie than he's had to say with him in a very long time.
At least judging by THINFS, Job has more to say about Richie than anything else.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
At least judging by THINFS, Job has more to say about Richie than anything else.
This! There are, however, a few songs with Richie in mind to be skilfully avoided on the tour...or maybe not ;]
Old 02-11-2017, 03:53 AM
Livin' on a Post

maybe, I think is a bad idea to keep the same staff besides the band on a lot of records, new production and engineers always can make the band sound new and fresh, I wanted at least 2 albums without Shanks, I wanted Bob Rock back, I don't know whats he is doing nowadays, I don't listen to anything he did since St Anger but I think he could give Bon Jovi a nice hard rock feeling again
Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Jovi FANatic

Jon's reliance on a producer he feels comfortable around and who can help mask his vocal decline, is the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2018, 10:22 PM
Suddenly

Burning Bridges and THINFS aren’t that good either if you’re throwing inThr Circle as a disliked album. At least The Circle had a few songs that were reminiscent of older Bon Jovi tunes.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:29 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Locking this thread, someone just started another one with the same topic.
Closed Thread