Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Sambora: No freedom in Bon Jovi

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Born to be my Baby

Default Sambora: No freedom in Bon Jovi

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news...om-in-bon-jovi

(not the full text)

Richie Sambora says he felt a lack of freedom in Bon Jovi ahead of his departure last year.

Quote:
Sambora tells Rock Radio NI: “There's freedom there, obviously. That's one of the main things I was missing in music over the past years – and also in Bon Jovi, actually. There wasn't enough room to improvise, to have that moment where you can actually lose yourself musically."

He's working on an album with his guitarist Orianthi, who has previously collaborated with Alice Cooper and Michael Jackson. He says his creative output is in full flow, adding: " "What I've done is assemble an amazing group of musicians. I asked the guys in my band to express themselves and bring all the input they can.”

The process of songwriting is easier than it's been in a long time, Sambora reports. “The songs are just coming out of me right now – I just keep writing and writing," he says. "I always felt there was some kind of nobility centred in my desire and passion for what I do. I still have that, I think I have it even more now.

"I'm loving music right now. I feel like I'm 15."

Old 06-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwehehehe View Post
http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news...om-in-bon-jovi

(not the full text)

Richie Sambora says he felt a lack of freedom in Bon Jovi ahead of his departure last year.
That's fair enough to be honest. Something we probably all suspected and it isn't disrespectful in the way that some of his previous comments have been.

The test will be what he produces himself though. None of his solo albums have been that far removed from what Bon Jovi do.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 PM
These Days

MAYBE these arguments would make sense if he didn't release Aftermath, which prior had him say the exact same things he's saying here, but the end result was a record just as commercially-oriented as Bon Jovi (a tad heavier, but still), with zero epic solos he was known for in the 90s, no 'flowing jamming' and other things.

The saddest part is that he must really believe what he's saying.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
MAYBE these arguments would make sense if he didn't release Aftermath, which prior had him say the exact same things he's saying here, but the end result was a record just as commercially-oriented as Bon Jovi (a tad heavier, but still), with zero epic solos he was known for in the 90s, no 'flowing jamming' and other things.

I don't understand it either. He acts as IF he rocks out on stage, but he actually doesn't. Even his 'home videos' seem staged. Sometimes it works but there is still a lack of soul in his performances. The thing that made it special is gone. It is alright but just above average even when he is on top of his game.

It is clear now that it is not about the lack of freedom in BJ but rather how to use it to be oneself and at piece with the situation. He doesn't seem centered at all even if he keeps on singing about it.

I don't mind it too much since it is just normal to be of contradictory sometimes but as long as he isn't honest with himself I don't see the music improving.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via MSN to Gabriel Shoes

Quote:

I agree with you, but we hear rumours of a Richie solo album since 2004, right? Jon kept pushing him to "work" (Bon Jovi is just work since Crush, his solo stuff is something else).

Well done, little buddy.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:19 PM
These Days

Quote:

But he didn't say that there was freedom to do the things "he was known for in the 90s". Maybe that's just what some of us were hoping that he would use more freedom to do.

It sounds to me like he is enjoying more freedom to express himself musically in whatever way he chooses, whether it's commercial pop, bluesy riffs, or cranking out a long heavy solo. He could also be referring to lyrical content as well, or taking live shows in a less scripted direction, or...
Old 06-05-2014, 04:25 PM
The Distance

Great! Another Richie thread!

Just more of the same of what we already know!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Price of posting

These guys have lost the train of creativity. Both Richie and Jon never coming back to be as creative as before, both have lost that talent. Richie just wants to play his shit and Jon want to fame.

Now, they are dinosaurs, is only the descent.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:22 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Richie's so full of shit I can smell him from here.

In one breath he talks about how HE writes the songs and he produces the songs and in the next he says he's being held back.

If his solo albums were drastically different than Bon Jovi albums it would be different, but they're not.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:45 AM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Richie's so full of shit I can smell him from here.

In one breath he talks about how HE writes the songs and he produces the songs and in the next he says he's being held back.

If his solo albums were drastically different than Bon Jovi albums it would be different, but they're not.
Both are full of shit.