Theoretical Super Deluxe Editions with existing material

General BJ Discussion

Old 01-07-2020, 11:58 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
I agree with that.

Me too.
If vaults are opened give us a load of stuff never heard.
Not rehashes of songs we’ve already got.
I don’t need a 48th version of prayer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo

Old 01-08-2020, 08:18 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Gimme as many older songs as possible, I'll pay.
But the thing here is that Jon is not Springsteen, nor Dylan or Neil Young...he simply does not have unreleased "A-list" songs in the vault. The band has always been chasing hits and they have polished their very best songs already on their albums...I mean IMHO not one of the "Sons Of Beaches" demos is better or even equal to those tracks on New Jersey. Same with SWW bootleg demos.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:44 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuli View Post
But the thing here is that Jon is not Springsteen, nor Dylan or Neil Young...he simply does not have unreleased "A-list" songs in the vault. The band has always been chasing hits and they have polished their very best songs already on their albums...I mean IMHO not one of the "Sons Of Beaches" demos is better or even equal to those tracks on New Jersey. Same with SWW bootleg demos.
I disagree because A-list is completely subjective. Give me the songs they rejected BECAUSE they didn't sound like hits, didn't fit the vibe of the album. They say Lonely didn't make the album because "Whole lot of Lonely" is too close to "Whole lot of leaving" and I treasure Lonely more than anything else. Your examples are pure opinion and, to me at least, not enough of a reason to not put stuff out if it's just going to sit around.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:49 AM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I disagree because A-list is completely subjective. Give me the songs they rejected BECAUSE they didn't sound like hits, didn't fit the vibe of the album. They say Lonely didn't make the album because "Whole lot of Lonely" is too close to "Whole lot of leaving" and I treasure Lonely more than anything else. Your examples are pure opinion and, to me at least, not enough of a reason to not put stuff out if it's just going to sit around.
Of course it its subjective. And I'm mainly talking about 80s material which I know inside out. I have no knowledge of past 90s material at all. And we're talking about "unreleased" material here, not "b-sides" or "bonus tracks".

NJ demos remained unreleased until 2014 and they're yet to release SWW demos. And it'd be interesting to hear which songs people here would drop from those two albums in favor of which demos? I guess common answer would be "Social Disease" => "Edge Of A Broken Heart" but this doesnt count as "Edge" was officially released".
Old 01-09-2020, 12:20 PM
Something for the Posts

The only song I would replace on Slippery is Without Love, but I don't really think Edge would have sat on the album very well. Maybe Borderline would have. I don't think any of the demos are particularly strong, but I would like to have them in better quality...

New Jersey, I wouldn't change a thing, but I do love the Demos....
Old 01-09-2020, 01:38 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
This maybe so, but maybe you should take the songs for what they are? A lot of the outtakes are good songs, just not songs that'd fit on the Bon Jovi album they were written for. I think Damned is a fantastic song but wouldn't release it as a single either. I love Good Guys Don't Always Wear White but can see why it wasn't put on These Days either. Let's Make It Baby is a great song but I wouldn't put that one on New Jersey either. There's Borderline which is pretty good but sounds too depressing for a party record like Slippery. That's 4 songs you'd miss out of if you'd say the band doesn't have A-songs in the vault. I know this is stretching it a bit, for every good leftover they've released a few mediocre ones, but still. Would you rather not have heard any of these at all?

When the box set came out in 2004 I still remember thinking "well, that was a fun listen" and then pretty much didn't care for most songs on there. A lot of it is just alright and the novelty wears off after a few listens or so. Like you said it's clear why most songs didn't make the cut. But out of the 48 tracks I reckon there's 12 I've put on repeat and still listen to. And I feel those 12 songs are up to par with what the band has released before, and they're certainly better than most of what the band released after. I still go back to Temptation every now and then but have no desire to ever here songs like Joey or Wildflower ever again.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 01-09-2020 at 01:45 PM..
Old 01-09-2020, 02:22 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Of course it its subjective. And I'm mainly talking about 80s material which I know inside out. I have no knowledge of past 90s material at all. And we're talking about "unreleased" material here, not "b-sides" or "bonus tracks".

NJ demos remained unreleased until 2014 and they're yet to release SWW demos. And it'd be interesting to hear which songs people here would drop from those two albums in favor of which demos? I guess common answer would be "Social Disease" => "Edge Of A Broken Heart" but this doesnt count as "Edge" was officially released".
I get where you're coming from, I do. I would have loved Backdoor to Heaven on it but it's not better then the Living in Sin and I'll be there for you. It stands to reason there are songs in the vault that had similar issues. I would have taken off She's a Mystery and put on Ain't No Cure For Love.

That and putting a really really good song, to me, as a b-side tells me they're capable of writing the style and songs I like but it's just not fitting with the style. I'd rather hear the stuff that wasn't radio friendly enough to be honest. That didn't sound too much like another song. Richie said something like "it's too smart" as to why The One Who Got Away didn't make the album. That doesn't mean it's a bad song, it just wasn't right for the time. I want that.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:42 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

This maybe so, but maybe you should take the songs for what they are? A lot of the outtakes are good songs, just not songs that'd fit on the Bon Jovi album they were written for. I think Damned is a fantastic song but wouldn't release it as a single either. I love Good Guys Don't Always Wear White but can see why it wasn't put on These Days either. Let's Make It Baby is a great song but I wouldn't put that one on New Jersey either. There's Borderline which is pretty good but sounds too depressing for a party record like Slippery. That's 4 songs you'd miss out of if you'd say the band doesn't have A-songs in the vault. I know this is stretching it a bit, for every good leftover they've released a few mediocre ones, but still. Would you rather not have heard any of these at all?

When the box set came out in 2004 I still remember thinking "well, that was a fun listen" and then pretty much didn't care for most songs on there. A lot of it is just alright and the novelty wears off after a few listens or so. Like you said it's clear why most songs didn't make the cut. But out of the 48 tracks I reckon there's 12 I've put on repeat and still listen to. And I feel those 12 songs are up to par with what the band has released before, and they're certainly better than most of what the band released after. I still go back to Temptation every now and then but have no desire to ever here songs like Joey or Wildflower ever again.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Agree with this.

The only ones on boxset I go to if im putting together a Jovi playlist back to are:

Radio
Taking it Back
Outlaws Of Love
Good Guys
We Rule the Night
River Runs Dry
Kipnap an Angel
Out of Bounds
Billy
Nobodys Hero

I've not included Edge and Borderline as they were already released.

I like a lot of the others but I never really listen to them, as you say, there are 1 or 2 that get more listens than others but not as much as those in my list.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 01-10-2020, 07:29 AM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
Me too.
If vaults are opened give us a load of stuff never heard.
Not rehashes of songs we’ve already got.
I don’t need a 48th version of prayer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't think Jon will open up the vaults until he decides to officially retire the band for good,which I doubt he'll do anytime soon. Jon also said there will be box set coming out in a few years but I doubt it'll happen,besides if Jon really does decide to release a box set then he'll probably have all of Richie's backing vocals and guitar parts removed from the songs just so he doesn't have to share royalities with Richie,exactly what happned with Burning Bridges.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:32 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccritic101 View Post
I don't think Jon will open up the vaults until he decides to officially retire the band for good,which I doubt he'll do anytime soon. Jon also said there will be box set coming out in a few years but I doubt it'll happen,besides if Jon really does decide to release a box set then he'll probably have all of Richie's backing vocals and guitar parts removed from the songs just so he doesn't have to share royalities with Richie,exactly what happned with Burning Bridges.
I don't think that's the case. Why would he do that?
Runaway and In And Out Of Love from Tokyo 1985 were included on OWN and Alec was credited (7 years after leaving the band). They could've included any other song with Hugh playing.
Alec is also credited on the box set, 10 years after leaving the band. Even though we all know he wasn't much of a studio player and it was rather Hugh who played there.
So there's no point in replacing Richie at all. If the release is meant as a boxset.
On the other hand, Burning Bridges was meant as an album, even though it was compiled but it was realeased as an album so I get why it was recorded as a whole, so without Richie.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights