Bruce Springsteen Vies For Top Tour

Other Bands

Old 07-27-2008, 06:30 PM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to mo_rizwan
Default Bruce Springsteen Vies For Top Tour

27 July 2008
Bruce Springsteen Vies For Top Tour

"Glory Days" are here again for Bruce Springsteen, whose upcoming tour could make him the biggest touring artist of the year in North America.

Springsteen and his E Street Band, who kick off the second leg of their North American tour in New Jersey on Sunday, will vie for the crown with fellow Garden State rockers Bon Jovi and country singer Kenny Chesney, according to Pollstar magazine.

Each artist should end the year with ticket sales of about $70 million (35 million pounds), said Gary Bongiovanni, the editor of the Fresno, Calif.-based trade publication.

That's a modest sum by past standards. The Police were tops last year with $132 million, while the Rolling Stones led the field in 2006 with $138.5 million and in 2005 with a record $162 million. Springsteen won the 2003 derby with $116 million.

The last time a year's top touring act earned less than $70 million was in 1999 when the Rolling Stones grossed $65 million from a relatively brief arena tour.

"The economy's got to be affecting everything," Bongiovanni said in an interview.

The credit crunch and higher fuel prices are keeping fans at home. Concert promoters have responded by cutting prices of their cheap seats, while many rockers are seeking economies of scale by playing bigger markets.

At the half-year mark, Bon Jovi led with $56.3 million, followed by Springsteen with $40.8 million, Van Halen with $36.8 million, and Chesney with $35.3 million, Pollstar said.

Springsteen's tour begins with three dates at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. The last time he played the football field, five years ago, he grossed $39 million from 10 concerts. His top ticket price is now about 20 percent higher at $95. The quick monthlong jaunt, a follow-up to a two-month arena trek earlier this year, sticks largely on the eastern United States. Last year, he grossed $38 million in North America, No. 14 on Pollstar's list.

Pollstar is still crunching data for Bon Jovi's tour, which finished earlier this month with a pair of shows at New York's Madison Square Garden. Chesney -- the No. 2 act last year with $71 million-- is on the road through August 23. Van Halen, whose 2007 tour ranked No. 5 with $57 million, wrapped their trek in early June.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifest...46242920080727

Old 07-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Bruuuuce!!! I'm on my way to that Jersey first night show in a few hours I think I just got seduced into going to Boston again too. It's only money

I have noticed that Bruces last stadium leg here in the US has done pretty much what Bon Jovi's did. He is keeping it to mostly the eastern part of the US - and fewer shows. These guys just don't sell as many tickets in the mid-west or the west as they used to. Maybe, these days, nobody does.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:00 PM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to mo_rizwan

I'm currently thinking of getting into him (musically speaking)

Can anyone recommend any albums for me?

(Don't say "ALL" unless they're All GREAT)
Old 07-27-2008, 08:13 PM
These Days

Mo you should check out Born To Run, Born In The U.S.A , Greetings From Asbury Park N.J and Darkness On The Edge , the rest are goodbut there my favourites
Old 07-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_rizwan View Post

Can someone start a 'recommended Springsteen Albums' thread. And can the Mods make it sticky? This question just gets asked over and over.

Mo - Start with the Live 3CD set, see which songs you like and explore the studio from there.

Last edited by BeExcellent; 07-27-2008 at 08:29 PM..
Old 07-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Midnight on JoviTalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_rizwan View Post
I'm currently thinking of getting into him (musically speaking)

(Don't say "ALL" unless they're All GREAT)
Greatest Hits, if for Murder Inc only Magic's real good as well.

But they're the only ones I got so...yeah.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

There the 1995 Greatest Hits, which is just 1 disc but covers the basics. It has Murder Inc. and Secret Garden which I love. But obviously the best greatest hits package is The Essential Bruce Springsteen. 2 CDs that covers everything from his first album up untill The Rising, and some versions have a bonus disc of rarities and live stuff.

I wouldn't really know what studio albums to "recommend", but my favourites are Tunnel Of Love and The Rising. As for individual tracks these are my fave's:-

I'm On Fire
Human Touch
One Step Up
Walk Like A Man
Atlantic City
Ghost of Tom Joad
Streets Of Philadelphia
Lucky Town

They're just a few that come to mind right now. But like someone said on a previous thread, if you REALLY wana get into him, particularly his old 70's stuff, get a live album.

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Posting Dead Or Alive

Bruce Springsteen Live In New York City:... Bruce Springsteen Live In New York City:...
Start by picking up this. I wasn't a fan at all. Tried quite a few albums and they didn't work. Kathleen sent me a copy of this and at first I was blown away by one song. The rest of the concert then grew on me, and before I knew it, I was hooked.

Tried and tested...and worked!
Bruce - Live In New York City (Madison Square Garden) 2001

Bruce Springsteen: Live In New York City [DVD]:... Bruce Springsteen: Live In New York City [DVD]:...This is the same concert on dvd - You won't regret it.
2010: NJ x3, London x4. 2011: Munich, Manchester, London, Dublin x2, Lisbon. 2012: RS London.
2013: Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin, London. 2014: RS Belfast. 2016: London. 2019: Dublin x2, Liverpool, London

Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Just got back from the show - it's 1:20 here. Show started at 8:30 and ended at almost midnight. Almost 3 1/2 hours and a 30 song setlist. Now THAT's a Bruce concert. He sounds as good as ever and he's still sliding around on the stage on his knees Check out the setlist - my god........what a show.

1. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
2. Radio Nowhere
3. Lonesome Day
4. No Surrender
5. Adam Raised a Cain
6. Spirit in the Night
7. Summertime Blues
8. Brilliant Disguise
9. Atlantic City
10. Growin' Up
11. Janey Don't You Lose Heart
12. I'll Work for Your Love
13. Youngstown
14. Murder Inc.
15. The Promised Land
16. Livin' in the Future
17. Mary's Place
18. Workin' on the Highway
19. Tunnel of Love
20. The Rising
21. Last to Die
22. Long Walk Home
23. Badlands

24. Girls in Their Summer Clothes
25. Jungleland
26. Born to Run
27. Bobby Jean
28. Dancing in the Dark
29. American Land
30. Rosalita

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Posting Dead Or Alive

3 hours 30 mins? Bloody hell. You guys must be exhausted!?!
2010: NJ x3, London x4. 2011: Munich, Manchester, London, Dublin x2, Lisbon. 2012: RS London.
2013: Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin, London. 2014: RS Belfast. 2016: London. 2019: Dublin x2, Liverpool, London