Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

SWW DualDisc. OMG! (hand also)

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 09-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Send a message via MSN to hodgear
Default SWW DualDisc. OMG! (hand also)

OK. This is basically a different record now. I'm amazed. There is all kinds of stuff added to these songs. I drive an Acura TL (DVD-A support with full 5.1 sound). The sound is incredible. I was expecting (for an album this old) to use the surround channels that much. All of the songs different vocals added here and there and they are all longer. This is more like a "directors cut" in my opinion. It's so different that I almost don't know how to feel about it. In once sense the sound blows me away and I like the changes but I almost feel like you are going back and painting over a piece of art. I'm not sure artists that take work seriously would really agree with this (think George Lucas and the Star Wars changes controversy). There are some other things. In Prayer for example the sound is so clean you can hear the various tracks. It's hard to explain - when the chorus ends it's like you can hear it just stop where in the stereo version you are used to it just all blending together. And it's a minute longer. So far I like the changes to Raise Your Hands the best. Anyway, I don't post here much because I come in looking for news but this blew my mind today.

The 5.1 HAND cut is a different experience as well. I only had a few minutes to get a listen to some of it. The changes are not as jaw dropping but for sure there is a different feel created. Last Cig for example. This is my favorite track on this record but I was listening to the 5.1 version and you can here the keyboards really brought forward in the track. The question comes down to is this the way they intended or did the engineering process decide that? Was it mixed in 5.1 with supervision from the band and then they created the stereo mix off that? I mean who knows if the band is even there for that kind of stuff? These would be good questions for Jon. Anyway, I'll be in my car for a few hours tonight (only place I can get the surround effect right now).....

Old 09-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Breakout

I've not really paid any attention to the new release of SWW. Will I be able to notice the better quality on a normal CD player (or on my laptop, with 2 speakers and a subwoofer?), or is it just if you've got surround sound speakers?

Is a dual disc double-sided? What's on the other side?
Cheers

Last edited by Graz; 09-21-2005 at 08:35 PM..
Old 09-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Next 100 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Jolo

Great! Can't wait for my DualDiscs to arrive next week!
Old 09-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
I've not really paid any attention to the new release of SWW. Will I be able to notice the better quality on a normal CD player (or on my laptop, with 2 speakers and a subwoofer?), or is it just if you've got surround sound speakers?

Is a dual disc double-sided? What's on the other side?
Cheers
I think you will hear it. It has been remastered so it should sound cleaner but I have not tried it. It is double sided. One side is just the album the other side is the surround mix plus some of the videos.

My car does DVD-A. I have some confusion because this is not a DVDA but from what I've heard, some of the dual discs are working in DVD-A players and some are not. I can't confirm that but I can confirm I get the 5.1 for both SWW and HAND.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Friends will be friends
Bounce

Most likely is that some of them have a proper DVD-Audio layer, which uses MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) files recorded at 96khz/24-bit generally, so they are not compressed like a disc that uses Dolby or DTS.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
Most likely is that some of them have a proper DVD-Audio layer, which uses MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) files recorded at 96khz/24-bit generally, so they are not compressed like a disc that uses Dolby or DTS.
Yeah I just finished the disc on my laptop with headphones. When you do that, it still sounds like a different record. The changes are signifigant. I think Never Say Goodbye has the most changes. There are more layers to it now. I hope they release the whole catalog like this. I'd like to know more about the technical stuff. If we post these questions to the main site do they answer back? Whats the best way to rip the new versions to mp3, wav or aac? I notice iTunes does not recognize the DVD side. The CD side has the original versions.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Jovi Freak

I“m a little bit confused about that dual disc thing, so perhaps you could clarify one thing. Am I able to listen that cd (the dvd part of it) with regular dvd player or do I need a dvd player that has a support for DVD-A? I“ve been planning to buy that new version of SWW but if it doesn“t work on normal player, there“s no need to buy it then.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

I'm more interested in the DVD part of the DualDisk as I already own the 1998 remastered CD version. Obviously cause I'm from the UK I'd have to get an import from Amazon. If I find it cheap somewhere (cheap for an import anyway) I will buy it, but I'm in no real rush.

What about the videos? Are they remixed in 5.1 aswell? ANy other extrax on the DVD?

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:22 AM
Friends will be friends
Bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stut
I“m a little bit confused about that dual disc thing, so perhaps you could clarify one thing. Am I able to listen that cd (the dvd part of it) with regular dvd player or do I need a dvd player that has a support for DVD-A? I“ve been planning to buy that new version of SWW but if it doesn“t work on normal player, there“s no need to buy it then.
This particular dualdisc apparently has the surround mix in Dolby 5.1 so no, you don't need a specific DVD-A player, it should play on any basic surround sound system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2k86
I'm more interested in the DVD part of the DualDisk as I already own the 1998 remastered CD version. Obviously cause I'm from the UK I'd have to get an import from Amazon. If I find it cheap somewhere (cheap for an import anyway) I will buy it, but I'm in no real rush.
I reccomend that you try www.dvdsoon.com. It is a Canadian site and they ship worldwide and have the dualdisc of SWW and HAND for <£10 (+p&p) which is cheaper than most regular albums over here, I'm going to get both in the next couple of weeks I think
Old 09-22-2005, 01:32 AM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
This particular dualdisc apparently has the surround mix in Dolby 5.1 so no, you don't need a specific DVD-A player, it should play on any basic surround sound system.

I reccomend that you try www.dvdsoon.com. It is a Canadian site and they ship worldwide and have the dualdisc of SWW and HAND for <£10 (+p&p) which is cheaper than most regular albums over here, I'm going to get both in the next couple of weeks I think
Cheers, I shall check that out now!

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.