Home Register Members FAQ

John Shanks

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 08:01 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveline View Post
I've read an interview with Jon once, where he said he didn't want to continue with the band but Shanks encouraged him to do so. It's not Phil who's "filling Richie's shoes" but Shanks, who conveniently became Jon's right hand-man on and off stage. Phil is just a happy guy playing some well-known tunes as accurately as possible, while it's Shanks' guitar on the actual tracks, on the actual stage and with him having a finger in every pie.
Oooh I'd love to read that interview.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:17 PM
Jovi FANatic

An ideal scenario for me would be a jon & richie mini tour...
10-15 theaters in an acoustic setting. An ep with 3-4 songs as well.
Not big come backs...not huge plans with the machine. Just give it a try, the chemistry imo is still there..and the commitment would be managable.
Jon wised up after richies departure...maybe his vocal decline played a huge role as well but the touring is far less, the promo almost non existent, and to be honest, if richie wanted back, and is sober, then he has every right imo to be back.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Oooh I'd love to read that interview.
And I wish I saved all the links that could come in handy whenever you need them x_x

I'll try to look for it
Old 09-12-2018, 09:24 PM
The Distance

Quote:
I've read an interview with Jon once, where he said he didn't want to continue with the band but Shanks encouraged him to do so. It's not Phil who's "filling Richie's shoes" but Shanks, who conveniently became Jon's right hand-man on and off stage. Phil is just a happy guy playing some well-known tunes as accurately as possible, while it's Shanks' guitar on the actual tracks, on the actual stage and with him having a finger in every pie.
I don't believe that...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 09:58 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
I don't believe that...

With the amount of BJ material I go through every day, it's all jumble now, but I can swear there was something like this between the lines and I'll try to look for it in the next few days.

And I do follow Phil on social media, his twitter, the interviews, etc. You can put two and two together.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:04 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos greece View Post
An ideal scenario for me would be a jon & richie mini tour...
10-15 theaters in an acoustic setting. An ep with 3-4 songs as well.
Not big come backs...not huge plans with the machine. Just give it a try, the chemistry imo is still there..and the commitment would be managable.
Ding! Ding!! Ding!!!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:13 PM
Jovi Freak

In JBJ's Rock Hall speech he said one of his angels was John Shanks "they all helped put me back together again"
Old 09-12-2018, 11:28 PM
These Days

Quote:
True. While Richie's drinking problems are a fact, the "why?" question clearly has many answers. I can totally picture him drinking and some sort of avoiding Jon/his duties in the band because of being a fifth wheel to Jon and his then best buddy in the studio...
And I'm tired of talking about Richie's ego because man, let's face it, without him the classic sound of BJ wouldn't be there. It'd be a totally different band! So him being one of the founding fathers and undeniably the tight songwriting team with Jon, he worked his ass off to be where he is now. Jon actually said that what distinguished Richie from all other guitar players was talent and passion. No doubt he gave all he could give to this little project called Bon Jovi and no wonder he got unhappy with the way his child grew up sorta ignoring/belittling his parent.
There are no winners and losers here. The "sh*t didn't hit the fan" in 2013, Jon. It was much, much earlier...
This I can totally agree with. And for the record, when I mentioned Richie's ego earlier, I wasn't talking about "ego", as in an over-blown sense of self-importance. I was referring more to the psychological meaning, as in self-identification or the way he defines himself.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:51 PM
The Distance

Quote:
True. While Richie's drinking problems are a fact, the "why?" question clearly has many answers. I can totally picture him drinking and some sort of avoiding Jon/his duties in the band because of being a fifth wheel to Jon and his then best buddy in the studio...
And I'm tired of talking about Richie's ego because man, let's face it, without him the classic sound of BJ wouldn't be there. It'd be a totally different band! So him being one of the founding fathers and undeniably the tight songwriting team with Jon, he worked his ass off to be where he is now. Jon actually said that what distinguished Richie from all other guitar players was talent and passion. No doubt he gave all he could give to this little project called Bon Jovi and no wonder he got unhappy with the way his child grew up sorta ignoring/belittling his parent.
There are no winners and losers here. The "sh*t didn't hit the fan" in 2013, Jon. It was much, much earlier. Shanks was a contributing factor, too. Sorry, can't take to the guy at all and believe me, I've tried.
Quote:
So are you saying that it's now Jon's fault that Richie's an alcoholic???

Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 AM
Posting everyday

Absolutely!

Jon has said in 1989: "This isn't a democracy, trust me, I've often thought about killing all the other members of the band."

His first attempt was in the late 80's when he drove them all to alcohol abuse. Tico, Richie and Alec were the victims and in South America he got David that nasty parasite. But all survived. So he went on one by one. In 1994 he had destroyed Alec and went on working on Richie.
That maniac bounced back a couple of times, hence Jon saying in early 2012 "30 years later, I can't get rid of them" with an evil grin. After succeeding in 2013, he was on such a high that he tried to kill off Tico, but the hitman survived two emergency surgeries.
Hence Jon falling into depression and losing his voice. Be realized he's the most untalented serial killer in the history of the United States.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk